Horror vs Gore

Etyo

So from my experience watching Anime for just over 10 years, I have never come across an Anime that has actual horror. I have seen many gore Anime, but from experiencing horror in Hollywood films and many Asain films I am yet to come across an Anime that is truly horrifying. If we look at the definition of Horror Google defines it as "an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust." but the old definition of it includes the word "hatred". So my question to you is: is there any Anime that has all of these, which left you truly frightened? Yes, there are many with the shock and disgust feeling. Bring me something with them all, I am yet to be convinced that they even exist.

This is something I've always wondered about anime as well. I've yet to come across a 'true' horror anime. It's either zombies or monsters. It doesn't involve ghosts, slow moments of tension, suspense and build-up in dark places, the occasional jump-scares. The only one that has some moments of horror is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. But, it is a psychological thriller for the most part. Another is also something that's closer to horror than most shows that call themselves as belonging to the genre, but, it's still a slasher.

• Like 1

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni of this I am not convinced lol. This show is definitely just gore galore. It's an overstatement to say that this is a horror or even close to a thriller, this show was just plainly ridiculous. xD I don't know about this one.

Hrm, anime i haven't but I've read a few manga that's scary and the author I'm about to recommend does quiet good work. Junji ito's work isn't just gorey (although it can have that at times) but revolves around making the mundane horrifying or taking a weird concept and playing up the horror of that. One example is the fault of amigara which is about people shaped holes appearing in a mountain. I can't remmember the name of the next one but it involved balloon heads murdering people (if you google it it should come up). Of course there is his most well known one uzumaki which is all about spirals and that gets pretty spoopy.

But yea next season or the one after is supposed to contain a sort of compilation of his various works. Hope this helps if your looking for scary.

• Winner 1

• Geano locked this topic