Am i the only one hating descriptions on myanimelist?

Bulletje76

Myanimelist.net is a great source for animes. You can create your own list, look in other peoples list and select by type etc.

I think it is great.

BUT damn the descriptions are horrible. I have a feeling they are focus to much on making the description sound literary and sophisticated. I just want clarity on what the anime is like without all the superlatives and scenery. For instance (i am writing this myself now and exaggerating a bit)

Naruto shippuden:

My description would be:

"..A teenager lives in a world full of ninjas. There are several countries with their own ninja ninjutus and characters. Besides fighting each other, they have common enemies. It is a story about a boy getting stronger and stronger. From a zero to hero in a world full of action an almost magic powers..." 

But Myanimelist would make something like:

"..The dawn has set on konoha in a connected world where nothing is what it seems. A boy must find its own soul and strength and connect the people around him. Blooming into a grown man in a dreamlike world where very imaginary powers lie just a grap beneath the surface. His own path is sometimes not very clear to him , but is to others where succes may linger.."

Ah for fuck sake, just tell me what it is about

I find MAL to be a useful resource about an anime that I've heard about and am interested in finding out if it would be one I'd like.  The reviews are often informative, but like all reviews you have to read between the lines a bit to try and decide if the series under review is of a genre that the reviewer either likes or dislikes.  I also find that some of the synopsis they give can be misleading or even a bit inaccurate.

48 minutes ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

You know I rarely read the description for anime. I mostly go by openings I see. Or if it's considered similar to something I already like.

Hi could you explain, what do you mean by 'openings' ?? kind of anime trailers?

2 minutes ago, Animedragon said:

I find MAL to be a useful resource about an anime that I've heard about and am interested in finding out if it would be one I'd like.  The reviews are often informative, but like all reviews you have to read between the lines a bit to try and decide if the series under review is of a genre that the reviewer either likes or dislikes.  I also find that some of the synopsis they give can be misleading or even a bit inaccurate.

i am not talking about reviews but descriptions :)

32 minutes ago, Bulleje76 said:

i am not talking about reviews but descriptions :)

If you're referring to the synopsis at the top of the 'details' page then yes I agree they could be often be better.

• Like 1