Ashita wa Motto - Yuko Mizutani has passed away

senshikoi

I happened to come across this sad news, by chance, that Yuko Mizutani, seiyuu for Sora in the series up 'til Digimon Adventure -tri- has passed away!

Japanese media and Aoni Production agency announced that Yuko Mizutani dies at age 51 of breast cancer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_I_Be2HDVU

I decided to feature one of Yuko Mizutani's character songs for Sora, so it was either this (Tomorrow I'll Be More),

, If We Fly Together (a duet with Biyomon's seiyuu, Shigemasu Atori),
, or I Wish (Girls Version) but the above song had a good sound to it, and a videoshow of Sora, so decided to stick with this one!

Crunchyroll lists some of her other roles, as well as feature some artwork of the various characters she's voiced, there's a nice one of Sora with wings, and the outstretched hands of Taichi and Yamato!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/05/19-1/veteran-voice-actress-yuko-mizutani-passes-away-at-age-51-artists-pay-tribute

EDIT: Wikimon has her date of death as 17 May 2016, so three days ago!

Edited by Guest

Yes I heard about that. Pretty sad for Tenchi fans too. There are two versions of Ashita wa Motto....but the only difference is that she sings the ending as opposed to whispering it.

After I posted this, I noticed that I should have organised the title better, as from the "preview" of the title on the main page, it looked more like it was just a thread about one of her songs!

True, the Crunchyroll link that I included features a couple of sketches from Twitter of, what I assume are her various roles, wasn't able to identify all of them, but think Tenchi Muyo was there as well!

Ah right, didn't know, that said, when I was searching for the song, I originally only found one that had images of Mewtwo Strikes Back (Pokémon)!

@senshikoi She voiced Mihoshi from Tenchi. That's the main role I associate her with along with Sora.

Ironically, Kikuchi Masami voiced Tenchi. He also voiced Jou originally.

Interesting fact that the two seiyuu starred together in two anime, although to be honest, it's probably not that uncommon!

Think I've only seen a couple of episodes of Tenchi Muyo, and that was as the dub, and I wasn't too keen on it, although with the release of Ai Tenchi Muyo, I'm not considering if I want to watch the whole of the Tenchi Muyo metaseries to watch Ai Tenchi Muyo, or not!

Probably will, it's just finding the time!

Interesting fact that the two seiyuu starred together in two anime, although to be honest, it's probably not that uncommon!

Think I've only seen a couple of episodes of Tenchi Muyo, and that was as the dub, and I wasn't too keen on it, although with the release of Ai Tenchi Muyo, I'm not considering if I want to watch the whole of the Tenchi Muyo metaseries to watch Ai Tenchi Muyo, or not!

Probably will, it's just finding the time!

I honestly haven't kept up with Tenchi in years. I pretty much just stuck to the first series from 1992 (Tenchi Muyo Ryo-oki, which is still going today, technically since it's an OVA series) and Tenchi Muyo! TV (aka Tenchi Universe, which I do have the boxset of, a I really liked it) and I did see the Tenchi Forever movie. Shin Tenchi Muyo (I think the English title was Tenchi in Tokyo) I hated. I also had the other spin off series called Tenchi Muyo GXP, but my DVD player (at the time, my PS2) couldn't play it for some reason. It played the first disc but not the others. Must've had a scratch or something. I've also seen the Mihoshi special, which was pretty cute.

I could never get into the other series/spin-offs much, like the Pretty Sammy series.

That aside, if I were to recommend any Tenchi series to anyone, I always suggest watching either Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-oki or Tenchi Muyo! TV. At least for those series, all the girls weren't in love with Tenchi, or came across that way. The only two that seemed to be into Tenchi were Ryoko and Ayeka. I think that's what annoyed me about Shin Tenchi Muyo. It really did feel like a harem series...all the girls liking Tenchi.

I guess that does show how diverse the franchise a whole is. It has a series for everyone and there are alternate storylines for the majority of these series.

Edit: You know, thinking about it, I would recommend the OVA series over universe. Universe does have the character Kiyone, which is an awesome character, imo....but Mihoshi's character was changed. She became a stereotype of a "dumb blonde". In the OVA series, her character was clumsy and stuff, but she was still competent and took her police work seriously. That change for Universe did bother me.

Edited by Guest

Wow, I think I need to review the correctness of my posts more "I'm not considering if I want to watch"! I know what you mean about difficult DVD players/discs, I have some DVDs that have to be played on a certain device, else I can't watch them!

Thanks for the information, it's interesting about that character re-write, I found a similar thing with Dirty Pair, I think it was with the OVAs (or OVAs and movies), but sometimes Yuri was made the smart one, and Kei the idiot, and then somehow, it was the other way around, when the subject matter (i.e. genetics, or something) was the same!

Wow, I think I need to review the correctness of my posts more "I'm not considering if I want to watch"! I know what you mean about difficult DVD players/discs, I have some DVDs that have to be played on a certain device, else I can't watch them!

Thanks for the information, it's interesting about that character re-write, I found a similar thing with Dirty Pair, I think it was with the OVAs (or OVAs and movies), but sometimes Yuri was made the smart one, and Kei the idiot, and then somehow, it was the other way around, when the subject matter (i.e. genetics, or something) was the same!

I do wonder why some series have changes like that. I know that for Mihoshi in Tenchi, I couldn't help but wonder why they changed her character for the TV series (which is a parallel story to the OVA series). Her partner is Kiyone and her character is smart and very serious. I guess that's why they dumbed Mihoshi down and made her the screw up and it seems for the other spin-offs and series that came out for the Tenchi series that wasn't in continuity with the first OVA series (Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki) has her portrayed in this way. It's a bit mind-boggling.

All this talk about Tenchi, I think I will go and catch myself up on the first OVA series and just start it over from the beginning. Despite the fact it started in 1992, the OVA is still getting releases now. I have no idea where I left off years ago. I can't remember what happened last.

Edited by Guest

It is strange them making changes to pre-established characters, I understand that usually it's because the current "version" is not what they're after, but it's strange to do it, to something pre-established in that continuity; a movie may change a character, but could argue that the original version worked in the book continuity, and wouldn't fit in the movie continuity, unless altered, etc.!

Best idea is always to go back to the start, as there may be something that you've forgotten that will play a "key" part later ;)! Although if you did want to know where you were up to, looking up synopsis online could have helped, perhaps :D!

• Geano locked this topic