Hi, What's Up

Riolus

Recently got back into forums again after staying off the radar, and found this while I was searching for "anime forums." Nice and easy name to remember.

Got back into anime about two months ago. Currently doing a lot of binge watching during the isolation period of the Covid-19. Currently watching Vampire Princess MiyuLegend of the Galactic Heroes, and soon to start The Simpsons season 4.

Here's my AniList profile:
https://anilist.co/user/Meistro/animelist

I have almost 400 titles on my belt of completed anime, so yeah, I've been an anime viewer for quite some time now, having seen most of the big names mainstream titles out there. 😄

Other than anime, I also enjoy watching movies a lot and reading comic books, with an occasional delving into video games.

Hope to meet yall and have a nice day.

• Like 2
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

8 minutes ago, IIVIsouljam said:

Do you have a favorite comic? 

I do love Spider-Man comics a lot, but I haven't read them for a long time now. But I picked up the habit of comic-reading again recently, and I'm trying (and failing) to get through Kick-Ass 3, but I'm getting nowhere because reading just couldn't hold my attention. I'm more of a watcher than a reader, unfortunately. lol With my lack of attention span, reading can be an arduous task.

Thanks for the welcome. For myself, I'm trying my best not to drift in and out of anime like I used to, because once I "drift out," I know I'll probably not bother to pick up anime-watching again for another year or two due to sheer laziness (or a lack of motivation). lol It takes persistence to really sit myself down and watch anime for five to six weeks without doing much else.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy it here 😁

I’ve heard good things about LOTGH but not sure if it would be my thing because scifi series are kinda hit or miss  with me. I enjoy a lot of Leiji Matsumoto’s titles, but never really got  the appeal of the Gundam franchise .despite numerous attempts.

I was really into comics back in the 80’s & 90’s, primarily the Spiderman & X-men related titles. Still have a lot of nostalgia for the storylines of that era.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

I’ve heard good things about LOTGH but not sure if it would be my thing because scifi series are kinda hit or miss  with me. I enjoy a lot of Leiji Matsumoto’s titles, but never really got  the appeal of the Gundam franchise .despite numerous attempts.

I kinda get what you mean. For myself, anime like LoGH and Gundam wouldn't be my first choice either because they are set in space, and stories set in space tend to put me off because I feel that I might not be able to relate to them since they are not even stories set on a relatable environment like Earth! Same with high fantasy stories with elves and orcs. I just prefer my stories to be more mundane and realistic.

But as it turns out, I was wrong, and LoGH is very relatable as it 1) doesn't have aliens like Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica, and 2) is more about politics like democracy and dictatorship rather than about your usual space-related themes like mecha or giant robots.

On the same note, I also recently found out that a number of Gundam anime have relatable anti-war themes I might be interested in checking out too in the future, and you don't even have to watch all the Gundam titles to just jump right into one of them individually.

• Like 1

@Riolus

I’ve tried numerous entries in the Gundam franchise but none of them ever really clicked with me. I think Gundam Wing & Iron Blooded Orphans are the ones I made the most progress on. In general I’m not a fan of Mecha series with the exceptions of Macross, Robotech, Gunbuster & an obscure one called Str.A.In.  I’m actually more partial to the over the top stye of giant robot series like Guren Lagann, Mazinger Z or Big O. I tried Gundam Fighters because I’d heard it was like that, but nope :P 

Overall fantasy & supernatural are probably my favorite genres as I have an interest in mythology & folklore.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IIVIsouljam said:

Are the Kick-Ass comics any good? Super interested in the artwork!

I like them a lot more than the movies, which I felt were watered down. The comics were trying to make a point about vigilantism among superheroes, a more compelling message which I think the movies wasted by abandoning it for your typical superhero story. The third one, I heard, was supposed to subvert the reader's expectations even more, and from what've I read so far, the rumors ring true.

51 minutes ago, IIVIsouljam said:

I think I'll finally try and make time for The Umbrella Academy. Seems interesting enough. :) 

Haven;t read Umbrella Academy, but I saw the Netflix series. It was quite an entertaining watch and better than I expected. Can't wait for season 2.

51 minutes ago, IIVIsouljam said:

Anything in particular that got you interested in anime again? 

Not particularly. It was just one of those moments when I felt, "Alright, guess it's time to pick up the interest again." I left Blood+ and Monogatari SS uncomplete when I last abandoned the interest, so those two titles did contribute somewhat to my return. But ultimately, it's just a matter of being in the mood again, I guess. I'm a very fickle person.

And besides, I felt that it would a shame that, having seen so many popular anime titles in my life that I would just stop now. I should build up my viewing experience even more. lol

• Agree 1

Hello and welcome to AF hope you enjoy your time here. Always fun getting back into something new in particular something as awesome as anime. Hope to see you around.

• Like 1