Which animangas that used to be popular were forgotten?

Caesarimbo

Three series that I used to like watching "back in the day" were Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2 and Dirty Pair.
Looking at them now I don't think they've aged well and I wonder what I ever saw in them, but I guess tastes change over time.

There's a few others I would put in the "haven't aged well" category.

But on the plus side, I think other series, Macross comes most readily to mind, has aged very well and I still enjoy watching it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Three series that I used to like watching "back in the day" were Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2 and Dirty Pair.
Looking at them now I don't think they've aged well and I wonder what I ever saw in them, but I guess tastes change over time.

Ranma 1/2 came to mind as a series that was popular particularly among the fanfic & cosplay community when I first started buying anime tapes in the 90s, but you really don’t hear about anymore. I don’t know how much of it is related to not aging well, but truth be told it’s humor got repetitive long before it’s run ended and there was little story or character development beyond the first couple seasons.
I feel like Urusei Yatsura owed a lot of it’s popularity to it being representative of western otaku culture with a lot of the humor based on japanese wordplay & folklore (it was also one of the earliest examples of the harem genre). Ironically, it was announced last month that an updated version was in production. Personally I think nostalgia is the biggest thing it has going for it, so not really expecting it to be popular in the west outside diehard fans. 
It also seems like mist of the parody/otaku culture works that were well known back in the day (Otaku no Video & Project A-ko for example) have been largely forgotten/ignored by the newer generations.

Bubblegum Crisis was pretty popular back in the day with the original OVA series, a sequel OVA series (Bubblegum Crash) some concert/AMV releases & the AD Police spin off. It got an update in the late 90’s but hasn’t really been heard from since.

As far as manga, I remember Fuhigi Yuugi & Gunsmith Cats being popular, but again don’t really hear about them anymore.

But it may be premature to declare some series “forgotten” as a number of obscure older ones have gotten remakes or sequels in recent years (Shaman King, Sorcerous Stabber Orphen & just recently announced: Bastard!!)

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-02-03/bastard-manga-gets-new-netflix-anime/.182161

Edited by Ohayotaku

Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, Bubblegum Crisis, Mobile Suit Gundam, Kimagure Orange Road, Maison Ikkoku, City Hunter, Ah My Goddess, Vampire Hunter D, Mobile Police Patlabor, They Were 11, Galaxy Express 999, Lupin the Third, Fist of the North Star, Arcadia of my Youth, Gunbuster, Macross, Legend of the Galactic Heroes...I could keep going...LOL! 🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Otaking66lives said:

Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, Bubblegum Crisis, Mobile Suit Gundam, Kimagure Orange Road, Maison Ikkoku, City Hunter, Ah My Goddess, Vampire Hunter D, Mobile Police Patlabor, They Were 11, Galaxy Express 999, Lupin the Third, Fist of the North Star, Arcadia of my Youth, Gunbuster, Macross, Legend of the Galactic Heroes...I could keep going...LOL! 🤣

Some of those deserve to be forgotten because they were pretty bad, other's should still be remembered as they are quite good. I leave it up people to make their own minds up about which is which.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 11:38 PM, Clavius said:

Wolf's Rain

I watched Wolf's Rain some time last year, it was so good and I really enjoyed the characters and the shows atmosphere. However ever time some ani-tuber sees the shows and reviews it they dog on it pretty harsh. So whilst I'm sad not a lot of people have seen it, it might be a blessing in disguised as it seems like the anime that either hits or misses with people.

Two shows I've watched recently, one completely the other I'm watching both got dubs back in the adult swim days - Blue Gender, and Witch Hunter Robin, however not sure if that means they were once popular or simply were picked by the network because they appeared marketable. Still Blue Gender is rarely spoken about, as is Witch Hunter Robin. Both shows defiantly show there age, as both can look quite rough looking at times. However Blue Gender I actually really enjoyed... Witch Hunter Robin might be better being left unearthed, I've struggled may way past the half way point.