Musuko

Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia

xPJenLm.png

I caught up to the two episodes of Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia. This is the seventh singularity of Fate/Grand Order, and is considered to be pretty good by the people who've played it. I wouldn't know though, I'm still on Okeanos.

If you don't know anything about Fate/Grand Order or Fate in general, here's a blurb for you.

Spoiler

The Fate series was original a visual novel by Type-Moon in the form of Fate/stay night. This had three routes depending upon the psychology of Shirou and what girl he would romance: Fate (Saber), Unlimited Blade Works (Rin), and Heaven's Feel (Sakura). Overall, the visual novel has heavy themes of idealism, reality, and selflessness of an individual. It's a huge time sink, and it's heavily debated how to watch the series if you don't want to read the visual novel.

Fate/Grand Order is a mobile game spin-off of Fate/stay night that focuses more on historical figures and interactions rather than themes of the individual. The story is pretty up-and-down, but I've been enjoying it overall so far. In the first main story of Fate/Grand Order there is: Singularity F, the Seven Singularities, and the Final Singularity. Babylonia is the last of the Seven Singularities, so you're going to be missing out on 6 of the chapters. Nothing too important has happened so far, but you do lose some build up.

It seems like the only thing you need to watch before Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia is Fate/Grand Order: First Order. There's some fan-pandering to the original Fate/stay night fans, but you don't need to watch Fate/stay night to understand Fate/Grand Order. First Order is an hour long movie of Singularity F.

There's also Fate/Grand Order: Moonlight/Lostroom, but that's actually way AFTER Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia, so don't touch that.

TOO LONG; DIDN'T READ: Watch First Order, then watch Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia.

So far, I'm liking this anime. I honestly can't tell if I like the pacing or not, but the animations scenes so far have been top-notch. It seems like studios other than Ufotable are finally able to handle the Fate series (CloverWorks). 

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Pacing of the anime always outruns the game - 100% of the time.  I haven't decided if I like the order of games precluding anime for this very reason.  I think the opposite order usually results in a better "warm and fuzzy" feeling for most people.

As for the anime, I watched bits and pieces of the first episode, but I haven't gotten more invested in it yet.  Subs are really difficult for me, simply because of things I've mentioned before.  That being said, it doesn't sound like Type Moon is opposed to a North American adaptation, so I'm optimistic.

• Like 1

I thought I would like this but they only animated the last arc and now you have to play the game to understand the whole story. Not gonna be watching this. 

6 hours ago, BurnsyCEO said:

I thought I would like this but they only animated the last arc and now you have to play the game to understand the whole story. Not gonna be watching this. 

What are you talking about?  They only just started to animate the series...there's only even 3 episodes at an hour a piece.

27 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

What are you talking about?  They only just started to animate the series...there's only even 3 episodes at an hour a piece.

I said they are not animating the whole game just the last arc and if you haven't played it you won't get the story.

Watched episode 3 yesterday. Yeah, the pacing is definitely off, but I can't put my finger on it. I'm still enjoying it, though.

On 10/19/2019 at 11:31 AM, BurnsyCEO said:

I said they are not animating the whole game just the last arc and if you haven't played it you won't get the story.

To be fair, that's just Fate in a nutshell. If you haven't read the legend of King Arthur, you won't get the full story of Saber. If you haven't read the legends of Cu Chulainn, Diarmuid, etc.

But you don't really need to read those to enjoy Fate for what it is. Fate/stay night did place some relevance on those stories, but it was never really about them. Like I mentioned in the OP, Fate/stay night was about criticizing naive idealism and selflessness, and you didn't miss much from not being an expert of Arthurian legend.

(This isn't even mentioning the fact that Fate/stay night is meant to be read first, but takes place AFTER Fate/Zero and The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II and mentions events from those series.)

Similarly, this entry of Fate doesn't really rely too heavily upon the past arcs. If you've seen First Order, then you get the gist of Fate/Grand Order. But if you feel like you'd be missing out on too much, then hey, you don't have to watch it. Personally, I like mysterious shows anyways, but everyone has their flavors.

Edited by Musuko