HTTPS issues

PenguinO

Question

I'm still using an outdated OS on my main computer.

Update to new OS on that computer is not a good idea because it will mess up a lot.

I'm still using that computer because its spec is high.

The problem is some websites that use HTTPS is no more accessible by that computer.

No HTTPS problem with big commercial sites.

Until now I'm browsing some HTTPS site by remote into another low-spec computer so
it's not a good experience.

I wonder why many sites that feature HTTPS do not have HTTP fallback.

Also only few non-commercial HTTPS sites are accessible by old OS like WinXP/2003.

7 answers to this question

47 minutes ago, PenguinO said:

I'm still using an outdated OS on my main computer.

Update to new OS on that computer is not a good idea because it will mess up a lot.

I'm still using that computer because its spec is high.

The problem is some websites that use HTTPS is no more accessible by that computer.

No HTTPS problem with big commercial sites.

Until now I'm browsing some HTTPS site by remote into another low-spec computer so
it's not a good experience.

I wonder why many sites that feature HTTPS do not have HTTP fallback.

Also only few non-commercial HTTPS sites are accessible by old OS like WinXP/2003.

It sounds like your having more then one issue that way look like one problem even though it may be many.

I want to start off by answering your question on the protocol fall back. That isn't exactly how it works. http, or https are functions used by your browser, and the website in question to deliver the information to you. The only difference between http, and https is the security more sespficily the encryption of the traffic while using the site. It can be more complicated then that, but just wanted to help clarify this first. Last point here is the website in question dose make the choice to use one or the other not both.

As far as the issue you are likely having it sounds like you may have some corrupted temp files causing certain sites that originally downloaded them for you to view the site not to display properly, or at all. You should try running a disk clean up on a windows machine. Also go ahead, and delete all cashes from your web browser including those temp files. You may also want to reset your browser to its default settings as well to ensure its operating properly. It may not hurt to update your browser too while your at it.

There is also a good chance you need to call your ISP as they may have some configurations that got messed up on their end.

I also wanted to ask how comfortable are you with working with your modam, or router? Wanted to ask before I go any further plus I think may be best to try these things first.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Thanks for advice but I think I know the problem already from the start.

However, there is no solution unless I spend money for new computer and new OS or just leave then come when able.

Some sites I know that use HTTPS forcefully suffer instant lost of users because people there were not ready at that time.

1 minute ago, PenguinO said:

Thanks for advice but I think I know the problem already from the start.

However, there is no solution unless I spend money for new computer and new OS or just leave then come when able.

Some sites I know that use HTTPS forcefully suffer instant lost of users because people there were not ready at that time.

Dose your comp come with a recovery portion. If so you can always try running that to get it back to defaults if your thinking of the reinstall OS route that may help.

On 8/26/2018 at 11:12 AM, ArchieKun said:

Dose your comp come with a recovery portion. If so you can always try running that to get it back to defaults if your thinking of the reinstall OS route that may help.

No.

I think I found the root cause.

It's the cloud services that do not provide support for old OS with free/economy package.

They save the legacy support for premium services (targeted for big e-commerce players).

I can still browse here from a remote computer but it's just not convenient.

2 minutes ago, PenguinO said:

No.

I think I found the root cause.

It's the cloud services that do not provide support for old OS with free/economy package.

They save the legacy support for premium services (targeted for big e-commerce players).

I can still browse here from a remote computer but it's just not convenient.

I see well I am glad that you were able to at least figure out the issue. Thats to bad they don't support your platform though. Guess just gotta do what you can. Upgrading your system may be a good idea though if you have the budget, or will in the future from a security standpoint not just a comparability one.

Hello, this is PenguinO.

I'm switching to a new computer now so there is no nore HTTPS issue to me.

Please lock this thread if required.

PS. I still prefer the old HTTP over HTTPS because of less overhead and the caching (proxy) is much easier to do.

4 hours ago, PenguinO said:

Hello, this is PenguinO.

I'm switching to a new computer now so there is no nore HTTPS issue to me.

Please lock this thread if required.

PS. I still prefer the old HTTP over HTTPS because of less overhead and the caching (proxy) is much easier to do.

Thanks for letting us know glad everything is working well on your end.