Art Approval?

Amber Tallant

I was wondering, if anyone around here.

Would know how to go about getting approval from the original artist.

To do drawings for them to sell. I am trying to do a small business,

for myself and my family. And whatever I earn right now goes towards them, and

right now my only greatest redeeming qualities is drawing and singing.

If anybody would know that be great thanks

• Like 1

hi AMBER

wish I could answer you question but sorry im not in any position to help there

but any ways

welcome to the forums if there is any thing I can help with ill try to be of assistance

other than that have fun whilst you here make some more posts try to feel at home

we are a weird friendly group so I hope you enjoy our forum

As far as I know, the only way to use credit for someone's original character is to discuss details with the original artist... I've never really created drawings and sold them, so I'm not sure the exact details. But, I know people create fanart and sell it all the time. I believe if the drawing itself is actually your work, it does not matter. What is it you're exactly trying to get permission for?

In any case, contacting the direct artist would more than likely be your best route if you want to cover all your bases in regards to laws.

• 1 month later...

Hello @Amber Tallant ,

First of all can I just say that's a really adorable Vivio avatar you have there? Nanoha is one of my most favourite franchises. (o^.^o)

To answer your question I think it's very unlikely you're going to be able to get permission from the original Japanese artists let alone get the licensing rights - at least from a small business point of view.

Anime News Network has touched on this subject in the past with these very informative articles:

Basically it's a copyright and licensing minefield.

I think you would have much greater success if you just do commissions on Patreon or DeviantArt. At least on those platforms you can build your following and they can support you long-term.

Hope this helps!

• Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you for commenting. I like to draw, and I seem to do better at drawing other peoples drawings in a alternative way. Is why I was asking. The money would all go to good causes and not used in a abusive way. So I just wanted to see if talking to the original artist would work at all. My Small business is called Guarding of Sacred Hearts. A percentage of our money goes to help animal rescue places. In the area I live in, the rest is used to help the necessary things around the homes of people who will help work with the business.