Should I start watching mecha anime?

LensFlareHD

Should, I? I've always put it off, idk why really: Pros and Cons? Also, are there any recommendations?

yes you should mecha is the best although mecha show like the gundam series and almost all of the super robot series tend to substitute character development and plot with big explosions and epic fights there's also the sub genre of philosophical and character development focused mecha shows such as raxhepon fafner in the azure and evangelion if you are unsure where to start with you can just watch kuromukuro that's airing this season

[MEDIA=dailymotion]x44fo3o[/MEDIA]

I recommend RahXephon, I see it as the "better" version of Evangelion; I recommend watching the series to RahXephon over the movie, but that's my preference, both tell relatively the same story, but the movie's more condensed, and has an alternate ending!

That said, Rebuild of Evangelion is changing my opinion of Evangelion, that said, 2.22 anyway, 1.11 was basically the same as the corresponding episodes of the series, I think 3.33 still hasn't been released here, in the UK, but I'd have to check!

If you want some crazy mecha, there's Diebuster (Gunbuster 2/Aim for the Top), which features a girl called Nono aiming to be Topless (an elite pilot), or GadGuard (kid stumbles across an "unawakened" mecha, and fights crime, or I think that was the plan); Diebuster's predecessor Gunbuster is more grounded, although a scene with Noriko inspired the trope "Gainaxing"!

If you want something super-sentai (and fanservice), there's Gravion, Dangaioh, Godannar, Daigard, Maizangar (or however it's spelt), and Gun x Sword (for a couple of episodes, the super-sentai bit I'm referring to)!

I've still gotta get round to watching Majestic Prince at somepoint!

I'm sure I thought of another one, ah yes, Betterman, oh, and if you're into the idea of Steampunk Mecha, there's Sakura Wars, for some of the stories the mecha feature very little!

I'm just trying to way up other series now, as to whether they're mecha or not; Divergence Eve, Full Metal Panic! (can't remember how much mecha was in that now), Suisei no Gargantia, FLCL and Martian Successor Nadesico! I'm sure I know more, but those are the only ones I can think of, off the top of my head!

Unless it's misleading, there's a series called "Steampunk Detectives", nope, wait, I stand corrected, "Steam Detectives", don't know if it involves steam punk, I also don't know I think Ling Ling might have something to do with steampunk!

I am confusing the title with the movie "Steampunk"!

On the subject of Steampunk, I'd say that R.O.D: Read or Die has some, same for Last Exile, Gadguard (well main character's mecha has a bit of steampunk look going on), Samurai Gun has steampunk for one or two episodes, and Samurai 7's a bit steampunk, is it not?

On the subject of other mecha series, I remembered about Burst Angel (in which three of the characters Meg, Amy and Jo share their names with characters from "Little Women"), and Heroman (I'm sure I've seen Lina Davies elsewhere) if you want mecha with an American flare, and cameo by "Stan Lee", as he was the one who thought of the series!

• 4 months later...

I think it all depends on what you're looking for in an anime. It definitely is a genre that is more action based and can at times sacrifice character development. But I don't agree that it always sacrifices plot. But that being said, they don't all sacrifice CD and make for a really fun thing to watch.

Some I've watched and recommend:

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (I watched this one recently and really loved it), Blue Gender (though I really need to rewatch this one as I only remember bits and pieces. I do remember getting into it, though. I was just much younger), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Eureka Seven, Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED, Gurren Lagann, Full Metal Panic, Zoids

Some are a bit more "mecha" than others, that being said and there's still a lot of things I have not watched myself, but I think it's an underrated genre. It has it's nice qualities.

[MEDIA=dailymotion]x44fo3o[/MEDIA]

o_o This looks excellent.

Edited by Guest

• Geano locked this topic