Is Dragon Ball Z a Japanese rip off of Superman?

Guest Jupiter

Guest Jupiter

I sort of feel it really is. Just the way the saiyan saga goes. Kal-El was sent to Earth when Krypton was destroyed by General Zod.

Same with Goku, except....Frieza. Superman defeats General Zod. Goku defeats Frieza.

Doomsday killed Superman in an issue. Cell kills Goku by self destructing. I feel DBZ largely reflects off of DC's Superman. I'm not kidding. Even throws in a bit of Terminator in with it.

The characters fly, they have heat vision, they have super human strength...pretty much more or less. Saiyan's used to have a weakness....that is when you grab their tail.

The only thing Goku doesn't share in common with Kal-El aka Clark Kent is green Kryptonite.

Anyone seeing a pattern yet?

Well Krypton wasn't destroyed by General Zod. And Heat-vision isn't a common trait in DBZ, only one or two characters use it, even then it's not necessarily heat-vision.

I'm sure the other similarities are just coincidental. I mean when you look at it, it's not that similar. For example Sayains are naturally strong, not because of yellow sun light.

And even if these similarities are intentional, there is so much more to DBZ that doesn't come from Superman. Like Kami, the Namekians, Buu, Otherworld, Beerus the God of Destruction, etc.

And as opposed to Superman, I'm pretty sure Goku doesn't stand for the 'Japanese way'. He's brash and hot-headed, not anything at all like your typical Japanese workmen.

• Geano locked this topic