Spring 2020 Impressions

Ohayotaku

Thought I’d make a catch-all topic where members can comment on the new season’s shows until it becomes clearer which ones spark enough interest to have their own topics. I’ll post some of my first impressions later today.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I have a hope for the new set of anime's coming out considering that the Isekai trend going on right now is about to die. I'm hoping for a lot of newer romance and action genres along with better quality plots and storylines.

• Like 1

So far I've had the chance to see the first eps of Kahushigoto, Tamayomi and Tower of God (ToG).

I was pleasantly surprised by ToG, which I initially thought would be too off putting due to the way the synopsis sounded. It ended up being an interesting enough plot for me to want to see it through. The fantasy elements were brought to life in an intriguing way, even though the art is not what I'm accustomed to. It pulls its source from a webcomic apparently, so that makes the art more toonish than anime like. Still pleasant enough for me.

Kakushigoto was nothing like what I expected from the synopsis and trailer. It seemed to have a more heavy atmosphere in the trailer, but the show itself is rather lighthearted and comedic. I am not a huge fan of comedy but Ill probably still watch this one since its only 1 cour.

Tamayomi was my favorite so far, although the art was far different from the manga, I still found it appealing in its own way. The characters designs remind me of K-on charas and I can get along with that moe style. This series is fun, its emotional and the plot itself is going to keep me coming back to see these characters grow.

3 more days til fruits basket!

• Like 1

Kakaushigoto  - unlike Somali & the Forest Spirit, I’m fine with the kid this time. It’s the dad who annoys me with his yelling & spazzing out (though I actually sympathize with his obsession of not letting his daughter know his he earns a living). Chances are there will be some feelz later on based on the opening scene & the mom’s only scene was when Hime was born (which was actually really sweet & the highpoint for me in the episode). Really not feeling it’s sense of humor but will probably give it a couple weeks to hopefully find a balance & see if the characters grow on me.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Seshi said:

So far I've had the chance to see the first eps of Kahushigoto, Tamayomi and Tower of God (ToG).

I was pleasantly surprised by ToG, which I initially thought would be too off putting due to the way the synopsis sounded. It ended up being an interesting enough plot for me to want to see it through. The fantasy elements were brought to life in an intriguing way, even though the art is not what I'm accustomed to. It pulls its source from a webcomic apparently, so that makes the art more toonish than anime like. Still pleasant enough for me.

Kakushigoto was nothing like what I expected from the synopsis and trailer. It seemed to have a more heavy atmosphere in the trailer, but the show itself is rather lighthearted and comedic. I am not a huge fan of comedy but Ill probably still watch this one since its only 1 cour.

Tamayomi was my favorite so far, although the art was far different from the manga, I still found it appealing in its own way. The characters designs remind me of K-on charas and I can get along with that moe style. This series is fun, its emotional and the plot itself is going to keep me coming back to see these characters grow.

3 more days til fruits basket!

The plot of ToG may sound generic and honestly, it kind of is, but as a web comic reader I will say that the story is filled with twists and turns around every corner as well as really charismatic characters. In my opinion this anime is a must watch for anybody who enjoys the power fantasy and adventure genres

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

My favorites (so far):

Ascendence of a Bookworm season 2 Main(Myne) is as adorable as ever, but she’s really going to have to hone her people skills to win over her retainers who at the moment are more likely to sabotage her efforts than support them. Also more world building which is one of the series stronger points.

My Next Life as a Villainess, All Paths Lead to Doom fortunately Catarina’s spoiled bratty personality is quickly overwritten by that of the modern day otome game fangirl who must now change her fate to avoid bring killed or exiled. First episode was surprisingly successful at balancing funny & heartwarming.

Honorable mentions:

Arte - Already liking the 2 main characters and their chemistry. Though it’s going to have to be careful about relying too heavily on tropes or being too heavy handed with it’s empowerment message.

Gleipnir - This one’s gonna be weird. If it doesn’t turn into outright horror, it will probably at the very least be disturbing.

• Like 1

So far Gal & Dino was the only series awful enough for me to one and done (from the same staff as Pop Team Epic, so no surprise there). But Listeners & Wave, Listen to Me are already on thin ice.

Edited by Ohiotaku

Diary of Our Days at Breakwater - think I’ve found my cute gurl slice of life series for the season 😁 Of course being a city girl, Hina still isn’t comfortable with the slimy/smelly aspects of fishing 😂 And the ED is adorable 😍 

Edited by Ohiotaku

Tower of God still way too early to make any sort of judgement about the overall quality of the series. But Rak is certainly entertaining 😂

Kakushigoto I enjoyed the humor this week a lot more. And the insightful moments scattered throughout worked pretty well. Though the note it ended on seemed a bit too heavy for this early in the series.

Tanayomi still undecided on this one. Was hoping it would offer a more serious view on girls’ sports, but the trope of having the one twin being all touchy-feely with her teammates does not fill me with confidence. Diary of Our Days at Breakwater seems like it will largely be a lighthearted moe series, but fishing is a more laidback past time anyway & I liked it a lot.

Millionaire Detective: Balance Unlimited  another one-and-done for me. While I’m reasonably sure the character will change at least some as the series progresses, he’s such an unlikeable @$$hole from the start I really don’t want to see him again.

The 8th Son, Are You Kidding Me?! There were actually several plot points that came up the past 2 weeks that might’ve been interesting, but it just rushed by without developing them. So far has been a very generic & unimpressive entry in the isekai genre that I will probably drop.

Should go without saying that Fruits Basket 2nd season is near the top of my list already. Definite keeper.

Edited by Ohiotaku

Appare Ranman essentially a mashup of Wild, Wild West & Cannonball Run reimagined as an anime. Definitely has a Shinichirō Watanabe vibe to it (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo). If the debut episode is any indication, it’s in the running for my anime of the season, maybe even the year.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the 2nd episode of 8th son far more than the bs that was episode 1. Wish I just skipped that one entirely since episode 2 seemed to begin the series at a good point as it was without the isekai nonsense. Why did they even need to do that? 

Kaguya-sama: Love is War s2 seems like last season there will be a quite a bit of variance between segments. The one about Chika’s board game made me laugh lots (even though Gamers did something similar). The other segments were OK.

Sing Yesterday for Me not really special but I don’t dislike it. And dramas are a genre that I’m deficient on, so will probably stick with.

Future Folk Tales clearly intended for children with it’s art style & moral-of-the-story writing. Plus the stories receive the Disney treatment (sugarcoating). Though not surprising after reading how Zarqa’s story actually ends. As someone with an interest in folklore & legends from other cultures it’s not that bad as long as you accept it for what it’s intended to be (an Arabic version of Adventures from the Book of Virtues). And some of the backgrounds were actually beautiful.

Edited by Ohiotaku

On 4/10/2020 at 12:56 PM, Ohiotaku said:

Appare Ranman essentially a mashup of Wild, Wild West & Cannonball Run reimagined as an anime. Definitely has a Shinichirō Watanabe vibe to it (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo). If the debut episode is any indication, it’s in the running for my anime of the season, maybe even the year.

I'm definitely with you feelin this ome the most for AotS.

• Like 1

The recent State of Emergency declaration in Japan is making it’s presence felt. Both Appare Ranman & Diary of Our Days at Breakwater will go on hiatus after episode 3. There have been other titles as well & probably more to come. 

• Sad 1

With Appare Ranman on hiatus probably till at least July, my AOTS will most likely be a sequel: either Fruit’s Basket or Ascendence of a Bookworm. My favorite new series will most likely be Gleipnir, though I can see it being offputting to a lot of people. 

Edited by Ohiotaku

• 2 months later...