Video cameras

Optic

Do you own a camcorder or video camera?

If so what projects do you create using it?

• Filming events?
  • Making short films?
  • Holidays?
  • For work? (e.g. interviews)

I've been using camcorders mainly for filming events during my school years and occasionally on holiday.

The only downside to filming events though is you tend to watch an event through the lens instead of being able to immerse yourself in it fully.

Anyone else that has a video camera? :)

I finally bought my first video camera almost a year ago. I used to aspire to be a filmmaker, but that ship has sailed.

Anyway, I bought it for the sake of doing my vlogs on YouTube, as well as some movie reviews. I had to buy an external microphone for that, because the internal one sucks. It cost me a lot, but the vlogs ended up in discontinuation after only a few videos... yeah.

I might try and film something again in the future, if I ever feel motivated to be a filmmaker ever again, which I highly doubt. But oh well.

Out of curiosity, what external microphone did you go for? A shotgun one or a lapel one? :)

I have quite a few different microphones, from a Rode NTG-2 to a Rode Stereo VideoMic.

Out of curiosity, what external microphone did you go for? A shotgun one or a lapel one? :)

I chose a Yeti microphone. It's pretty decent, but I still receive some background noise when I record. *shrugs* Oh well. lol

500x_yeti_mic.jpg.a451a533b847f46ee1e23a82e686c72b.jpg

• Like 1

That's a pretty high-end microphone. By background noise do you mean interference (buzzing, hum, hiss?) or do you mean it's picking up ambient background noise?

It's normal to get some hiss, I found this the case with all the microphones I've used so far. In the end we're still using consumer to mid-level preamps. Not studio ones. >_<

• Like 1

That's a pretty high-end microphone. By background noise do you mean interference (buzzing, hum, hiss?) or do you mean it's picking up ambient background noise?

It's normal to get some hiss, I found this the case with all the microphones I've used so far. In the end we're still using consumer to mid-level preamps. Not studio ones. >_<

Yeah, I think it was a hum. It's like one of those background noises you get in an enclosed room, even with your electrical appliances turned off. I'm not too sure, to be honest, as I haven't recorded anything for a long time, and I have really bad memory. haha...