What is your favorite anime you watched, from the year you started watching anime?

RepentantSky

We all remember the first anime we watch I'm sure. Some of us can probably even remember the world as we saw it at the time we watched whatever show our first was, but how many of us can say that our first anime was the best that came out that year? Honestly, I'd be interested to see of that's the case with anyone. So, with that in mind, what was your favorite anime that was released the first year you got into it?

For me, it was probably Mobile Suit Victory Gundam. Back then, I liked a lot more action based anime, to the point where even though I'd seen every Studio Ghibli film that had been been released to the West at the time, I didn't like them even close to as much, and I mean, well, look at my avatar now. I guess that just shows how much we can change as we age.

Wow... I never thought about it until now. I remember playing the Fatal Fury games as a kid. I love(d) those games to death. One day when I was about 7 or 8 years old, I randomly saw the Fatal Fury Anime on VHS at the mall for over 30 bucks. After begging my parents to get it, I got to see my first anime ever. That was the first time I saw blood in a cartoon, I loved it!! Soon afterwards, I got a hold of the second Fatal Fury movie and that one was even better. That is pretty much the only anime I watched that year until Yugioh started coming out on TV which I really loved as well. I cannot say which one I loved better because I loved both of those cartoons!!

I was watching TV and then came the naruto episode, where sakura cuts her hair I think they were fighting a team from the sound village. After that I searched for naruto and got stuck watching anime :-)

My first anime was DBZ, around the time Toonami was its own block. At the time, I did not even know what anime was. Just tried experimenting with other titles after that, and became fond of the medium.

• Like 1

My first anime was DBZ, around the time Toonami was its own block. At the time, I did not even know what anime was. Just tried experimenting with other titles after that, and became fond of the medium.

I never got into DBZ as I never got to watch it, although i'd watch the YuGiOh anime all the time

I never got into DBZ as I never got to watch it, although i'd watch the YuGiOh anime all the time

I see. It is available online, if you want to watch it, but I would not rate it as a high quality anime.

I kind of remember hating Yu-Gi-Oh!, until I read through the manga version of the pre-duelist kingdom stuff.

• Like 1

I see. It is available online, if you want to watch it, but I would not rate it as a high quality anime.

I kind of remember hating Yu-Gi-Oh!, until I read through the manga version of the pre-duelist kingdom stuff.

Yeah, I've debated it, just doesn't appeal to me I guess. I never really watched it for the show, I just watched it because my friends played the card game!

Yeah, I've debated it, just doesn't appeal to me I guess. I never really watched it for the show, I just watched it because my friends played the card game!

I see. That makes sense. Before duelist kingdom, there was not too much focus on the card game, and I hated how it had so much on it, and few variations on it.

Hearing that your friend played the game reminded me of a conversation I had with somebody that played the game, and they said that the cards did not act like they do in the show.

• Agree 1

You know what's odd with DBZ, it's that back in the day, that was about the only anime we had available so everyone treats it like it's a good intro to anime as a whole, and that's just not true. I mean for starters, the first Dragonball series is better for that because it's not as over the top, and more than that, DBZ set the standard for anime in the late 80's and 90's so it's not the most refined version of the tropes used from it that later shows borrowed. It also doesn't help that the first dub of the show was made at a time when acting well wasn't as important it was later on, and even the funimation dub saw some of the actors taking awhile to really fit in the shoes of the characters they were playing. Yu-gi-oh has it's over the top moments for sure, but by and large it makes more sense than DBZ, or at least it's easier to process.

You know what's odd with DBZ, it's that back in the day, that was about the only anime we had available so everyone treats it like it's a good intro to anime as a whole, and that's just not true. I mean for starters, the first Dragonball series is better for that because it's not as over the top, and more than that, DBZ set the standard for anime in the late 80's and 90's so it's not the most refined version of the tropes used from it that later shows borrowed. It also doesn't help that the first dub of the show was made at a time when acting well wasn't as important it was later on, and even the funimation dub saw some of the actors taking awhile to really fit in the shoes of the characters they were playing. Yu-gi-oh has it's over the top moments for sure, but by and large it makes more sense than DBZ, or at least it's easier to process.

Yeah, I would have to agree with that much.

Unfortunately, Dragon Ball did not due to well here, until DBZ ended and FUNimation dubbed Dragon Ball, since I never heard of the Harmony Gold dub until I was acquainted with anime.

Hi guys!

I watched plenty of anime when I was younger, but I was never really hooked. That is until I watched Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. I loved it. It has a solid story, and there are no loopholes in the plot. There's satisfying romance and enough action to keep me interested. I love main characters like Kira Yamato and Lacus Clyne. Action and Romance is mainly what I'm looking for. I want the characters to be with each other, even before the story ends. I also like how mature the coversations are in the anime. Code Geass is awesome too, but it lacks romance.

Can anyone recommend any anime that fits what I'm looking for? Something like Mirai Nikki.

Thank you.

Edited by Guest

We all remember the first anime we watch I'm sure. Some of us can probably even remember the world as we saw it at the time we watched whatever show our first was, but how many of us can say that our first anime was the best that came out that year? Honestly, I'd be interested to see of that's the case with anyone. So, with that in mind, what was your favorite anime that was released the first year you got into it?

For me, it was probably Mobile Suit Victory Gundam. Back then, I liked a lot more action based anime, to the point where even though I'd seen every Studio Ghibli film that had been been released to the West at the time, I didn't like them even close to as much, and I mean, well, look at my avatar now. I guess that just shows how much we can change as we age.

My favorite shonen anime I watched when I started back in 2013 were Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist, even though I watched Pokemon as a kid back in 1999-2001.

I once thought that Anime was dumb (I can feel many of you giving me dirty looks.) But now, I own several plushies and a body pillow of my waifu, Hanji zoe and also think that anybody who hates anime should die in a hole. But If I were to guess, I would say Gate: Jietei Kanoichi Nite Kakuru Takeri (I Butchered That Name) Is probably the best anime i've watched so far.

• Like 1

Hmm, well the very first anime I watched was Hayo Mayazaki's Spirited Away and that was in what, 2013, 2014? And it was the only thing I watched that year at all. If you count Daft Punk's Interstella 5555 as an anime then I watched that maybe very late that same year?

I watched a hell of a lot of Studio Ghibli in 2015 and found that my favourite from that year was Arrietty because wow I have seen that sooo many times now. Kiki's Delivery Service is awesome too.

First TV anime was Fairy Tail in January 2016 and it took me until April that year to watch 40 episodes and finally drop it.

First anime I finished was Steins;Gate too.

And it makes me feel sick thinking about it, but every anime I just mentioned, I watched them... in English dub :?:'(

TL;DR - Arrietty, Fairy Tail, and Steins;Gate.

From the year I started watching anime... Hmm... that would be like, 2003-2004, which I have no recollection of.

I do remember a local TV station here in our country showing a few anime, namely Shakugan no Shana, Yamato Nadeshiko, Special A and a few more others, which are probably my first bunch of anime. lol.

That said, my favorite was Shakugan no Shana, simply because I was too young back then and Action genre was what looked the most interesting for me.

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic