Canning all day long....

Beocat

So I have spent my first day of the holiday weekend first upsetting my mom (because I couldn't drop everything to go hang out with her - I guess my dad went fishing without her again this year), then canning all afternoon. It's 630pm (started at 130pm) and I haven't even had lunch all day. Had to clean the kitchen, get the jars ready for the dishwasher, then I've been peeling 50 something pounds of tomatoes ever since (just finished, now they are on the stove on low heat). You would've thought I would have learned my lesson the last 6 years in a row (usually I do around 120-150lbs in a day and always say at the end of it 30 lbs is enough for one days work). I just couldn't stop myself from grabbing that deal! >_> Believe me if I knew she would want to hang out (she gave no inclination all week long), I would have restrained myself at the Farmers Market yesterday.

I need to think of a way to make things up for my mom. >_> Any thoughts guys?  And anyone else planning on doing some canning this summer? I usually do tomatoes and fig preserves. I probably won't finish until 9 or so tonight. Guess I should be happy I didn't get 120 lbs again lol...

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I am very grateful to you. Because From you I have learnt something new: canning. I have never had heard of this probably because we don’t do that in my country.

I did some research on this method and how it can preserve food for few years shelf life. I could really use this to store my mint, garlic and chilli sauce I creat occasionally. 

I feel bad that I had never heard of this as I waste my time learning to be the best chef. 

Besides that the way I cheer up my Mumzy is a hug or a dinner outside as she loves this one restaurant. And I have messed up so many times but this works all the time😊

1 hour ago, Part_time_anime said:

I am very grateful to you. Because From you I have learnt something new: canning. I have never had heard of this probably because we don’t do that in my country.

I did some research on this method and how it can preserve food for few years shelf life. I could really use this to store my mint, garlic and chilli sauce I creat occasionally. 

I feel bad that I had never heard of this as I waste my time learning to be the best chef. 

Besides that the way I cheer up my Mumzy is a hug or a dinner outside as she loves this one restaurant. And I have messed up so many times but this works all the time😊

20180526_214143.thumb.jpg.6d5743e6e20a286d5820b908972e7cbb.jpg

I use it primarily for stewed tomatoes (and I pull out a jar whenever I want to make spaghetti or for pot roasts or vegetable soup), but my mom cans string beans and more and her mother canned nearly everything. It is a dieing art these days. But I tell you, my jars will taste just as fresh a year from now as it does today. I got 15.75 quart jars out of this batch today. The partial is in the fridge. I might make spaghetti for lunch tomorrow with it. 

Lots of people I know can salsa but I never developed a good enough salsa recipe to want to have it on hand like that.  You should be able to use it for lots of things but if you can't find the jars and lids...you might be out of luck. I'm glad you learned about it today. Most people in my country don't know about it either sadly enough. Too busy to cook I suppose.

She has her meals planned out for the next few days. Like me, they are mostly staying home (to avoid the traffic jams caused by the first day of tourist season). I might just drop by and visit tomorrow.  Not what I planned on, but it is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1