Evangelion 3.0

Optic

Where do I start... and bearing in mind I will definitely give this a second viewing because this was very convoluted yet intriguing because almost none of it mirrored the original TV series story!

We're taken 14 years in the future after Shinji initiated third impact but was stopped by Kaworu based on the short teaser we saw at the end credits of Evangelion 2.0. Things are radically different, NERV is a shadow of its former self. Shinji wakes up on board the Wunder ship with a crew wanting to put an end to NERV's activities.

Asuka and Mari are even more badass with their awesome battle skills, combined with the Wunder flying ship and its flying navy!

As the movie went on I felt more questions kept popping up with few answers. Thoughts:

• What happened during those 14 years? Kaworu befriends Shinji and eventually explains the cause and effect of the third impact but it doesn't quite paint the full picture of why Misato, Ritsuko, Ikari and all the previous characters we all knew came to be split into two groups. And Suzuhara is a medical officer?! Heck where did these new characters come from? Hope we learn more about their story.

• Did Rei Ayanami survive during the third impact incident? Shinji struggles trying to find the Ayanami he thought he saved. Back in the TV series the first Rei sacrificed herself by going kamikazi with the N2 weapon. It's not quite clear whether the original Ayanami survived back in 1.0 and towards the beginning of 2.0 as she and Shinji were getting close.

• Gendo Ikari and SEELE? Towards the end we see Fuyutsuki flicking switches which appear to be shutting down SEELE (killing them?) so that Gendo can continue the Human Instrumentality Project to be closer to Yui (his continued affection for Yui hasn't changed here) But why was SEELE silent for so long during those 14 years?

• Fourth impact - Kaworu and Shinji are ordered to retrieve the two spears which causes the fourth impact. This was the most convoluted part which left me reeling. Was it Gendo acting rogue or SEELE that orchestrated this plan? How did either one of the two know Kaworu was an angel if it was orchestrated?

• Mari's past - We still don't know Mari's past! She was introduced in Evangelion 2.0 as a new pilot and I was hoping we would know more about her but it seems this was Shinji's and Kaworu's story...

Otherwise it was beautiful. I really liked how Kaworu's character was explored much more deeply in Evangelion 3.0 compared to the TV series. Yes he had a lot of focus in the TV series too but we see a side of him we haven't seen before. The way he was introduced is also very different, in the original TV series he was a replacement pilot after Toji was incapacitated. Here we're left guessing as it's not clear what happened exactly during those 14 years, but it's clear he was around since the start as he was the one that stopped third impact from happening during Evangelion 2.0.

What are your thoughts and how did you find it? :)

Edited by Guest

The movie was great. Tho I expected more action scenes... However, it was fansicate! I think this movie is a build up for Rebuild 4.0 tho...

Rei Ayanami did not survive the 3rd impact... It was said that her 'soul' is now in Eva01 with Shinji mum.. The Rei in Rebuild 3.0 is a clone. She have not experienced the things the orginal Rei experience and hence, the lack of feelings, emotions and behaviour.

Hahahaha

As for the rest of the question I will have to rewatch it to gain more knowledge... ><

hahaha

I agree that I like how they focuses on Kaworu's character more here, as compared to the TV series whereby is kinda just a touch and go... lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ah yes that is true... Towards the end though we do see the clone Rei becoming more self-aware, breaking away from her usual routine so maybe Shinji will get close to Rei again as she gains new memories?

Need more opinions! Surely other members have seen it too? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Let me sum it up: it made close to no sense.

Gendo and his pal are running NERV by themselves? They even built a whole new Eva alone!

Why won't Asuka and Mari just go there and shoot the NERV HQ to pieces? They were clearly able to infiltrate it and they could easily fight Rei. Why didn't they attack while Shinji was in the sarcophagus in space?

Which reminds me, who put that sarcophagus in space and why?

Why wouldn't they just kill Shinji after retrieving him from space? They obviously treat him as a threat. Why not just get rid of him instead of putting poor boy under even more psychological pressure (even though everyone knows how unstable he is)?

And all the scheming Gendo does, behind everyone else's backs... He first treats the issue as of utmost importance then when it fails he goes "oh well this should do for now", as if building more Evas would be but a child's play for him. Who impaled Lilith with two lances of Longinus? Where did the second one come from? How did that Angel get into Eva 6?

And that preview... Armies of Eva (presumably under NERV's command)... Honestly, as much as I liked 1.0 and 2.0, this movie was a total blunder and I'm afraid with 4.0 the series will be even worse off than with the original TV airing's ending (which was admittedly so fucked up they had to make End of Evangelion to fix it).

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thread revival.

Very harsh and cold tone in 3.0, Asuka and Misato are just jarring. I enjoyed the movie but there were so many discrepancies, such as the "curse of Eva", which prevented Mari and Asuka from aging at all. Speaking of Mari, she literally fly in out of nowhere in 2.0 and her still being unexplained is annoying.

Once again with the spears. How are there two spears of Longinus? Why was one of them supposed to be a spear of Cassius? In either case, why are there two spears at all? How were the two spears supposed to reverse things as suggested by Kaworu?

What about the key of Nebuchadnezzar? It appears to be the equivalent of Adams embryo, but it just gets mentioned and then forgotten like so many other things. How does the key open the door to instrumentality? If everyone came from Lilith, the seed of life which actually got destroyed in this movie, wouldn't Lilith be the key?

How on Earth did Kaworu manage to minimize the effects of the impacts? How can Gendo appear to be instrumenting (pun intended) everything with so many unpredictable factors. Oh well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

During the time I was making Landing Pages for Evangelion 2.0 and 3.0, I came across a rumor stating that Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 (the final movie) would be coming out between Autumn and Winter 2015. Rei, Shinji and Asuka are supposed to be the main characters. Anyways, I hope it answers the questions y'all have been having.

• 10 months later...

Bumping this... again.

Here we are in May 2016 and still no release date for Final. I need closure! I realise they don't want to rush it, but bear in mind Evangelion 3.0 did come out back in November 2012... would be worth rewatching them all again once a confirmed release date is set to refresh my memory.

evangelion-3-0.thumb.jpg.3d062c6a30ecf713885ebf17b78bc0bf.jpg

• Geano locked this topic