Anyone still watching Pokemon?

LillyFrost33

For those of you who are, how does it compare to Pokemon from the 90's? It has been YEARS since I watched and I was debating on getting back in to it. I used to love the anime but I am just afraid it may have changed too much. I looked at come pictures and the animation quality is definitely better but I don't know about the story. How old even is Ash these days?

The only series I've seen all the way through are the first two. I've seen scattered eps since then.

I tried watching Diamond and Pearl, but grew bored. Bi watched Best Wishes, and even though I loved Dento's character, the show couldn't hold my interest.

The new series based on X/Y I couldn't get into at all.

I miss the fact that the original series was more "Japanese" and slapsticky, I guess.

• Like 1

For those of you who are, how does it compare to Pokemon from the 90's? It has been YEARS since I watched and I was debating on getting back in to it. I used to love the anime but I am just afraid it may have changed too much. I looked at come pictures and the animation quality is definitely better but I don't know about the story.

I preferred the later series, the Original Series featured Misty regularly bringing up the fact Ash broke her bike, whilst when the same thing happened in Advance Generation, May wasn't as bothered (although I think she might have brought it up once or twice, for leverage), again the same thing happened in Diamond and Pearl, Pikachu destroyed another bike, Dawn's!

Advance Generation onwards tried to create dual protagonists, taking complete focus off Ash, although it seems Diamond and Pearl might have taken it a bit far, as Best Wishes went back to the balance found in Advance Generation, although X and Y seems to have taken a step forward again, with Serena!

The later series of Pokémon are more structured than the Original Series, in that they always have a showdown between the Villainous Team for that Region, whereas the Original Series did not, however the Original Series, well the first 82 episodes were planned to be just advertisement for the Generation I games, and they didn't plan to flesh out the Pokémon "World", hence Generation I having mentions to real world things like animals and locations, some of which are changed in later versions, such as the dub to Pokémon Origins!

How old even is Ash these days?

Ash is still ten, the world broke when Ash turned ten! Well not really, as May, Dawn and Serena also turned ten, at later dates - time's just going really really slow!

I've just had a thought, what if Pokémon "Earth" does not follow the same rules as our Earth, after all, the other planets of our solar system have longer years than we do, was just looking at an article then (just in case I wanted to quote actual figures, although made me rage because of the fact current education does not class Pluto as a planet anymore :'()!

According to the dub, a year and a half had passed when Pikachu and Pichu (Special) was set, but that was dub only dialogue! Actually, some people comment that Ash has either shrunk, or his mother has grown, given a height comparison of the two in the Original Series, and one of the later series, possibly the current!

If I'm honest, I've not watched Pokémon in a while, last movie they released in the UK was movie 15, Universal made a song and dance of how they were the ENGLISH Language distributors, but appear to have forgotten that ENGLISH does not just mean America, after all, where did English come from ;)?

Citv (UK children's channel) might have shown the newer movies, but not got round to checking what they have on, since I stopped setting up the series to tape, which was a shame because when I stopped, Citv were finally showing the bits of Advance Generation that they missed out all those years ago, when they dropped Pokémon (and Digimon)!

If I can, I like to watch the Japanese version of Pokémon these days, which is no problem for the newer series, but the older series, are a bit harder to come by! I did find a great site, with episodes on (no subs though), however then the Governments started cracking down on File Storage websites (some even closed down), and so the sites "purged" customer accounts, as if dumping cargo at the sight of Customs and Excise!

• 9 months later...

I'm catching up with Pokemon XY right now, supposedly a return to quality for the anime series since that trash of a mess Best Wishes season. Hopefully, it would be good. I heard Ash uses a lot more strategies this time.

And how ironic that, I'm also watching Pokemon Origins right now, and boy, Red is not only boring, he's embarrassingly stupid. Even Ash didn't try and catch other people's Pokemon in the beginning. So much for the whole "RED PWNS ASH LOLBBQWTF". I may not like Ash's naivety at times, but Red fans can be real close-minded.

• Geano locked this topic