Genuinely innovative Anime

Etyo

Hey, Everyone, I am in search of something new and exciting that rarely gets seen. This is not in regards to genre, this is in regards to plot. For example ideas like making a dictionary. Recently heard about that Anime which is driven with the purpose of creating a dictionary. Are there any other shows you deem relevant in this distinction? It can be anything unique.

• Like 1

The only one I could think of is Hourou Musuko, which deals with the uncommon subject of cross-dressing, but with kids. Maybe it's something you're interested in?

• Agree 1
  • Creative 1

The only one I could think of is Hourou Musuko, which deals with the uncommon subject of cross-dressing, but with kids. Maybe it's something you're interested in?

Not quite what I was looking for but I must say this is definitely not something I have heard about. Especially not a serious consideration of the topic involved. None the less very good suggestion.

• Like 2

It isn't exactly new, but if you're looking for an anime that takes a rather different approach then you could try Shin Sekai Yori (From Another World).

This particular anime isn't overly gaudy, but it manages to combine an "alternative future" of the human race with a really decent mystery story. The ending is unsatisfactory, in my opinion, but I can say for certain that I have not quite managed to find an anime that does anything similar to what they did in this one.

• Like 1

It isn't exactly new, but if you're looking for an anime that takes a rather different approach then you could try Shin Sekai Yori (From Another World).

This particular anime isn't overly gaudy, but it manages to combine an "alternative future" of the human race with a really decent mystery story. The ending is unsatisfactory, in my opinion, but I can say for certain that I have not quite managed to find an anime that does anything similar to what they did in this one.

I have watched a few episodes of this, I did not enjoy it as much as I wanted to haha. I thought it was really well produced and directed, but it didn't interest me, perhaps of its art style mixed with the slow progression. Not to say that I don't enjoy slow progression, I love shows like Ergo Proxy and Mushishi.

• Agree 1

How about shows made by Satoshi Kon? His anime can usually dive into pretty innovative places, like the famous Paprika, and I would even say Paranoia Agent is kinda innovative in its own right (it's been interpreted to be a representation of Japanese escapism from the tragedy of WWII via moe... which kinda makes sense, actually).

• Informative 1

If you're looking for innovative anime, then I'd recommend ReZero. You probably already heard or seen it, but it's really good if you haven't. It's rarely seen in media where the protagonist fails, and if they do its just a build up to the climax, but with ReZero's unique narrative - the protagonist can and may always fail.

There's also Bakuman, where it's about two people, an artist and writer trying to make a manga. It's really well done and I'd definitely recommend it.

Thank you for your replies, everyone. Yeah, I don't know, I find it amazing how innovative Anime in itself is. But when I look at the Anime medium as a whole, there are definitely very generic things. But I find it amazing how much variety there is, I love Anime and these crazy people who probably do take too many drugs when drawing or sometime in their life to come up with these ideas. So many deep thinkers and creative minds mixed.

I look forward to seeing what other suggestions are made here, how about some things which are innovative but are not normally heard of? Like Kure-nai or So Ra No Wo To.

• Agree 1

how about some things which are innovative but are not normally heard of? Like Kure-nai or So Ra No Wo To.

I heard of So Ra No Wo To. It seems to be filled with moe girls in army outfits at first glance, but I heard it's much more somber than that and deals with themes of warfare quite seriously, though more lighthearted than depressing. This information is second-hand account of course, so don't quote me on it. lol Nevertheless, it does sound more different than your average moe anime.

And while we're at it, you might want to check out Haibane Renmei too, since So Ra No Wo To has been compared to this. It has girls with wings and halo, trapped in some town with massive walls surrounding them. My knowledge of this anime is little to none, but it seems to be one of those very slow-paced anime that's vastly different from your average anime with high-adrenaline action and suspense. Here's the link if you're interested:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/387/Haibane_Renmei

And since I'm talking about slow-paced anime, I would like to bring up a slow-paced cyberpunk anime I have seen: Serial Experiments Lain. In terms of innovative anime, this is definitely one of the best examples of innovation, as it breaks a lot of ground anime has never done before. The problem is... it's such a mind-boggling mess of mindf***, having a very complicated story to understand. I'd say it's even more complicated than Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion combined - try to wrap that around your head. The closest thing I could tell you, it's about a girl named Lain who gets involved with the Internet as a hacking tool (think of it like The Matrix). Since this anime was created in the late '90s, when the Internet was still treated in fiction as some kind of mysterious portal to Nirvana, you should have a good idea of what the story is like and how it would portray the Internet, as some magical hacking tool. I've been told, however, that the plot matters little, and this is more of a character study kind of anime.

Of course, with Lain being as popular as it was, I'd assume you've already seen or at least heard of it (and probably not interested to watch it if you haven't already). Personally, it's not one of my favorites due to how convoluted it is. But I feel like if we're going to talk about innovative anime, experimental anime like Lain should definitely come into consideration.

And speaking of experimental anime, there's also Texhnolyze, another cyberpunk which deals with man's relationship with technology in a dystopian world, and the consequences of fusing machines with our bodies. It's a very bleak anime, and very slow-paced. Much like Lain, it's not for everyone, but that shows how different it is compared to your average anime. This one, I feel, is less convoluted than Lain (despite being its spiritual predecessor), but the last few episodes take a nosedive in convolution and really messes with your mind, so watch out for that.

I think you'll find a lot more innovative anime simply by searching for "experimental anime", since I feel "innovative" and "experimental" have similar characteristics you might be searching for.

• Agree 2

• Geano locked this topic