2D vs 3D anime

Greeneyes

3D or 2D  

3 members have voted

1. 1. 3D or 2D

• 2D Fine with it is!
    • 3D Need them to pop!
    • Idc...

I know you guys notice when a 2D anime uses 3D or the difference between a 3D anime and a 2D so do you like 3D or are you not a fan of when they use 3D? Do you care?

What do you prefer and why?

lol.jpg.9276b1f7dbf9ae2b099fe300955d21a2.jpg

soul-worker-your-destiny-awaits-7908.jpg.008175bf14f20aeeddc0406010942e31.jpg

• Like 1

You know it really depends. Sometimes anime like what Ufotable works by blending them, sometimes an anime comes along like Haruka and the Magic Mirror and justifies 3D animation, and sometimes, we still get stale 3D movements from characters that are supposed to look dramatic and fail completely, while the 2D animations look more fluid. Overall, I'd say until 3D animation can get over it's inherent, assuming it does, 2D is the clearly better choice.

I haven't seen many titles with much 3D other than in OP and ED scenes..

The most memorable one that comes to me is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, the OP was completely 3D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkMzn4et2U

Considering it came out in 2002, very gorgeous at the time! It did seem a little out of the place as the rest of the anime was in normal 2D. But even so, the rest of the anime and 2nd gig still looks great and better than many new titles that don't have a decent budget..

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mind 3D, but, if it's not done properly, it takes you out of the experience. A good example would be Seirei no Moribito. The 2D animation, in my opinion is excellent. But, the 3D animation is not. It's very noticeable and feels out of place.

Also, this is something personal, but, I think 3D animation is not suitable for me. I'm watching this anime called God Eater, and the anime is like 100% 3D. I'm at episode 11 right now, and it still feels kind of weird to me. Maybe because it reminds me of visual novel video games, and video games based off of anime, which utilize 3D animation.

• Geano locked this topic