Do you still own anything special from your childhood?

Sakura

Do you have a toy or stuffed animal, maybe a blanket, or anything really, that you've had since you were a kid that has a lot of sentimental value to you

I have a bear I've had since I was about a year old so he looks awful (picture under the spoiler). He used to have fuzzy fur, a bowtie, and wasn't so squashed 🤣 He's been sewn up many, many times too but he looks okay for a bear that was dragged everywhere and slept on every night. He's the only thing I still have from childhood since I lost everything in an apartment fire but he happened to be at my mom's house at the time so he was saved.

Post a picture of yours too if you want I'd love to see 💜

Spoiler

28fysvW.png

• Like 1

This is one of the oldest things I have, it's my very first model locomotive it was given to me when I was 4 and is now 66 years old, it no longer works of course.

The plastic bodywork is a couple of years younger because the loco fell off the table a couple of years after I was given it and broke. My father got me a new body for it from the manufacturer but it was a plain unpainted black one.  When I was around 12 or 13 I had a go at painting it, I suppose it's not a bad paint job considering my age at the time.

Loco.jpg.f228fd3ca64986bd0cdf884702d3455d.jpg

It's a 00 model and 11 inches long.

• Like 1

Wow it looks really great for having it that long! Especially since you got it at age 4 and children of course are usually pretty rough on things. The paint job looks really good too. 

2 hours ago, Sakura said:

Do you have a toy or stuffed animal, maybe a blanket, or anything really, that you've had since you were a kid that has a lot of sentimental value to you

I have a bear I've had since I was about a year old so he looks awful (picture under the spoiler). He used to have fuzzy fur, a bowtie, and wasn't so squashed 🤣 He's been sewn up many, many times too but he looks okay for a bear that was dragged everywhere and slept on every night. He's the only thing I still have from childhood since I lost everything in an apartment fire but he happened to be at my mom's house at the time so he was saved.

Post a picture of yours too if you want I'd love to see 💜

Reveal hidden contents

28fysvW.png

Aw, I used to have stuffed animals like that. They got packed away though once I reached adolescence because I was "getting too old" for them, as my folks would say. lol I understand, but that really broke my heart.

1 hour ago, Animedragon said:

This is one of the oldest things I have, it's my very first model locomotive it was given to me when I was 4 and is now 66 years old, it no longer works of course.

The plastic bodywork is a couple of years younger because the loco fell off the table a couple of years after I was given it and broke. My father got me a new body for it from the manufacturer but it was a plain unpainted black one.  When I was around 12 or 13 I had a go at painting it, I suppose it's not a bad paint job considering my age at the time.

Loco.jpg.f228fd3ca64986bd0cdf884702d3455d.jpg

It's a 00 model and 11 inches long.

Looks good for having it that long. I don't even have that much in such good shape from my childhood.

I've got the full Yu-Gi-Oh! series on DVD which I consider a big part of my childhood. I first watched the show when I was incredibly young, back when it was on Kids WB which is now The CW. It was on Saturday mornings, and I never got to see all of it, so I wanted to buy the whole series. I'm glad I did. With my memory problems, I forget a TON of details in the series, so it's something that I'll always value and keep. Otherwise, I don't have anything from my actual childhood, so I hope the Yugioh series collection counts. Because it's really the only thing I have left from my childhood. I've got some DBZ, but not all of it. So, it's an incomplete collection of that. I started collecting those when I was a kid, but without the full series I don't really think I'll be keeping it.

• Friendly 1

Having the Yu-Gi-Oh DVD's definitely count ^^ I've been going out and buying a lot of things that I had as a kid too lately such as digimon pillows, Yugioh cards, etc just to have them again for that nostalgia feeling lol. 

47 minutes ago, Sakura said:

Having the Yu-Gi-Oh DVD's definitely count ^^ I've been going out and buying a lot of things that I had as a kid too lately such as digimon pillows, Yugioh cards, etc just to have them again for that nostalgia feeling lol. 

Nice! I'm sure they're probably at a premium since the creator actually passed away this year though. Good timing on my part. lol No way would I be able to get all 5 seasons before they sold out now. My big sis' used to get me the individual DVDs of the series, which I still do have. I should've probably mentioned that first since she got them for me when I was a kid and still very much believed it had ties to ancient Egypt. I believed it until my late 20s. Sometimes I wonder though, what kind of games did they have back then? It's a cool thought to think that they really may have had magical games like that. I love ancient Egypt. ^^ I should see if I can get 3 Blue-Eyes White Dragons though. I used to, but I really don't know where they went. ><

The old stuff from 1996-2000s always cost a lot anyways because it's "vintage". I feel really old when people are calling stuff from my childhood vintage 🤣 I'd like to believe they had magical games because it's a nice thought lol You should! You can actually buy those really cheap online and it's always nice to have something like that you really liked as a kid.

