2021 - The Year in Anime

Ohayotaku

So another year has come & gone 🥳  I’m curious to what other members think of this past year’s anime. Highlights? Low points? Overall trends?

Starting things off with my take on things:

2021 Favorites (New)

86 (Eighty-six) • Mushoku Tensei • Don’t Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro • Kemono Jihen • Shadows House • Mieruko-chan • Ranking of Kings • Tropical Rouge Pretty Cure • Odd Taxi • The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace

2021 Favorites (Sequels/Continuations)

Fruits Basket Final • Jujutsu Kaisen (2nd cour) • Attack on Titan Final Season pt 1 • Nomad: Megalo Box • Demon Slayer season 2 • Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun season 2 • Yuru Camp season 2• Zombie Land Saga Revenge• Higurashi: When They Cry Gou/Sotsu • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime season 2

Anime of the Year: Fruits Basket Final

2021 Disappointments

The Promised Neverland season 2 • Wonder Egg Priority • Log Horizon season 3 • Komi Can’t Communicate • Platinum End

Overall trends: production delays, recap episodes, shorter seasons, split cours

Edited by Ohayotaku

1 hour ago, Ohayotaku said:

So another year has come & gone 🥳  I’m curious to what other members think of this past year’s anime. Highlights? Low points? Overall trends?

Overall trends: production delays, recap episodes, shorter seasons, split cours

To be honest, I don't entirely know if I have yet to see something from the year just gone... however I did here about a few of the issues in the wider industry due to remote working which caused production delays, some recap episodes and overall shorter seasons. Which is similar to Film or Gaming in that respect, all Media got royally screwed up due to Covid. However it's interesting to see which have been able to recover, some advance in terms of revenue and which have fallen on there face. 

And example of that would be Manga vs Comics. Manga despite Covid sticking global shipping seemed to actually thrive this year. Comics didn't. I attribute that more due to the pre-standing issues in that industry before Covid than Covid being the reason for its downfall. The pandemics didn't help but pedalling shit before, during and after lockdowns didn't help. Online stores such as Steam actually saw an uptick in revenue so I bet Anime streaming services likely also saw a boom due to lots of people stuck in there homes - which makes sense. 

A personal anecdote is that before the pandemic I had never discussed anime to anyone besides my brother and one other friend (the other friend briefly) and then after the pandemic (after I'd got more invested in the medium due to all the time I had on my hands) more people in general nerd culture were interested in anime and manga all of a sudden. 

• Like 1