Making Games "Challenging"

MeandMyImaginaryFriends

Are there any challenges you place upon yourself, when playing games that aren't already part of the mechanics in place? Like how people play Pokemon Nuzlockes or play the game without grinding and only fighting the battles that appear en direct route to the next town. With fighting games it gets a little easier cause you can place a challenge on specific characters or just the roster as a whole. Like if I'm playing Smash with some friends we can make it so that no one can jump and if they do they immediately lose a stock. Or say if I'm playing Ness, I have to win without pressing the B button.

I get bored of games very easily cause more games require just the little bit of grinding and then you end up beating the game. Also how would you do that for games that have a more linear progression like RPGS? Like I've been playing the Yakuza Games, and I love it but I have a lot of freedom to do much of anything except the main stories. What do you like doing to spice those super linear games up a little?

21 hours ago, MeandMyImaginaryFriends said:

Are there any challenges you place upon yourself, when playing games that aren't already part of the mechanics in place?

I do.  I don’t play many of those super-linear games anymore because then I feel need to play it “perfectly” to get a challenge out of it. Probably not explaining that well but it is just a personality quirk in my head that makes me endlessly replay games that I feel I finished too quickly or too easily until I get a perfect score or all the Easter eggs or all the bonus loot or whatever.

I also do things like “speed running” a game and trying to beat the clock.  If I’m playing (for instance) a game like sudoku on my phone that doesn’t have a score or a time limit I still feel like I didn’t successfully solve the puzzle unless I beat my old best time, or at least “within a minute” or some such arbitrary, self-imposed extra criteria.

• Like 1