4 hours ago, Sakura said:

The old stuff from 1996-2000s always cost a lot anyways because it's "vintage". I feel really old when people are calling stuff from my childhood vintage 🤣 I'd like to believe they had magical games because it's a nice thought lol You should! You can actually buy those really cheap online and it's always nice to have something like that you really liked as a kid.

Seriously? That sucks. I'd planned on getting a bunch of shows from back when I was a kid, but knowing that, I bet the chances are slim in finding affordable DVDs. >< I know! I feel old too. lol I'm only 35! >< I will, next time I'm able to get something. Which is occasionally once a month. lol

8 hours ago, Sakura said:

Wow it looks really great for having it that long! Especially since you got it at age 4 and children of course are usually pretty rough on things. The paint job looks really good too. 

According to my parents I was pretty hard on that loco, I kept it and its two coaches  running round and round its little circle of track for hours and hours.  I wouldn't be surprised if the motor was burnt out due to over use.

9 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

Seriously? That sucks. I'd planned on getting a bunch of shows from back when I was a kid, but knowing that, I bet the chances are slim in finding affordable DVDs. >< I know! I feel old too. lol I'm only 35! >< I will, next time I'm able to get something. Which is occasionally once a month. lol

I think the DVDs are still pretty affordable. Recently I got like 5 Yugioh DVDs for about $10 on a reseller app. And when I flipped through it just now there are a lot of GXs for pretty cheap. Way cheaper than you would buy in a store brand new. 

8 hours ago, Animedragon said:

According to my parents I was pretty hard on that loco, I kept it and its two coaches  running round and round its little circle of track for hours and hours.  I wouldn't be surprised if the motor was burnt out due to over use.

I feel like I would have done the same lol things like I liked to watch as a kid I still like to look at model trains actually but the only time I see them set up around here is usually at like Christmas time but they are always cool. 

23 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Oh, I didn't expect that. You were a kid though, so it's to be expected that you used it a lot. ^^

14 hours ago, Sakura said:

I think the DVDs are still pretty affordable. Recently I got like 5 Yugioh DVDs for about $10 on a reseller app. And when I flipped through it just now there are a lot of GXs for pretty cheap. Way cheaper than you would buy in a store brand new. 

Which reseller app did you use? I might have to use it, too. Besides that... what is a reseller app? lol Sorry, I ask questions about things that should be obvious a lot of the time. I chalk it up to my autism really. So do a lot of other people. ^^;

6 minutes ago, Wild Emotion said:

Oh, I didn't expect that. You were a kid though, so it's to be expected that you used it a lot. ^^

Apart from over-using some of it I generally looked after my stuff, I had to really this was early to mid 1950's the war hadn't been over that long and although rationing was ended in 1954 some things were apparently still hard to get, and my parents didn't have a lot of money.

Every Sunday my family and my aunt and uncle's family had Sunday lunch at grandma and grandpa's house.  I thought it was just a family tradition, but years later I found out it was because my parents couldn't afford to buy a proper Sunday lunch.

@AnimedragonThat puts things into perspective. Some people kind of take it for granted that they can get stuff almost regularly these days, but I don't think many people will know that kind of hardship again. I can't imagine having a story like that. People can forget how things used to be, but we have to remember, so we don't end up in the same situations repeated in the past to the present. I've heard something before. "There are no winners in war." Though I can't remember who said it. I'm glad you were able to appreciate your stuff when you were a kid on a level that most kids today won't likely know.

Edited by Wild Emotion
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

Which reseller app did you use? I might have to use it, too. Besides that... what is a reseller app? lol Sorry, I ask questions about things that should be obvious a lot of the time. I chalk it up to my autism really. So do a lot of other people. ^^;

A reseller app is just an app like Ebay where people resell things they have, a lot of times it's brand new in boxes and sometimes it's slightly used. You can get it for much cheaper than retail though and the one I use is Mercari. I've done close to 300 purchases on it, as well as sold about 40 things and never had an issue with something arriving not as described or not arriving at all so it's a really good place to look for things you want currently or find things you wanted as a kid because people sell a lot of anime items from the 90s and early 2000s on there. 

5 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

@AnimedragonThat puts things into perspective. Some people kind of take it for granted that they can get stuff almost regularly these days, but I don't think many people will know that kind of hardship again. I can't imagine having a story like that. People can forget how things used to be, but we have to remember, so we don't end up in the same situations repeated in the past to the present. I've heard something before. "There are no winners in war." Though I can't remember who said it. I'm glad you were able to appreciate your stuff when you were a kid on a level that most kids today won't likely know.

