Myths and legends

Clayton

Posted (edited)

I like reading about the mythical monsters and creatures that supposedly lurk around such as Moth Man, The Jersey Devil, Bigfoot/skunk apes, the White River monster, Kentucky goblins, Beast of Bray Road, Loch Ness, La Lhorona, and not mention all the Japanese lore of the various Yokai.

My favorite though are Wendigo & Skinwalkers. Both of which scare the hell out of me but I still find them interesting. I went down a rabbit hole of learning a lot of both and watching a bunch of videos late at night about them several times xD Oh there is also something called a "Not Deer" which is sort of like a Wendigo I guess but a little different and that creeps me out but it's very interesting. There isn't much information about the Not-Deer though. 

I guess all my favorite myths/legends are more to do with creepy creatures and beasts though that are rumored to be in certain areas and have a lot of local town lore behind them. 

Edited by Sakura
  • Like 1

My favorite legend of myth surrounding a person was about King Midas from Greek mythology who was said to be able to turn everything he touched into gold. 

About places I always became fascinated with the legend of Atlantis. A lot of scientist today don't think Atlantis was real or ever existed but still there is a lot of search for the city that sank into the ocean. I also read a lot about a similar place called El Dorado which is said to be a city of gold somewhere in South America in the rainforests. 

• Like 1

My favourite is the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
There is of course some debate about the historical accuracy of the Arthurian legends and it's one of those legends that  has been added to and embellished over the centuries.
Some historians claim that the legend is based on a real tribal leader named Arthur, others maintain that the whole legend is just a story and King Arthur never actually existed.
This does not stop many English people, especially in Somerset, from believing that that he was a real historical figure. nor did it stop the monks of Glastonbury Abbey from announcing that they had found his tomb.
I've even visited the site of it in the remains of Glastonbury Abbey.

DSC_0025.JPG.fa974cfa066326f5b10a48a4e9f0d59b.JPG

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 10:42 AM, Animedragon said:

My favourite is the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
There is of course some debate about the historical accuracy of the Arthurian legends and it's one of those legends that  has been added to and embellished over the centuries.
Some historians claim that the legend is based on a real tribal leader named Arthur, others maintain that the whole legend is just a story and King Arthur never actually existed.
This does not stop many English people, especially in Somerset, from believing that that he was a real historical figure. nor did it stop the monks of Glastonbury Abbey from announcing that they had found his tomb.
I've even visited the site of it in the remains of Glastonbury Abbey.

Personally i wonder if King Arthur might be connected to the story of Japan's Kusanagi ("grass cutter") sword, retrieved from the eight headed dragon. It supposedly disappeared into the sea roughly the same time Arthur pulled the sword from the stone and a Japanese dragon would have made a great Lady in the Lake. 

https://bettermyths.com/387-2/#link-for-arthurian

On 5/6/2024 at 7:42 PM, Sakura said:

I like reading about the mythical monsters and creatures that supposedly lurk around such as Moth Man, The Jersey Devil, Bigfoot/skunk apes, the White River monster, Kentucky goblins, Beast of Bray Road, Loch Ness, La Lhorona, and not mention all the Japanese lore of the various Yokai.

My favorite though are Wendigo & Skinwalkers. Both of which scare the hell out of me but I still find them interesting. I went down a rabbit hole of learning a lot of both and watching a bunch of videos late at night about them several times xD Oh there is also something called a "Not Deer" which is sort of like a Wendigo I guess but a little different and that creeps me out but it's very interesting. There isn't much information about the Not-Deer though. 

I guess all my favorite myths/legends are more to do with creepy creatures and beasts though that are rumored to be in certain areas and have a lot of local town lore behind them. 

You should look up "Deer woman" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_Woman

On 5/7/2024 at 7:58 AM, Zeref said:

My favorite legend of myth surrounding a person was about King Midas from Greek mythology who was said to be able to turn everything he touched into gold. 

About places I always became fascinated with the legend of Atlantis. A lot of scientist today don't think Atlantis was real or ever existed but still there is a lot of search for the city that sank into the ocean. I also read a lot about a similar place called El Dorado which is said to be a city of gold somewhere in South America in the rainforests. 

Most people do not know how he turned his daughter back to flesh. 

Edited by Clayton
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Clayton said:

Personally i wonder if King Arthur might be connected to the story of Japan's Kusanagi ("grass cutter") sword, retrieved from the eight headed dragon. It supposedly disappeared into the sea roughly the same time Arthur pulled the sword from the stone and a Japanese dragon would have made a great Lady in the Lake. 

It's certainly an interesting idea.