The Oscars

RepentantSky

Now normally, I wouldn't talk about anything like this, but I think it's important in this case. There are no anime films in the Oscars this year, and while normally that's an expected turnout, in a year where we get "In This Corner of the World" "A Silent Voice" and mostly notably "Your Name" that seems like a pretty egregious oversight, if I'm being kind. Now on the one hand I get it, the Oscars tend to pick films that are artsy or risky or some cases like freakin' Boss Baby, entirely stupid, and more importantly are either made by the United States or France, but it's hard to argue that 2017 was not the most important year in anime history, especially in the films department, since probably the early 2000's when Spirited Away was released to the world. To have all three of those films excluded at a time where anime has really shown that it can tackle some tough issues so well, or treat an often comedic idea with such seriousness that you have to love it, it's hard to accept this exclusion. Anime has always had this connotation behind it, or this stigma that leaves most people are afraid to admit to liking it for fear shunned of being open about it, and while it's fair to argue that perhaps none of these three films are quite up to Studio Ghibli standards, it isn't fair to say that they aren't the best the medium has to offer right now. And that's not saying that these are downgrades, but for the Oscars to ignore anime films in a year where they feel like Boss Baby is a suitable replacement, says a lot about how they should be looked at. Animated movies this year were terrible in terms of quantity that was also high quality, yet we have three genuine contenders to go against Coco which is really the only film the Oscars recognized that deserves anything, trust me, I've seen all the films they nominated, and none of them even come close to Coco, is frustrating to say the least. I don't know, that's how I'm seeing things right now, how about the rest of you?     

Edited by RepentantSky

I’m no expert, but from what I understand most films promote themselves to the people who choose the films to be nominated. This advertisement requires a lot of money and I doubt Japanese companies want to use their money to get an Oscar which might not be worth it compared to the money they would have to spend advertising. Also, I doubt the the majority of people (in the U.S) cares about anime. Again, I might be completely wrong about it this.

You do have to try and bribe people a bit to get a nomination, but even getting that nom can make your movie's sales skyrocket to the point that any anime movie would probably see at least a 2 times increase in revenue, and put them on the map for future nominations which can have the same effect.  

• Geano locked this topic