While I didn't have a lot of the stuff kids today have I still had lots of fun with my friends. Also the world was a bit safer back then, can you imagine parents today letting 5 year olds roam the local streets on their bikes and go to the park on their own?

• Friendly 1

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

While I didn't have a lot of the stuff kids today have I still had lots of fun with my friends. Also the world was a bit safer back then, can you imagine parents today letting 5 year olds roam the local streets on their bikes and go to the park on their own?

I feel really lucky for having been born in a time where this was still the norm, the last generation where it was normal I think. My sister who is 16 years younger than me never had this experience and we've talked about it before. She likes to hear about when I was a kid and I would play outside with my friends just in groups on the street until it was time to go in for dinner, and she's mentioned how she's always dreamed of doing that but her Gen Z generation just really never did. I rarely ever see kids just outside playing, in fact I don't even recall the last time I did. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sakura said:

A reseller app is just an app like Ebay where people resell things they have, a lot of times it's brand new in boxes and sometimes it's slightly used. You can get it for much cheaper than retail though and the one I use is Mercari. I've done close to 300 purchases on it, as well as sold about 40 things and never had an issue with something arriving not as described or not arriving at all so it's a really good place to look for things you want currently or find things you wanted as a kid because people sell a lot of anime items from the 90s and early 2000s on there. 

NICE!! I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for that one in that case. Can you use credit cards on there? Mom just lets me use hers as a reward for chores sometimes, but other than that none of us here use paypal. ><

7 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Having fun as a kid is important. It's always a good thing to have when you're a kid, just as much fun as you can. Well, safely. But yeah, these days I'd never let a kid of my own ride their bike to the park. I'd walk there with them, or ride a bike there with them (I can't drive). Sometimes the earlier times do sound like the better days though, at least in some ways.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wild Emotion said:

NICE!! I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for that one in that case. Can you use credit cards on there? Mom just lets me use hers as a reward for chores sometimes, but other than that none of us here use paypal. ><

Having fun as a kid is important. It's always a good thing to have when you're a kid, just as much fun as you can. Well, safely. But yeah, these days I'd never let a kid of my own ride their bike to the park. I'd walk there with them, or ride a bike there with them (I can't drive). Sometimes the earlier times do sound like the better days though, at least in some ways.

Yeah yis you can use credit cards, that's what I use to pay for things. It also has something called Zip pay in 4 which I use when I buy something like 100+ dollars because then it only takes out 25$ every 2 weeks and somehow that seems less expensive o_o You have to be careful you don't get a lot of these pay-in-4s stacked up. But you can find anything you are looking for just about including tons of the old DVDs, games, toys, etc that aren't on the market anymore and I've bought a lot of these for the sentimental value lol

• Friendly 1

3 minutes ago, Sakura said:

Yeah yis you can use credit cards, that's what I use to pay for things. It also has something called Zip pay in 4 which I use when I buy something like 100+ dollars because then it only takes out 25$ every 2 weeks and somehow that seems less expensive o_o You have to be careful you don't get a lot of these pay-in-4s stacked up. But you can find anything you are looking for just about including tons of the old DVDs, games, toys, etc that aren't on the market anymore and I've bought a lot of these for the sentimental value lol

Thanks for mentioning it! Now maybe I cal get the original DBZ series! Kai was ok, but I missed the bloody effects of the original. Big chunk of my childhood, just like Yugioh. Originally I compared 17 and 18 to me and sis, but I think it's about time I started comparing Marik and Ishizu to her and me. For many reasons. Sorry for going off-topic there. I can't help it when I think of her. I'll look up that app though! ^^

• Friendly 1

I'm not sure if I can say 'something from my childhood' just yet lmao, but I do have some things from when I was younger.

I have this little Christmas picture frame I painted when I was in year 1 for school. It has a picture of my class from when I was little in it. I had to change schools in year 5 and that absolutely broke my heart, so I used to find myself looking at the picture a lot. I tend to get really attached to people lol

I also have this little fairy doll I got from my grandfather who passed away a few years ago. It's fairly broken and beat up, and dolls scare the crap out of me, but I love it nonetheless. It just stays out of sight where I can't see it lmao. I think she's still really pretty, even if she's missing a leg <33

20230820_225132.thumb.jpg.600761fa5e5e095ab19bee9f0bd8b9be.jpg

Excuse the low quality image

• Friendly 1

I get really attached to people as well, it's nice to have the memories of being with them.

That's cute ^^ It's nice to have something from your grandma, I wish I still had anything like that from mine. Dolls scare me too though XD But the prettier ones that don't look as weird like the one you posted don't really freak me out too much. 

• Friendly 1