Senki Zesshou Symphogear

Optic

This is a fun title. Mecha musume armour girls + electronic music = awesome. :angel:

• Great music - upbeat electronic soundtrack.
  • Cool mecha musume costumes - when they're in their Symphogear forms in order to counter the supernatural threats..

In terms of tone, it does have a few typical magical girl moments in terms of despair - but nowhere near the levels of psychological thriller that Puella Magi Madoka Magica had. In fact it's very campy and pacing feels rushed after the first few episodes.

It's absurd they transform and get their strength from singing... but I LOVED it! So much it made me watch Symphogear G (second series) immediately afterwards and Symphogear GX (currently airing third series) soon after.

Hibiki is my favourite character due to her genki personality. Her voice actor is the same as the one that voiced Madoka in Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The two characters are quite similar - of course Hibiki does more punching in her Symphogear form.

I strongly recommend it for the music alone. ;)

kanade-tsubasa-symphogear.thumb.jpg.f8d84f57ac45fa8fd78347e3e9584214.jpg

hibiki-tsubasa-miku-chris-symphogear.jpg.155e69006ddbf9da594aec4b9c7e03a8.jpg

If you're new to the Symphogear series, make sure you check out the other series!

Season 1: Senki Zesshou Symphogear

Season 2: Senki Zesshou Symphogear G

Season 3: Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX

Watched the first three episodes today. So far, I think the music is very well done, and really love the OP. I really feel that other than Hibiki, that all of the other characters feel a bit generic though, so she is my favorite character.

It is kind of odd, as Hibiki is on the cover of both season 2 and 3, but the very first episode of season 1 has her dead... I'm guessing she will die when the series is over then? As I don't really feel that this anime would go into world lines or anything like that. Or maybe she overcomes her death by the power of song? Now that I think about it, that does fit with how the show is going so far.

Glad you like the music! Yes Hibiki is my biggest favourite, she's hilarious and really makes me go "Awhhh" when she's with Miku. >_< But I think I have some bias because her voice is the same as Madoka from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Or maybe she overcomes her death by the power of song?

Well there is a rather interesting, abrupt twist towards the end. But yes she does survive what seem to be ridiculously impossible odds.

In any case I wouldn't think too much into it. ;)

Alright, so I'm on episode 8 so far. Hm... well, it is a bit frustrating that it took such a cliche turn to get Hibiki and Miku back together. At the very least it seems that Tsubasa will be coming back as a main character again, and it seems that Chris is likely to join as well, so hopefully it improves. As of now, if I had to give it some kind of score, maybe around a 65/100. I figure, at the very least, it is able to keep my attention and has a good MC. I look foward to watching season 2, since you rated that higher.

• Like 1

Hm... well, it is a bit frustrating that it took such a cliche turn to get Hibiki and Miku back together.

Yeah there are many cliches, and the characters are quite ordinary. And the side characters are even more bland. But there was something about all the characters that made me like them the more I watched Symphogear.

I look foward to watching season 2, since you rated that higher.

Yes, pacing is much better in Symphogear G. And lots of cliffhangers. :angel:

Just finished this.

Hm... I would say that it started out a bit slow, picked up towards the middle, but then just died near the end. Although, I did like episode 13, their use of telepathy was obviously them stating they didn't have the budget not to. :P Also, episode 12 was kinda meh with the whole explanation that seemed like it was thrown together at the last second. However, in general, I did like the concept quite a bit, so onto Symphogear G!

• Agree 1

• Geano locked this topic