NEED help with laws and culture

HakuUzumaki

I need help with the laws of my own countries. Here are the questions I'm having trouble with :

• What defines criminal behavior & how criminals are charged and punished?
  • Whether the culture's predominant religion considers certain actions to be sinful?
  • How sinners are treated by religious leaders and society alike?
  • How gender roles are defined?
  • What values the culture holds dear?
  • What behaviors are generally considered to be improper or immoral?

Countries :

• Country that rules by Education.
  • Country that rules by the farmers and hunters.
  • Country that rules by a religion similar to Christianity.
  • Country that rules by the military.
  • Country that rules by the Celebrities.
  • Country that rules by the Sports.
  • Country that rules by the Evil Businessmen.
  • Country that rules by the Evil Government. 

Which countries should have one of these kinship systems:

• Crow kinship system
  • Hawai’ian kinship system
  • Inuit kinship system
  • Iroquois kinship system
  • Omaha kinship system
  • Sudanese kinship system
Edited by HakuUzumaki

There's quite a lot of questions so it would take a long time to answer them all. I wouldn't mind giving you my two cents on each of these questions, but how about going at it one question at a time? You pick one and say what you think, and others respond. When you think there's enough there, do the same with the next question.

Generally, for the first set of questions, I think you can just look at many different real/existing countries and see what their position towards those questions are.
For example, if you look at the question "What behaviors are generally considered to be improper or immoral?" you can see that many countries/cultures consider behavior that causes harm without any sensible purpose (such as randomly killing others) improper.

For your second set of questions (the countries ruled by different kinds of people), I think you can take what you know from the first set of questions and try and apply it specifically to each case. For example, above I said that people usually hold behavior that causes harm without any sensible purpose as improper. A country run by farmers and hunters might see it as not sensible to deplete all natural resources because in the long run you'd run out of them. Thus, they might be strict on laws of how much of which species you can hunt so that the species doesn't go extinct.

As for the kinship system, I think that's quite complex. There are many different reasons why these systems developed the way they did and each case seems to be very specific to their environment or culture.
I remember that one of my anthropology professors once told us about a culture where if the mother dies the kids get to stay with their uncles (and not with their father what you might expect). Turns out, it was quite common in that culture for a woman to have many husbands and because they couldn't know which of them is their real father, they would go the mother's brother (who you know is related to them because they came out of the same womb which you can clearly see). So they had quite specific terms and distinctions for all sorts of uncles and fathers. As to why exactly it developed that way, is again a different complex question.

Really interesting stuff, but quite complicated :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nono said:

Um, what? I'm not sure what you're asking. What are "my countries"?

I was trying to asked which law goes to which country that makes sense.

3 hours ago, Illusion of Terra said:

There's quite a lot of questions so it would take a long time to answer them all. I wouldn't mind giving you my two cents on each of these questions, but how about going at it one question at a time? You pick one and say what you think, and others respond. When you think there's enough there, do the same with the next question.

Generally, for the first set of questions, I think you can just look at many different real/existing countries and see what their position towards those questions are.
 For example, if you look at the question "What behaviors are generally considered to be improper or immoral?" you can see that many countries/cultures consider behavior that causes harm without any sensible purpose (such as randomly killing others) improper.

For your second set of questions (the countries ruled by different kinds of people), I think you can take what you know from the first set of questions and try and apply it specifically to each case. For example, above I said that people usually hold behavior that causes harm without any sensible purpose as improper. A country run by farmers and hunters might see it as not sensible to deplete all natural resources because in the long run you'd run out of them. Thus, they might be strict on laws of how much of which species you can hunt so that the species doesn't go extinct.

As for the kinship system, I think that's quite complex. There are many different reasons why these systems developed the way they did and each case seems to be very specific to their environment or culture.
I remember that one of my anthropology professors once told us about a culture where if the mother dies the kids get to stay with their uncles (and not with their father what you might expect). Turns out, it was quite common in that culture for a woman to have many husbands and because they couldn't know which of them is their real father, they would go the mother's brother (who you know is related to them because they came out of the same womb which you can clearly see). So they had quite specific terms and distinctions for all sorts of uncles and fathers. As to why exactly it developed that way, is again a different complex question.

Really interesting stuff, but quite complicated :) 

Thanks.

----------

Lets start with this Country that rules by the Education.

What defines criminal behavior & how criminals are charged and punished?

The criminal behaviors: Bullying, Chewing gum, killing, playing favorites with students, and Cheating.

Whether the culture's predominant religion considers certain actions to be sinful?

There are no official religion.  The schools teaches all the religions both the bad and good of the religion. The students decides not the parents.

How sinners are treated by religious leaders and society alike?

(This one I don't know. )

How gender roles are defined?

Traditional but females get the land.

What values the culture holds dear?

Knowledge

What behaviors are generally considered to be improper or immoral?

Improper: Wearing underwear outside your pants.

Immoral: killing babies, Bullying, Cheating

---------------------

Pleases added your own two cents in.

Edited by HakuUzumaki

Okay, let's look at the Land of Education.

Generally, I think you can approach this whole thing in two ways. Either you look at it from a fictional perspective, i.e. let's assume that the land of Education is purely interested in education and almost nothing else (I think this approach is more interesting if you want to design a game etc). Or you look at it from a more realistic perspective, i.e. let's assume that one of the countries we have nowadays would be ruled by politicians who are all educators (this approach is probably more interesting if you are trying to understand human cultures and politics as they really are). I think the answers to your questions will be different depending on which perspective you take. So I will call these perspectives A (the fictional one) and B (the more realistic one).

