Australia Discussion

Optic

Welcome to the Australia Discussion thread! Open to all members to discuss and ask any questions regarding Australia.

Lets start with a guess the photo game!

What is the name of this Australian bird?

australia-bird.jpg.071aee46e7235072ba10513223d3eb0e.jpg

Uhhhhh... Is that an Eagle? :o

;)

No silly. :P

Is that the Laughing Kookaburra?

Correct! :D

Rhodenspire perhaps you have some questions about Australia that we could answer for you? Can be anything, lifestyle, products, animals, wildlife... :)

• 2 years later...

Time for a few questions!

1.) What kind of food is Australia known for?

2.) What kind of Government does Australia have?

3.) What are some of the tourist attractions? (I know about the Great Barrier Reef)

One of my favorite authors is Australian!

John Flanagan!

I remember a few years ago when Steve Irwin passed away due to a stingray......sad day... :'(

I would love to hear any random trivia about Australia that you think is interesting!

1.) What kind of food is Australia known for?

That's a pretty broad question. If you mean strictly Australian foods then the most popular ones though would be Vegemite (yeast extract), Tim Tams, Sausage Rolls, Meat Pies and Fish and chips (especially if you are in a coastal suburb overlooking the beach or river) :)

2.) What kind of Government does Australia have?

The Australian government website explains this much better than I ever could.

In a nutshell, we have Federal, State and Local (council) level governments. We MUST vote during Federal and State elections, otherwise you get fined. Of course there are exceptions, if you're sick or on holiday (but you would still be expected to do a

postal vote"). If you're curious on how Australian elections work, this Wikipedia article explains it well.

3.) What are some of the tourist attractions? (I know about the Great Barrier Reef)

Sydney Opera House, Ayer's Rock (Uluru), the whole city of Melbourne in Victoria (the only Australian city left with a fully functioning Tram system and has a vibrant art and restaurant culture), Bondi Beach (your typical Australian beach).

I live in Western Australia, so some of the popular ones here are Rottnest Island, Penguin Island and Margaret River (wineries, etc.)

But there is more than just the tourist hotspots. The weather is great here so if you're into outdoor stuff you'll love it. Lots of camping opportunities, walking trails, beaches.

I remember a few years ago when Steve Irwin passed away due to a stingray......sad day... :'(

Yes, I recall that day well. Everyone was in disbelief that day. I think everyone (myself included) felt he would have a long career but to pass away so suddenly during filming was just so unexpected. His daughter and partner are continuing his legacy.

I would love to hear any random trivia about Australia that you think is interesting!

Guess what Australian animal this is? ;)

248203224b4b50039a2a54627f7e3a77.thumb.jpg.7395a529aae694e9e1eab1162a856280.jpg

That's a pretty broad question. If you mean strictly Australian foods then the most popular ones though would be Vegemite (yeast extract), Tim Tams, Sausage Rolls, Meat Pies and Fish and chips (especially if you are in a coastal suburb overlooking the beach or river) :)

After some Googling, I now know what Vegemite and Tim Tams are. I think I'd rather try the Tim Tams :P.

The Australian government website explains this much better than I ever could.

In a nutshell, we have Federal, State and Local (council) level governments. We MUST vote during Federal and State elections, otherwise you get fined. Of course there are exceptions, if you're sick or on holiday (but you would still be expected to do a

postal vote"). If you're curious on how Australian elections work, this Wikipedia article explains it well.

Interesting, it sounds kinda like a combination of British Parliament and the American Government.

Our government doesn't seem to care if we vote or not. It's quite interesting. I'll have to read more on it.

Sydney Opera House, Ayer's Rock (Uluru), the whole city of Melbourne in Victoria (the only Australian city left with a fully functioning Tram system and has a vibrant art and restaurant culture), Bondi Beach (your typical Australian beach).

I live in Western Australia, so some of the popular ones here are Rottnest Island, Penguin Island and Margaret River (wineries, etc.)

Oooh....I think I wouldn't mind going to Melbourne. It sounds wonderful! I bet the Sydney Opera House is amazing too!

But there is more than just the tourist hotspots. The weather is great here so if you're into outdoor stuff you'll love it. Lots of camping opportunities, walking trails, beaches.

I'm a video-gaming, book reading, anime-watching inside type of guy. :P

I've never been camping and I don't care for beaches. Walking trails might be fun.

Yes, I recall that day well. Everyone was in disbelief that day. I think everyone (myself included) felt he would have a long career but to pass away so suddenly during filming was just so unexpected. His daughter and partner are continuing his legacy.

I'm glad it wasn't a crocodile that killed him since he loved them so much. I almost didn't recognize Bindi when I saw a recent picture of her. Her dad would be so proud of her.

Guess what Australian animal this is? ;)

248203224b4b50039a2a54627f7e3a77.thumb.jpg.96a464deaae6160137048e327908620e.jpg

I think it's a Quokka.

• 2 weeks later...
Oooh....I think I wouldn't mind going to Melbourne. It sounds wonderful! I bet the Sydney Opera House is amazing too!

As much as I love Melbourne... I must confess, I have never been to Sydney. The thing is, from Perth to Sydney it's a 4.5 hour flight. That alone kinda deterred me whehn you consider that from Perth to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) it's 6 hours. Bump that up to 10 hours to reach Tokyo. xD tl;dr I always preferred going to international countries than Australian places because of this.

I think it's a Quokka.

Yup! Pretty cute aren't they? ;)

As much as I love Melbourne... I must confess, I have never been to Sydney. The thing is, from Perth to Sydney it's a 4.5 hour flight. That alone kinda deterred me whehn you consider that from Perth to Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) it's 6 hours. Bump that up to 10 hours to reach Tokyo. xD tl;dr I always preferred going to international countries than Australian places because of this.

Oh wow! I didn't realize just how long of a flight that would be.....I don't blame you for preferring to go international countries!

Yup! Pretty cute aren't they? ;)

Yeah....I just want to cuddle one :P