2022 - THE YEAR IN ANIME

Ohayotaku

Thought I would create a thread for members to share their favorites, opinions & observations about this past year’s anime if they’re so inclined. As for myself

My 2022 Favorites (New)

Birdie Wing (certainly not what I was expecting from a series about women’s golf. Some might find it too outlandish, but I thought it was a blast)

My Dress Up Darling (the ecchi humor was uncomfortable in spots, but Gojo & Marin make a freak’n adorable couple & the final scene proved it)

Spy x Family (very entertaining when on point, though the tone could be inconsistent, especially in the 2nd cour)

Skeleton Night in Another World (went too far with the shock value of the opening scene, but Arc is a fun protagonist & Arianne makes a good partner for him. There’s also the potential for some interesting plot developments if it gets a 2nd season {fingers crossed}

Raven of the Inner Palace (one of the best supernatural  anime since Mushishi. And Shoxue has become one of my favorite tdundere).

My 2022 Favorites (sequel/continuation)

My Hero Academia 6 ( my Anime of the Year as it finally delivered some payoff after 2 disappointing seasons)

Attack on Titan: Final Season part 2 (it ‘s taken 10 years, but the stage has been set for the final showdown in one of anime’s most influential series)

Demon Slayer: Entertainment District Arc (way too many ass pulls in that final battle, but still plenty of awesome moments)

Shadows House 2 (provided some much needed answers in one of the better supernatural suspense anime. Now we just need a season 3 confirmed)

Mob Psycho 100 III (a bit tame after how crazy the previous seasons got. But nonetheless a satisfying & heartfelt send off for Mob & Reigen)

Honorable Mentions

Dr. Stone Ryuusui special episode (got me hyped for the upcoming season)

Golden Kamuy 4 (put on hiatus halfway through after a staff member passed away. Supposed to re-air/resume Spring 2023)

Spriggan (remake/expansion of a 1998 OVA)

Isekai Ojisan (waiting for Netflix to release the rest of the season)

Isekai Quartet: The Movie (just a lot of fun seeing these characters in a more upbeat & comedic setting than their standard series)

Disappointments (IMO)

Science Fell in Love, so I Tried to Prove It 2 (felt off from season 1 from the get go & the final episode was FUBAR. Going to do my best to forget it’s existence so it doesn’t sour the pleasant memories I have of season 1)

Rising of the Shield Hero 2 (some pretty important stuff actually happened, but didn’t didn’t really connect emotionally & actually felt boring)

Princess Connect ReDive 2 (season 1 was funny while also delivering some feelz. Season 2 focused too much on wanting to be taken seriously.

Danmachi 4 (too predictable & tried too hard to hype Bell as a character)

Call of the Night (unlikable characters)

Over Rated (IMO)

Chainsaw Man (hyped by it’s fandom as the GOAT. Then tried to say it gets better later. Now apparently some fans are calling for it to be redone from the beginning. It would be easy for me to say it’s just not my sort of series, but Dorohedoro & Gleipnir have similar elements & I actually enjoyed them)

Kaguya-sama Ultra Romantic (primarily due to a faction of MAL members’ efforts to make it the #1 ranked anime OF ALL TIME. Currently ranked as #3 overall on MAL) {eyeroll}

Cyberpunk Edgerunners (another example of me not having the love for Trigger’s style  a lot of anime fans do)

Bocchi the Rock (sorry, but I personally don’t even consider it to be the Fall Season’s best slice-of-life CGDCT series)

Edited by Ohayotaku

The closing months of 2022 saw a couple of important changes in my anime watching.
Firstly I upgraded my Internet connection to a service a good deal faster than I previously had and second, as a result of the first, I took out a subscription to Crunchyroll.
This allowed me to watch anime series the in the year they came out rather than a few years later when someone got around to releasing them on DVD/Blu-ray.

As a result of my 'late start' on 2022 anime I've so far only watched three series (in no particular order):

My Dress Up Darling: This was much more interesting and entertaining than I thought it would be and I was pleased that it wasn't as ecchi as some YouTube clips made it out to be, but having said that there were a few scenes in it that I wouldn't want to watch with anyone else.

Akebi's Sailor Uniform: I really enjoyed watching this one. It's a simple Slice of Life with no real dramas, it's just a simple story of a young girl attending middle school proudly wearing her new uniform and making new friends, and that's really where its charm is.

Lycoris Recoil: An all action Girl's With Guns series, and some of the girls are cute. This one was great fun to watch with loads of action, major firefights, furious combat duels, crazy humour, mad hackers and a touch of serious drama thrown in for good measure. What's not to like?

• Like 1

I guess my personal faves are (in no particular order):

My Dress Up Darling

Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro S1

Lycoris Recoil

Spy x Family

Skeleton Knight

My biggest letdowns are:

Chainsaw Man - I feel like this would be more enjoyable for me if the over-zealousness of the fans wasn't so rampant. I know I shouldn't let things like that hinder me from watching something, but usually, the more hype that's put on something, the less interested I become in it. It's the main reason I still have yet to give Attack on Titan a fair try. I've heard and read a lot of good things about it, but I haven't been able to become interested enough in it yet to watch it.

Call of the Night - I'll second what @Ohayotaku said, the characters were very difficult to connect with. Visuals and music are great, but they can only carry a show so far by themselves.

I haven't been watching as much anime as I thought I would be after getting back into it (hence why my list here is short). Most of what I have watched is from previous years. I'll get there eventually, I guess. 😅

4 hours ago, viruxx said:

if the over-zealousness of the fans wasn't so rampant.

I know where you're coming from on this point, it's so easy to be put off a series by overenthusiastic fans.  Quite often a series is really hyped up by it's fans and presented as the greatest anime every made, and when non-fans get to see it they often say, OK it's not bad, but it's not that great either.

• Agree 1