[shonen]Well-written plot with likeable Characters : Noragami

katyC

TITLE: Noragami ( literally Stray God)

AUTHOR: Adachi Toka

59e216fa2571c_imagesqtbnANd9GcQus0ilAbAPq0kV_-AFfhWUfvsGV0GsmA-4k5n2JdK2PdSLG5_5.jpg.902e21adc5347ed394ea31068259804c.jpg

[spoiler=SYPNOSIS] SYNOPSIS [from MyAnimeList]:

Yato, a minor god, dreams to become the most revered deity in the world with big shrine and all. However, being a penniless god that he is, he has a long way to go. However, his shinki Tomene (later Mayu) left him. Later, when he does his job, a high school girl named Hiyori Iki pushes him out of the way of a speeding bus; unaware of his status as deity.

Things get complicated when this incident triggers abnormality in Hiyori's soul, causing her to make an Astral Projection whenever she falls unconscious. To turn herself back to normal, Hiyori must help Yato becoming a better god who can fix the problem, along with Yato's new shinki, Yukine.

I wouldn't say the plot is original or unexpected. The story follows Hiyori when she meet Yato and eventually his new shinki, Yukine, But don't be fooled by the fact it is a shonen and a typical guy fights demons trope. Shonen mangas usually involves spirits and gods, and the master-weapon thing is a lot like Soul Eater. But when you think about it, it's not about what story you tell, it's about HOW you tell it.

The hysterical characters makes the story full of hilarious moments while its concept is still hard to grasp. Too bad that Hiyori isn't ass-kicking like I thought she would be, but I like her. Yato's character is very complicated, and at first I thought he will be another typical protagonist. However, he is smarter then most of the shonen lead characters, and I find his character very interesting. He may look like a naive and hysterical guy, but he have more deeper past than anyone in the serie. Yukine is also great. A lot of people dislike him, saying that he is annoying and useless. I liked the fact the he made a lot of mistakes, and also, he showed a kind and loyal side, and his character developed, and yet the Mangaka managed to keep his change realistic.

And as the story goes on, a lot of sub-plots will comes up and the manga series become more and more interesting. (BTW I'm on Ch 42)

• 3 months later...

The anime itself was really good and this is one of them that is in my must to read list.

I love the characters since all of them as it's own personality which I really love. Plus, it's funny so I can't wait to read Noragami soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I started the manga today, and I must say that it has lived up to my expectations of it.

[spoiler=Chapter 11]Really hope Yato and Yuki can start getting along better. Also, I wonder if we will ever get an explanation on why Yato was crying at the beginning when he first found Yuki.

I finally caught up to the latest chapter.

[spoiler=Chapter 54]I was really expecting more development in regards to some kind of romance between Yato and Hiyori. Even so, it feels kinda odd that Yato's 'father' is manipulating everyone, and simply can't be defeated. I wonder if Yato will end up being the one that has to beat him, or maybe the new Ebisu will have a hand in doing that.