Spoiler

A) I think you have already mentioned some important examples. Generally, I think since there main aim would be education, criminal behavior would be defined by anything that goes against education. Cheating and bullying for example would be thought to be criminal because they hinder education. So, to help answer this question you might ask 'What would stand in the way of education?'. I think people burning books or destroying online educational courses would be criminals then, even if they own the books, unless those books would be against education in a way. The most serious crimes would be those that take away one's ability to educate or be educated, for example someone who kills an educator. Also, someone who spreads false information would be severely punished. And I think here you get an interesting question. Is everything you can learn education or not? I think in such a country there would be huge debates about traditionalists and modernists arguing about what actually counts as education and what not.
Punishment would be different depending on what system of punishment they have. But if there main aim is education, punishment would probably look in a way as to educate criminals. Probably similar to sitting in jail, but more like forced educational camps.
B) I think if a currently existing country would focus more on education, you would see something like a lot of money put into schools and universities, and very high teacher's salaries. But, I don't think what criminal behavior is would change too much. What might change is how prisons work. Maybe not forced educational camps but something like courses which prisoners have to take to reintegrate the into society.

Whether the culture's predominant religion considers certain actions to be sinful?
This one's tricky.

Spoiler

A) If education is the most important thing, they might establish a religion build on education? They might imagine a God but stress his omniscient and strive to know as much as possible. So the state 'religion' could be one where the more you are educated, the more respected you are by the religious community. Sinful acts would then be those that are against education, similar to criminal acts. However, the punishment might be said to be in the afterlife. I imagine their temples/churches would be full of educational material.
B) I think an actual state nowadays could be either one with an official religion or one without it. If they are without any official religion, I think like you said schools would still teach about religion because it is an important part of human societies and other countries. If the country would have an official religion, it would probably have to be an open-minded interpretation of it, i.e. not pretend that there are no other religions (this seems to be counter-educational). So it might in the end be not too different from one without an official religion.

Spoiler

A) If someone is against the state religion of education, they might be cast away from the religious community to teach them. Jehova's witnesses do something similar in real life. This could have two effects. The sinners might be forced to think about their sinful acts and educate themselves, and the sinners would be kept from others in order not to corrupt them. Religious leaders might fear that a sinner, i.e. someone who commits acts against education (such as burning books), might be hinder the education of others in his religious community and therefore tell him not to come to the temple anymore. Society would probably see the sinners as crazy people who are against education and therefore don't know anything and might tell their children to keep away from them, or even refuse to make business with them.
B) There might be public debates about what to do with school dropouts, i.e. students who don't want to be educated. There already are those but I think they would be more important. Also, maybe there would be something like a test you have to pass in order to vote. If you are a sinner (i.e. someone who goes against education) you might be judged not to be fit to vote and influence all of society, and you might also be hindered from public offices such as being a politician.

Interesting question but difficult to answer. I guess both A and B would determine gender roles by their current state of knowledge about them. If they think that men or women are better at teaching they would stress this?

Spoiler

A) Education above all else of course. Books, scientists and teachers would be among the most important cultural things. Sports might be much less important. Instead of stadiums for football you might have huge learning centers which teach you all different kinds of skills. Spelling bees would replace baseball games etc. Discoveries by researchers would be presented like breaking news.
B) I think in school subjects would be more diverse and athletics probably less important (although not sure on this). Universities, museums and schools would be funded a lot more, and probably research discoveries would be more readily available for free, so that everyone can educate themselves.

Spoiler

A) I think this would be similar to criminal behavior but not as strong. Someone who spends too much time on things like playing games would be seen as kind of a rebel but not punished I think.
B) Well, I think you can look for this at societies which value education quite high. School dropouts and people with 'simple' jobs are often seen as less intelligent, while scientists and people with fancy degrees are often admired, supposedly because they are educated better. Not wanting to educate yourself might be seen as immoral then.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

@Illusion of Terra Thanks for you help.

Let's go with a country that rules by Farmers and Hunters.

Cheating, Poaching, littering, Pollution the water, Gold diggers, 

Amish life style they could married more than one husband or wife.  

I'm not sure here.

Traditional  with some tweaks. 

Family and hard work.

Divorce,  Gold diggers

Edited by HakuUzumaki

This country is rule by a Christianity style faith base religion.

Similar to the USA.

Christianity style faith.

Sinners are treated like human beings. 

Traditional 

The Book.

Everything that goes against the book.

-------------------------------------

This one I come up with on my own: 

Any one that's in the public eye like singers, Athletes, World Leaders past and present , and celebrities their names have to be in ever video game that has a creation mode.  All the fictional hometowns has to be in the game that has a creation mode. 

Edited by HakuUzumaki

Country that rules by Military.

AWOL, Fraud, 

Teamwork & Family

doesn't have one.

shared roled.

Military and teamwork

AWOL, Fraud, 

A Country rules by celebrities.

Christians

Guns

Hunting and Fishing.

Their selves.

Who doesn't have any awards. Would be spilt on.

A Mixture of cultures.

Who has been in the most movie, Shows and Music videos.

Being kind and being a gentlemen.

--------------------------------------

Country rules by Athletes. 

Being a nerd and being weak.

Teamwork and themselves.

Being bullying.

Traditional 

Teamwork

People who doesn't believe in Teamwork.

Edited by HakuUzumaki