Music You Relate To

Metro

So I was thinking about how much of a big part music is to my life, constantly playing songs in my head on repeat and thinking about playing music and seeing music. 

I've been to more concerts than I can ever keep count of, going back to when I was 3 years old seeing U2, in a sense it was my families form of a holiday, we never went anywhere other back to Scotland but we spent a lot of the year traveling to see concerts. 

This has shaped me more than I can ever imagine and my music taste is so diverse I would happily listen to pretty much anything. 

But I'm thinking of bands or music that shaped you as a person or that you can relate to. 

Obviously, for me, a lot of my music was passed down from my dad but a band that was a big part of my life was Imagine Dragons, constantly looking up to Dan Reynolds as a person and artist. 

And another band that was a huge part of my teenage years and the first band I begged my parents to go see live was The 1975, their music was an obsession for me. And how happy I was at the concert, knowing it was my concert and a band that I discovered myself made me really open up with my parents. 

This is only skimming the surface of music for me but It's all I can really think about, kind of more of a ramble post! 

Anyway! Share your music stories with me! 

I never went to a lot of concerts until I was an adult because my mom is kind of a crazy strict Christian and the church we attended believed you shouldn't listen to anything but gospel music. But as a teenager I listened to a lot of music such as Linkin Park, Evanescence, Slipknot, Framing Hanley, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Three Days Grace, etc, groups like this that my angsty teenage soul felt like it related too 🤭

But these days as an adult groups like BTS and TXT have really changed my life because they deliver such a positive message about loving yourself and I think I really needed that in my life now. It's helped me get through a lot of things that I don't think I would have been able to get through without them and their music and it's very likely I would not be here typing this message right now. Music can have such a powerful effect on people that it's really amazing. 

• Friendly 1

4 minutes ago, Sakura said:

I never went to a lot of concerts until I was an adult because my mom is kind of a crazy strict Christian and the church we attended believed you shouldn't listen to anything but gospel music. But as a teenager I listened to a lot of music such as Linkin Park, Evanescence, Slipknot, Framing Hanley, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Three Days Grace, etc, groups like this that my angsty teenage soul felt like it related too 🤭

Same, although I was lucky in that my parents loosened up on the strictness the older I got. Before I got my driver's permit, if there was a CD I wanted to buy (back in the days before streaming services like Spotify were a thing), and it had the Parental Advisory sticker on the front of it, my dad would automatically say, "Nope! Put it back." Sometimes my mom would let me get one here and there, but my dad was usually the stricter of the two. I don't think it helped that I began to get into heavy metal (Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, Meshuggah, Pantera, etc.) at that time, either. 🤘

I didn't really attend any concerts until just recently in my early 30s. It never really occurred to me to just buy a ticket and go. My brother went to see Opeth one time, and from then on, he started asking me to go with him to concerts. Amon Amarth and Sabaton are two bands I love to go see live. AA just puts on one 'Hel' of a show (see what I did there? 😜), and Sabaton are some of the most entertaining dudes I've ever seen on a stage. I usually go to metal concerts, but I think one of the best concerts I ever went to was when Roger Waters played the Greensboro Coliseum in NC during his Us + Them tour in 2017. I daresay, that was about the closest thing to a religious experience I think I've ever had in my life. Now if David Gilmour would just come through...... and not charge $300+ for general admission.

On Spotify, I listen to a lot of different things. I've been really into Synthwave for the past couple of years, because I love that classic 80s vibe and sound, but it can have a more aggressive edge to it, depending on the artist. Carpenter Brut and Perturbator (specifically his albums Dangerous Days and The Uncanny Valley) are what got me into this broad genre.

Here lately, I've really been enjoying Drab Majesty, particularly their Modern Mirror album. I would absolutely love to go see them live. Maybe one day they'll come through NC when I have the time to go see them. 😭 Here's a couple of my personal favorite songs from them:

Ellipses

The Skin and The Glove

Oxytocin

There's a TON more that I like, but this is probably a good 'round-about' of what I generally listen to. Mostly metal and synthwave, though.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I relate to Pink Floyd's The Wall. I know its an album and not a song but I just relate to it so much especially side 3 and especially the song "Nobody Home". The song is about having nobody to talk to you and nobody for you to talk to which is what I feel at this point in time. Another song off the album I relate too is "One of My Turns" especially first few lines of the song.

• Like 1