Forums vs Chats

zoop

I overwhelmingly prefer forums because:

• forum discussions are searchable and public - with chat, unless you're keeping history it's gone. Even with chat history, finding specific discussions and information later can be VERY difficult if you don't remember the timeslot and/or keywords.
  • forum discussions they can be linked to and rediscovered with relative ease, assuming it has a decent title and categorised correctly.

So many times have I tried to search online for a solution to a technical problem or product comparisons and forums almost always come out on top, because they're usually unbiased and genuine (many blogs and web pages may not always be neutral or have a commercial bias). But the mobile experience for forums still isn't as good as it could be.

Chat doesn't really work for me these days due to time zone conflicts and I practically cannot do live chat due to the nature of having full-time work hours. Of course for a live event such as gaming or having a conference, you can't beat the dynamic nature of chat...

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3
  • Winner 1

• 2 months later...

I been on many forums and chats before in the past. I did like both for a while but now really thinking about it I have to say I like forums better. It's just fun I think in my opinion to share your thoughts then so people can read and reply than quickly saying it in a chat room. True, its much faster to chat in a chat room expressing yourself or saying something, but you can just talk to people on other stuff for IMing. So I'm all for forums still.

• Like 2