Fullmetal Alchemist vs Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

User 1510

I quite liked both of them, though I haven't seen the original series in quite some time so my memory is very hazy. I think that brotherhood offers more of a story than the original or it's just easier for me to follow. The ending for brotherhood was soooooooo so much more satisfying for me and it pretty much follows the same story just adds to it from what I remember which I really liked. ^_^

• Agree 1

I quite liked both of them, though I haven't seen the original series in quite some time so my memory is very hazy. I think that brotherhood offers more of a story than the original or it's just easier for me to follow. The ending for brotherhood was soooooooo so much more satisfying for me and it pretty much follows the same story just adds to it from what I remember which I really liked. ^_^

I would also prefer the ending of Brotherhood as it had a more solid resolution, even though the original series was my first love of the franchise. I actually have both series box sets, as I feel that Brotherhood can be treated like a sequel even though it is actually a retelling of the adventure (manga point of view).

• Like 1

I would have to say I enjoyed them equally to each other and had watched them with in a short period of each other as I enjoyed the first so much I was looking for another fix of the same to fill the void

but id have to say brotherhood probably introduced me to the little part of me that may like a lolli with sute little May Chang aww who am I kidding when Winry Rockbell is a round that's impossible xp

upload_2017-1-14_18-37-57.jpeg.1b61e5137dc4e326d2d0651ac2dd3603.jpeg

80248.jpg.6233b75c4cd31e182717cb8e7a60f363.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

I would have to say I enjoyed them equally to each other and had watched them with in a short period of each other as I enjoyed the first so much I was looking for another fix of the same to fill the void

but id have to say brotherhood probably introduced me to the little part of me that may like a lolli with May Chang aww who am I kidding when Winry Rockbell is a round that's impossible xp

[ATTACH=full]30438[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]30437[/ATTACH]

I agree that both series can be equally enjoyed. I also agree that May Chang is really cute.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really like FMA Brotherhood, truly, but I gotta be honest, it's the worst of the two outright for me. Some of the new characters introduced in it really aren't as likable as ones that are in both anime, and while it's hard to have a full cast of characters that everyone remembers, especially with a cast that size, it says something that so many are remembered so fondly and others, are just forgettable. It speaks volumes that I remember the episode where Lust nearly falls in love with a human and then they all end up turning into trees more than I remember May Chang. There's also the fact that I really was annoyed with how rushed the plot that we'd already seen in the previous show was. Two of the best moments in anime history take place there, and because brotherhood assumes you've already seen it, they drain almost all the emotion out of both of those genre encompassing moments, and that just ruins the set-up for the whole rest of the series.

I also found myself annoyed with exactly how many beats the anime took from the manga, because it seems like it's more than it needed to. I get it's an adaptation, but sometimes word for word and shot for shot take away from making a show feel like it's own entity instead of a rip-off of it's source material. The last thing that bothers me, is the perfect Disney ending that we get. These characters go through hell and back, and because most of them by and large end up with what they want, all is forgiven, despite how terrible some of it is, and they all go back to living the lives they had before they went down the paths that lead them through the show.

The original show had to come up with it's own plot wherein some of the best moments of the show happened. Even the writer of the manga really liked what they had done, and it made more sense for things to not end on such a happy note, because again, they went through, and did some really terrible things. To make it seem like a vast majority of those things didn't have a lasting impact on them is almost shameful, and I honestly wish that rather than making a live action FMA, they'd continue the plot where Ed and Al are trying to stop the atomic bomb from being made which was hinted at in the end of Conquer of Shambala. Speaking of, the original FMA had better a movie and some of the best OVA's that were ever made, Brotherhood simply did not. Well, I didn't mean to write half an essay here, but I have to admit, that even now people favoring the second adaption over the first bothers me to no end. Brotherhood really is great, probably in my top 10 all time sitting at around 8 or 9, but the original is number 1 or 2, and the gap there is larger than the weakest enemy in an anime compared to the strongest.

Edited by Guest
  • Informative 1

I really like FMA Brotherhood, truly, but I gotta be honest, it's the worst of the two outright for me. Some of the new characters introduced in it really aren't as likable as ones that are in both anime, and while it's hard to have a full cast of characters that everyone remembers, especially with a cast that size, it says something that so many are remembered so fondly and others, are just forgettable. It speaks volumes that I remember the episode where Lust nearly falls in love with a human and then they all end up turning into trees more than I remember May Chang. There's also the fact that I really was annoyed with how rushed the plot that we'd already seen in the previous show was. Two of the best moments in anime history take place there, and because brotherhood assumes you've already seen it, they drain almost all the emotion out of both of those genre encompassing moments, and that just ruins the set-up for the whole rest of the series.

I also found myself annoyed with exactly how many beats the anime took from the manga, but it seems like it's more than it needed to. I get it's an adaptation but sometimes word for word and shot for shot take away from making a show feel like it's own entity instead of a rip-off of it's source material. The last thing that bothers me, is the perfect Disney ending that we get. These characters go through hell and back, and because most of them by and large end up with what they want, all is forgiven, despite how terrible some of it is and they all go back to living the lives they had before they went down the paths that lead them through the show.

The original show had to come up with it's own plot wherein some of the best moments of the show happened. Even the writer of the mange really like what they had done, and it made more sense for things to not end on such a happy note, because again, they went through, and did some really terrible things, To make it seem like a vast majority of those things didn't have a lasting impact on them is almost shameful, and I honestly wish that rather than making a live action FMA, they'd continue the plot where Ed and Al are trying to stop the atomic bomb from being made which was hinted at in the end of Conquer of Shambala. Speaking of, the original FMA had a better movies and some of the best OVA's that were ever made, Brotherhood simply did not. Well, I didn't mean to write half an essay here, but I have to admit, that even now people favoring the second adaption over the first bothers me to no end. Brotherhood really is great, probably in my top 10 all time sitting around 8 or 9, but the original is number 1 or 2, and the gap there is larger than the weakest enemy in an anime compared to the strongest.

I admit to being a fan of the original series as it was my first love of the franchise.

• Like 1

I admit that both have their strong suits, in the first I found the character interactions and plot points to be great though the ending was a little disjointed. I don't think Brotherhood does Mustang, Hughes and Marcoh justice and for those points I still think the first is great. Brotherhood does have a really strong story in comparison and the conclusion is spot on with everything tied up nicely. The fact that brotherhood was so much darker is both good and bad and makes it kind of a conditional watch for me on subsequent revisits.

End verdict, love them both.

• Like 1

I admit that both have their strong suits, in the first I found the character interactions and plot points to be great though the ending was a little disjointed. I don't think Brotherhood does Mustang, Hughes and Marcoh justice and for those points I still think the first is great. Brotherhood does have a really strong story in comparison and the conclusion is spot on with everything tied up nicely. The fact that brotherhood was so much darker is both good and bad and makes it kind of a conditional watch for me on subsequent revisits.

End verdict, love them both.

I agree they are both brilliant (a reason to treat brotherhood as a sequel).

• Geano locked this topic