skill? or pure luck ?, or just coincidence ?!

XII360

tumblr_inline_ntudcd06g91qds6iw_540.jpg

sooo, i was wondering, do you believe in the so called, "mother of luck" ?, or do you believe, that if someone is able to do something better, its not luck but his "#skill" ?, or that it was just a pure-one-time-coincidence thing ?

(e.g. being good in a game, when its his first time playing ?, do you think its just his luck playing, or its that his secretly got more skill than someone who has played longer ?, or he just coincidentally did good at that one moment of his gameplay, and it probably wont happened again ?!)

(another e.g. is, say "loot box" or "gacha games", do you think its just, really pure luck on item's you get in them ?, or that its that, theres some sort of "formula/computation" on what you get, and how you can "get one of the items for sure/100%" ?

(e.g. on my last bolded sentence, im gonna put Fire emblem heroes as an example;  rolling on the 20th day of the banner you want, and rolling atleast 10x, will guarantee you getting

<character you're after>) ? (Overwatch example: opening a lootbox at exactly 3am will get you a super rare skin of <character you want skin of>) ?

as for me, i believe in luck, in gacha games, but i prefer having allot of rolls on the gacha game's, rather than leaving it all on lady luck's hands, i feel having quantity of rolls (say, having ability to roll 20x), gets me better odds on the <character i want>, rather than leaving it on lady luck, and rolling with <10x rolls>, couse after all, more rolls, means more try's on hitting that 3% of getting a character i want,

as for game's, i feel if someone who played it first time does something amazing, its pure coincidental, and or pure luck on his side, unless he can do that amazing thing twice, i would probably go "nice luck kid', to bad you're luck cant go on forever" and probably go wtf at how he's probably better at me at the game, even though his a pure beginner

but what about you ?!, how do you feel about "luck, skill, and or pure coincidence" ?, and or, what are you're thoughts of the three ?, lets have a "disco-tion"~

I cannot say that pure skill exists, because luck does have some play, as things do not always go the way you think they do.

However, pure luck cannot exist either, because you need to have some skill and a knack for figuring things out quickly.

Pure coincidence though is something that I can see existing, because of the many unknown factors out there.

• Like 1

In games, there is generally random number generation to simulate luck. They're basically formulas that output a random number to dictate the outcome of an event. While they cannot perfectly imitate real life chance due to the nature of formulas and stored numbers, they're a damn good approximation, and are pretty much unpredictable within their finite set of results. Some of the much older and simpler ones have been figured out, and people have worked out how to abuse them. For example in Gen I Pokemon, you can manipulate the RNG by resetting and pressing specific buttons in the correct orders to guarantee an extra strong starter Pokemon (each individual Pokemon has hidden statistics that make it stronger or weaker, so it's possible to get a Squirtle that can 2-shot Brock's Onyx at level 9, Or a Squirtle that has to 3-shot it). Speedruns of Final Fantasy VI all start with the player resetting their system 13(?) times to guarantee a low number of random encounters. In video games with RNG, luck does not exist, but a close approximation of it does.

Outside of games, we consider luck to be a part of it, but you can optimise your luck with skill. Consider a basketball game with a person who's never played before. If they have no idea how basketball is played, and just joined in for the fun of it, then they might try to shoot a basket from their chest, or by lobbing it underarm. If they've watched a few games on TV though, they'll know to shoot with a push-throw, and balance the ball with their other hand. Just knowing that is a skill, and they are far more likely to score.

Coincidence is definitely a thing though. That's stuff like finding a dropped coin, or winning a scratch card. That's not luck, because it was a predetermined outcome, someone was guaranteed to find the coin or win the scratch card. The person in question was just coincidentally the one who did.

So yeah, skill is more important than coincidence (due to the number of applicable situations), and coincidence is more important than luck (due to luck being impossible to isolate).

• Like 1

Skill, and luck are often compared, and contrasted though in my mind they really shouldn't be. Both luck as well as skill have their place in a lot of varying situations. Skill is the measure of how practiced someone is at a particular task not that they know how to began with. Luck on the other hand is the likelihood of something happening against high odds. For example I am skilled at many areas of computers only because I have practiced these skills I did not just get lucky enough to know them. As far as luck goes if I go online, and play a match of League of Legends for example, and win. This did come down to a bit of my own skill with the game yes though it also was calculated based on the poor performance of the enemy team. Therefore in that case I was lucky because I won. The short answer to this is skill is something practiced, and homed wheres luck is largely about factors outside your control working in your favor.