R.I.P. Sega

Seacliff

52576d8c05281a6efb67a5a24adf9975bff2e26156251da7a0ab614a138a2b56.jpg.7342f92bd971b355759b0f20ed40c042.jpg

First, here's the link:

http://www.japantoday.com/smartphone/view/arts-culture/fans-mourn-segas-exit-from-the-console-video-game-market

Most people think that Sega is already dead, or they'll make a great comeback... but what's going on seems to be the exact opposite. Know why?

Are you ready?

You sure?

Maybe I should give you a few seconds, here it is in the spoiler box:

They announced they are going solely mobile and partially PC for now on

Not to mention that there new name is Sega games, which is short for Service Games Games (genius)

For the record, I only have three Sega consoles: A Gamegear, a Dreamcast, and a Genesis, all good consoles in their own merits. After Sega stopped doing games, they still did strong in most aspects, Sonic has seen better days though. Right now I hope they sell some of their bigger IPs to companies who won't ruin it with mobile, I trust Sonic with Nintendo, Valkyrie Chronicles with Atlus, and so forth.

So what do you guys think? I hope this doesn't effect Atlus since Sega has ownership over them. I also can't say I was expecting anything big from Sega in the upcoming years anyways. Come to think of it, the only Sega related thing I'm looking forward to is the Sonic Boom TV show every Saturday morning.

• Informative 1

I had a Gamegear. It was an interesting system. Even had a TV Tuner. Only thing sucky about the Gamegear was that the battery life was terribly short compared to the Gameboy.

I never had a Genesis or a Dreamcast. My cousins and I had the consoles so we didn't ask for what the other already had because we'd just visit each others' homes and play.

For example, my cousin had the NES first, then later, I had the SNES and our other cousin got the Genesis (Model 1 version as it was new). They did eventually get an SNES, though. Later on, I got the N64 and the cousin that had the NES got the PSX. Later, out cousin that had the Genesis got the Dreamcast, I still had my N64 (and a PS2) as did our other cousin that had the PSX, got the PS2.

Sega, imo, was ahead of its time learning what I know about them now. Too bad they failed (when it came to hardware) so people didn't give the Dreamcast a fair chance.

Oh and adding on, I do miss those old Sega vs Nintendo commercials. "Sega does what Nintendon't!" lol

This is the best chance I have to put my money where my support is, and in this case, Sega.

They have such a deep Japan-only backlog that I logically see them bring over Steam.

Sega. My most fond memories was playing Streets of Rage on the Sega Genesis. Really really fun with a killer soundtrack at the time.

At the time I had a SNES as well and there were moments where I wish I had a Sega Genesis instead as the games did look more appealing on the Genesis...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jupiter

I loved Sega as a kid. I played Mortal Kombat and a ton of other fighting games on that thing. Good times.