The Promised Neverland

Vivi Hyuuga

As this is for The Promised Neverland manga, not the anime, there will be spoilers up to the latest chapters. So, beware if you have not read it or caught up yet. If you are interested in reading the series, you can sign up for Shonen Jump digital at Viz Media for $2 a month.

I desperately need people to talk to about The Promised Neverland! I'm showing the anime to my sisters, but as I've read the manga, I know so much more about the series than them. So, this discussion group is a place where we can talk about the newest plot twists as they happen! So, get ready for the spoilers! 

First off, I'm freaking out about Norman! I was so happy I was crying when they were reunited. But, I knew something was wrong from the beginning, with the way they were displaying him in a god-like manner. I'm really worried about him and the choices he will make. I just hope that Emma and Ray can help him learn again who he used to be. He must have been through so many terrible things during those two and a half years. Seriously, Norman before would never have condoned torture, even to one of the demons. 

I read the manga on a regular basis, so I am up for it.

There might also be a Discord server for it, since there is one for DC.

Anyway, as for your thoughts on what has been going on, we do not not really know what happened to Norman while he was in Lambda 7214, except that he was monitored constantly, so there is a possibility that he cannot be saved at all.

I am more curious about who the mysterious demon lord is and how Emma will deal with it, but if this series ends like many shone series do, which is with Emma succeeding, I am not too sure I would be pleased.

Yeah, that really is my fear, that maybe Norman won't be saved. But, I want to believe in him and their bonds! They were so close and he was such a sweet soul, I don't want him to be past redemption, even though I know it's possible. 

And yes! I can't wait for the next chapter to find out more about what happens with Emma and Ray going to find "him." I'm intrigued about the manner in which they have to go there, and curious about how they will get back.  I honestly don't know if it will end with them succeeding or not, but I currently have quite a bit of faith in the mangaka, so I imagine I will be pleased with however they choose to end it. 

Also, I need to know what happened to Phil! He was being so brave to stay behind, but then after he was visited by the Ratri clan what happened?!  

Honestly, I am not that confident the author can pull things off.

This is the first work that I have seen from the guy, so it would make sense that I am kind of leery, but something just does not seem to strike me as great about them, whereas Jun Mochizuki was impressive with the first series I read from her.

Things could certainly end well, which is what I would like to see, but I think I will not check out anything else from them.

11 minutes ago, Vivi Hyuuga said:

Also, I need to know what happened to Phil! He was being so brave to stay behind, but then after he was visited by the Ratri clan what happened?!

I am curious about that too and part of me wants to know what happened, but seeing as the series is in the final arc and the way these chapters are going seems to suggest the end is near, I kind of doubt we know what happened, beyond maybe the same kind of small snippet that Norman’s fate was in the manga, when we found out he was not dead.

It's funny to see how different people can have such different impressions of the same author, or in this case mangaka. I know I may be wrong about them, but so far I've loved everything they've done with The Promised Neverland, so I really hope they won't mess it up. I feel like it is a series I could rewatch and read time and again, and always find something new to appreciate about it. It truly feels masterfully written. But, I have been disappointed before (Attack on Titan most recently), so I hope I won't be disappointed with this series.

I've never finished any of Jun Mochizuki's works. I started the first volume of Pandora Heart's, but I was really confused by which point of view everything was occurring from, I couldn't make sense of it. Because of that, I'm thinking that if maybe I first watch the anime then maybe I'll be able to understand the manga better. But, maybe I was simply having a more difficult day due to my illnesses when I tried reading it and missed some important information, as that has happened before. 

31 minutes ago, Vivi Hyuuga said:

It's funny to see how different people can have such different impressions of the same author, or in this case mangaka. I know I may be wrong about them, but so far I've loved everything they've done with The Promised Neverland, so I really hope they won't mess it up. I feel like it is a series I could rewatch and read time and again, and always find something new to appreciate about it. It truly feels masterfully written. But, I have been disappointed before (Attack on Titan most recently), so I hope I won't be disappointed with this series.

Yeah, it is funny.

On the other hand, that is what makes discussions interesting to begin with, and you can see a different view of things.

33 minutes ago, Vivi Hyuuga said:

I've never finished any of Jun Mochizuki's works. I started the first volume of Pandora Heart's, but I was really confused by which point of view everything was occurring from, I couldn't make sense of it. Because of that, I'm thinking that if maybe I first watch the anime then maybe I'll be able to understand the manga better. But, maybe I was simply having a more difficult day due to my illnesses when I tried reading it and missed some important information, as that has happened before.

That is something that could definitely be difficult about the series. It was mostly Oz's adventures and experiences, but we get things from different perspectives.

However, what I enjoyed about Jun Mochizuki's work was how creative she seemed to be and how she could put things together. Plus, Pandora Hearts really did feel like an adventure right up to the end.

• Like 1

Too true! I love hearing other peoples opinions of anime and manga. Plus, it's just fun to share something you are passionate about with others. That's why I try to introduce any of my friends to my favorite anime.

Well, I'm happy to hear it wasn't only me who could be confused by the point of view! But, if others feel the same way and still love the series it encourages me to try again. 

Finished reading the newest chapter and I was a little disappointed.

Things continued on from the meeting between royalty and nobles, which really felt unnecessary overall, and the scenes with Norman saying that everything is going according to plan gave off the just as planned vibe.

Things might be more enjoyable in the volume release, where the wait is almost nonexistent between chapters, but I was really hoping for the kind of clash that was seen between Isabella and the trio, rather than this.

The thing that was nice was that we see what was on the other side of the gate that Emma and Ray found themselves in front of, though I get the feeling that building is not really that of Grace Field house. It may look similar on the outside, but things could be very different on the interior.

Plus, the mysterious enemy is supposed to reside in the plane they are in.

• Like 1

I get what you mean. I was disappointed that the chapter didn't focus on the main characters. But, I am also trying to remind myself that I am not used to reading manga chapters as they release, as in the past I've only read them in complete volumes. I'm also reminding myself that the next release will be here before I know it if I stay busy. :P 

• Like 1

Just read the recent chapter and it was pretty good.

Grace Field House was confirmed to be an illusion, as I thought it was, but I really enjoyed myself, especially now that things are focused entirely on Emma and Ray and the anticipation of meaning the mysterious demon.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:11 PM, brycec said:

Just read the recent chapter and it was pretty good.

Grace Field House was confirmed to be an illusion, as I thought it was, but I really enjoyed myself, especially now that things are focused entirely on Emma and Ray and the anticipation of meaning the mysterious demon.

Yes, I feel the same way! It's really interesting the way he is fixated on having people play with him, and is so powerful that he was able to create all of those illusions. He's so childlike so far, yet he has been around since the first Promise. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the latest chapter and I was a little disappointed.

It is still giving focus to what Emma and Ray are doing, but it kind of suggested that I would get a minor flashback leading up to Ray’s predicament, but the chapter ended before things caught up.

This might be another chapter that will be better in the volume releases, but it was certainly not completely terrible.