One Piece World Seeker

EnviousEnvy

Anyone else bugged about the fact that the subtitles keep referencing Marines as the Navy? Their uniforms, banners, signs, etc. all clearly say "MARINES" in big font yet they keeping calling them Navy... I mean unless in Japan they are both the same thing but in America they are two different branches of the Military and if you even called them a different branch (like calling Marines Navy or vice versa) they would freak out on you...

I'm just wondering if anyone else is tripping over this.

Actually Marines are a part of the US Navy, it hasn't always been that way, but they are now. Marine is the french word for sea and was a general term used by the English to describe any troop that had to arrive via sea in the French military. Despite the perceived separation of the branch by the public the Marines have been a part of the US Navy for 185 years. Prior to 1834 they were an independent service and the original proposition was to include them as part of the Army, but commandant at the time (Archibald Henderson) swayed Congress from that idea and they were included as a technical branch off the Navy, but they maintained the distinction within the department being regarded as sister services than a fully unified branch of military. Long story short Marines are Navy, but more so in a technical sense and they maintain separation that most regard them as separate branches entirely including those that serve in them. As for the game and being annoyed with it, it all depends on which country of origination they're from America is weird about the distinction a lot of other countries not so much. The Royal Navy includes the Royal Marines for Britland and they're not weird about keeping it as a distinction for example.

@Vitis Ooh okay. I just like to notice little things in anime and games. Watched a series (one of my favorites) and a character was holding a container clearly marked Coffee and they asked their partner if they would like some tea. I had to do a double take at that. 

3 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

@Vitis Ooh okay. I just like to notice little things in anime and games. Watched a series (one of my favorites) and a character was holding a container clearly marked Coffee and they asked their partner if they would like some tea. I had to do a double take at that. 

Localization happens. Pokemon Rice Balls changing to Jelly Donuts for America for no reason. Coffee is associated with America so it was probably a localization that the image said coffee, but they just did a literal translation from the source so they still said tea, that'd be my guess anyway.