What anime do you think is longer than it needs to be?

Otaking66lives

I'm not looking for the standard anime with major filler(Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, DBZ, Inu-Yasha). I'm wondering if there are any anime you personally think just went on too long? Any that went for a 26 episode series when the story could have easily been completely told in 13? A title went for multiple seasons when it only needed one? Discuss...

My pick? Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar. A very simple story easily hashed out in 13 episodes, stretched out too long because "Hey, it's Tenchi Muyo, fans will love it". Ugh.

Edited by Otaking66lives

The only three I can think of is Steins Gate 0, Ergo Proxy and Neon Genesis Evangelion. With Steins Gate ) this is more of an issue relating to the anime both recovering already established ideas from the original season and also a lack of materials that could be expanded to cover the number of episodes that they wanted for a full season.

Ergo Proxy and Evangelion feel like they keep trending the same ideas over and over again in the mid section rather than taking those ideas and expanding them or exploring them in a more interesting way. Shinji is weak and cowardly, 3 episodes later he's still weak and cowardly whilst Vincent is given so many clues about what he is and what a proxy is and that he is a proxy that it's barely worth exploring here in this post. 

spacer.png

Ergo/Eva fans please settle down just a little is only a... BANG!

1 hour ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

The only three I can think of is Steins Gate 0, Ergo Proxy and Neon Genesis Evangelion. With Steins Gate ) this is more of an issue relating to the anime both recovering already established ideas from the original season and also a lack of materials that could be expanded to cover the number of episodes that they wanted for a full season.

Ergo Proxy and Evangelion feel like they keep trending the same ideas over and over again in the mid section rather than taking those ideas and expanding them or exploring them in a more interesting way. Shinji is weak and cowardly, 3 episodes later he's still weak and cowardly whilst Vincent is given so many clues about what he is and what a proxy is and that he is a proxy that it's barely worth exploring here in this post. 

spacer.png

Ergo/Eva fans please settle down just a little is only a... BANG!

I agree Ergo could have cut three episodes, and perhaps reworked them to explore different ideas or themes in the narrative. Same with Eva, I was so excited when the introduced the idea of a fourth Eva pilot but that story was cut, and if they'd removed earlier filler that story might have been able to aid the weak middle section. Anime that I feel could have cut themselves beyond what has already been mentioned would have to be Mobile Suit Gundam which flounders about on Earth achieving nothing for far to long. Mobile Suit Gundam: Origin story covers a lot more and its far more gripping a narrative. 

True the original Gundam and to be fair Zeta Gundam and ZZ Gundamm shows are far two winded but that's more reflective of the times it was made in. Need 40+ episodes to sell toys to kids, make sure to get the TV spots for the re-runs whilst where at it, you know that sort of mentality that was the same for He-Man, G.I. Joe and the like form the American 80 cartoons. 

You know that

1 minute ago, MarathonGuy1337 said:

True the original Gundam and to be fair Zeta Gundam and ZZ Gundamm shows are far two winded but that's more reflective of the times it was made in. Need 40+ episodes to sell toys to kids, make sure to get the TV spots for the re-runs whilst where at it, you know that sort of mentality that was the same for He-Man, G.I. Joe and the like form the American 80 cartoons

That's an excuse. It doesn't change the fact its winded or the first show (I haven't seen Zeta or Zeta Zeta) is poorly paced with the characters doing the same stuff over and over again for forty something episodes. 

15 hours ago, Otaking66lives said:

The reason for it being too long doesn't matter, as long as you can make a case for your views.

A new one I've been contemplating is Gundam SEED. Anyone else seen this one?

I only heard about it, apparently the openings are dogged on by a few people online. I'm not hugely into Gundam, but from what @MarathonGuy1337 tells me its a alternate setting, not within the UC timeline. How long is the show, is it similar in length to the original show or the sequel series?

1 minute ago, Digimon_Sommelier said:

One Piece has over 1000 episodes. Let that sink in...

That's why I haven't started it, 1000 episodes you'd end up trying to break it down into manageable chucks. And at that point, say you get through the first few sections you've arbitrarily set. What if you fall off, come back to its later and you're lost. Plus I heard there's a bunch of filler, and if that is true... I think it might just become an endurance of will this episode move the story along or waste my time.