Mobile Apps

Fab

In the current time that we live in, mobile apps are like an integral part of our life. Be it games, information apps or even functional apps.

Share with us what Apps you commonly used

I'm currently an Android user.

My main apps include:

• Dolphin Browser
  • Facebook
  • Facebook Messenger
  • Gmail
  • Google Drive
  • Dropbox
  • Metroview (GPS app)
  • Twitter (occasionally)
  • Tumblr (occasionally)

Games I don't play so much on my device as I drive a lot now. During my uni days yes I used to. ;)

I'm a sucker for those time management games (Hotel Dash, Diner Dash for example), text adventures. At the moment I'm hooked on that Simpsons Tapped Out one, the quests are hilarious. :D

I mainly just use Facebook Messenger, Facebook App, Weather App, Google Maps and Skype. But yeah, those games like Diner Dash were fun but I only ever played them on my computer and not on the mobile phone. iPhones have really bad batteries and I don't like playing mobile games on it that will just make the battery go down a lot faster. :( sigh!

My main apps are:

• Facebook
  • Google Map (To get around)
  • Runtastic (To clock my running distance when my iPod is down)
  • EuroSports (For all my latest sports updates)
  • SG Buses (Only SG users, to get bus arrival timings)
  • ORD Countdown (To countdown my remaining time in the Army)
  • Whatsapp

Games are:

• Tower of Saviors

I mainly just use Facebook Messenger, Facebook App, Weather App, Google Maps and Skype. But yeah, those games like Diner Dash were fun but I only ever played them on my computer and not on the mobile phone. iPhones have really bad batteries and I don't like playing mobile games on it that will just make the battery go down a lot faster. :( sigh!

Really? Maybe you should go to an apple store. My battery lasts very long, even with games O.o

I use these quite a lot.

Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Instagram, Soundhound, LiveJournal, Tumblr, Google Maps for navigation in the car.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van AN Community Forums

Don't all smartphones nowadays have weaker battery life due to the amount of running programs that are on in the background constantly? My phone usually last a day before I have to charge it. That's with minimal usage of only texting my friends

Regarding battery life, there are two things to consider.

Firstly as @Fab mentioned yes, naturally it will drain more if there are many background services and apps. Just having Facebook Messenger, Skype, WhatsApp, Twitter and Tumblr drained my battery more considerably. Even if most of them are push-based notifications, they will still drain more battery in the background. So for Android users you'll definitely want to keep an eye on that.

For iOS users you'll probably just want to disable the push notifications in the Settings app or sign out of those applications/

Secondly as @NightDancer and @Caroline alluded to, the battery may be faulty. Particularly if it drains extremely rapidly (sudden drop from say 90% to something really low like 30% as opposed to gradual drop) or if the capacity of the battery has dropped below a certain threshold whilst still in warranty. If you have an iOS device Apple can do an on the spot check for you if you live near an Apple Store.

You'll find that warranty on batteries will always tend to be met with some questioning by the manufacturer as they're generally considered a consumable... for example if the battery reports having over 500+ recharge cycles in less than a year then that would be interpreted as being excessive as normal use would normally be defined as being fully charged within 1-2 days. To get 500+ cycles you'd have to be fully charging 3-4 times a day!

I speak from experience from dealing with Apple's battery policies for MacBook laptops at a school. ;)