Good Anime Movies?

ezfett

Before anyone else makes any specific recommendation, I have to strongly, strongly recommend Your Name (that's the name of the movie).

I went into the theater expecting yet another goofy movie about high schoolers. I received that and so much more. I left the movie a bubbling wreck of a human being, my heart filled with tears and laughter. If you haven't seen this movie, then I recommend that you stop whatever you're doing and go watch it right now, then come back and say how much you loved it. :P

• Like 3

Before anyone else makes any specific recommendation, I have to strongly, strongly recommend Your Name (that's the name of the movie).

I went into the theater expecting yet another goofy movie about high schoolers. I received that and so much more. I left the movie a bubbling wreck of a human being, my heart filled with tears and laughter. If you haven't seen this movie, then I recommend that you stop whatever you're doing and go watch it right now, then come back and say how much you loved it. :P

To be honest, I have to say unfortunately that if feels is what you are after. "A Silent Voice" is by far better than "Your Name" even though your name was an exciting and beautiful story, the directing and storytelling brilliance in "A Silent Voice" is further advanced in uniqueness and genuine emotions and problems. I saw both in the Cinema, I enjoyed both, but in regards to genuineness, A Silent Voice takes the cake. Your Name is more of a fairy tale beauty.

• Like 1

To be honest, I have to say unfortunately that if feels is what you are after. "A Silent Voice" is by far better than "Your Name" even though your name was an exciting and beautiful story, the directing and storytelling brilliance in "A Silent Voice" is further advanced in uniqueness and genuine emotions and problems. I saw both in the Cinema, I enjoyed both, but in regards to genuineness, A Silent Voice takes the cake. Your Name is more of a fairy tale beauty.

Oh yeaaa I heard a lot of people appreciate this anime/movie. Koe no Katachi is great but the author could've whipped up a little more of the ending, but this is my opinion and the anime/movie wasn't really towards a certain genre I like. I'd give it a 9/10 regardless though because the character development and story are both great.

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1

Seconding on Grave of the Fireflies. If you hate depressing movies, however, you'll absolutely loathe this. But if you want a movie that tackles the horrors of war, then this is a suitable movie for you. It's a soul-sucking movie that tells you right off the bat just what kind of tragic ending to expect, and then forces you to watch a happy family hurling towards a downward spiral.

I would also recommend the classic Akira if you like sci-fi action. Very cool animation. Then there's 5 Centimeters Per Second for romance lovers. This one is a more realistic kind of love, however, as it shows the distance a relationship can have after being separated by time. A very charming romance movie with a great theme song. And of course, who could forget the genius himself, Satoshi Kon and Paprika and Perfect Blue, both really great thrillers. Paprika is a bit more confusing, while Perfect Blue is a more straightforward thriller that impressed Darren Aronofsky enough for him to "borrow" a scene from the movie and put it in Black Swan.

Last but not least, a lot of Studio Ghibli movies are heartwarming classics, but my personal recommendation is My Neighbor Totoro. I could go on about why this is my favorite, but I'll just leave my review here:

https://letterboxd.com/terrazine/film/my-neighbor-totoro

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Geano locked this topic