Has Facebook killed blogging?

Optic

I remember when blogging was really popular before Facebook. I would even think it was still popular alongside the Myspace days.

Then Facebook came along and it slowly became less popular, at least personal ones anyway.

What do you think is the reason? My guess is shorter status updates seem to be more desirable vs lengthy blog articles and in terms of people seeing your update, well that News Feed will ensure all your Friends will see it. And if you set it as Public then you more or less matching the style of blog permissions now.

What do you think?

Peoples attention spans are getting increasingly shorter and Facebook takes advantage of that. Like you said, the advantage of it's visibility would be a contributing factor. My mind isn't working right now so I'll get back to you and give a proper response xD

I have to disagree that Facebook killed blogging just as how I would disagree that the typewriter/computer killed the pen and paper.

Blogging is where you write lengthy articles. It would be more appropriate to write blogs if you have an opinion that you'd like to share to the whole world. If you were to write an article on Facebook, it'll never appear on search engines like Google and whatever you have written would end up hidden at another corner of your Page/Wall. It depends who the target audience is. If they're those that you know, then Facebook. If you'd like to appeal to the wider world, use a blog.

• 2 months later...

For casual blogging the emergence of microblogging services like Twitter or Facebook statuses sure proved fatal. What's the point in writing about your day, when you can just tweet about your minutes?

On the other hand, more thematic and long-winded blogging will persevere (so will illegal MP3 download blogs). While I have trouble keeping my personal blog running, my fansub review blog is well and going.

• 6 months later...

Blogging is where you write lengthy articles. It would be more appropriate to write blogs if you have an opinion that you'd like to share to the whole world. If you were to write an article on Facebook, it'll never appear on search engines like Google and whatever you have written would end up hidden at another corner of your Page/Wall.

Well that's true indeed, SEO conversions completely slipped my mind. :P

While I have trouble keeping my personal blog running, my fansub review blog is well and going.

Reflecting on this now I suppose the main challenge in blogging is attracting a following (visitors, audience, call it what you like). I mean I'm not sure about you but for me I thrive and become really motivated when I get user feedback from the fansites and forums.

Thinking back to my old blogs I eventually abandoned them due to getting no replies/followers for a very long period of time. At least for me passion alone just wasn't enough.

What are your thoughts on how to stay motivated for your blog(s) ?

I still post in my old LiveJournal. It is always a great way to express myself. I think I do agree that Facebook killed blogging when it came to personal diary entries since it was easier just to write a Facebook post about it but blogs are still widely used for restaurant reviews and for some anime reviewing sites as well. Blogs are not dead but what they have been used for have changed, I think.

Optic, why don't you use LJ anymore? I think you can get friends from add me communities and I would always reply to you. :)

I didn't have anyone commenting to me for ages on my LJ and then slowly people did admit they were reading. I was shocked!

• Like 1