Choice is Yours.

williamsheikspare

19 hours ago, williamsheikspare said:

What it will be ?

Can't really say.  I once had a macbook air laptop so my current phone is an ancient iPhone 8.  (Bought mostly because it was the cheapest my cell service offered at the time.  I think the iPhone 11 had just come out and they were getting rid of old versions by selling at a steep discount.)  Since Cook took over Apple has gone down the MSFT path to depravity though, and of course their hardware has always been ridiculously overpriced.  The mba is long gone but I'll hold onto the 8 until it breaks or something better comes along.  What that something will be I'm not sure.  I have a linux desktop - never had Windos or Mac as my main system - so probably something in that direction.  My ideal would be something like a pixel 6 hardware-wise but with android replaced by some more open-sourced version of linux or BSD, modified for mobile.  Maybe put android or iOS as the "guest" OS so I have access to software for that/those OSs but I still have ultimate control of the hardware.  (Not as far-fetched as it might sound since both iOS and Android work just fine on ARM and the pixel 6 hardware has hypervisor and virtual machine features.)    I have a few bookmarked pages for projects that I'm following but I don't see anything I'm ready to take on as my main phone at this point.

Edited by efaardvark

I can’t speak to newer versions than the 8 plus.  They seem nice but they’re way too expensive IMHO.  I don’t need the fancy bells and whistles either.  My phone needs to carry clean calls and send/receive texts and that’s about it.  $1K+ phones are aimed at people with more money than sense.  That’s a non-starter for me.  

That said, my 8 is functional.  Reception isn’t as good as I’d like but it isn’t too bad.  I’ve managed to get through covid with it without wishing it had something it doesn’t.  It has wireless charging and (bt) audio built in too, which is nice.  My last few phones have died because I wore out the connectors.  (I do wish it had a usbc instead of Apple’s proprietary connector - WTF Apple? - but that’s nothing an adaptor cable can’t fix.)  My car has a qi charger in the center console and BT connectivity to route phone calls and music through the car’s audio.  That’s about as demanding as I get in terms of needing/wanting fancy features.  For that/those it works fine.

For what I paid for it I guess it’s ok.  It isn’t anything special by today’s  standards but it was cheap enough when I bought it and I haven’t had any problems with it so far.  Like I said I’ll probably keep it until it dies.