Surprise anime

Yuuki_Radosian

Ever started a new anime that there was almost no talk of or that you have never heard of and it just turned out to be amazing ?

For myself I started Dungeon ni last season expecting it to be a cute series that I could watch as an aside , my idea was quickly destroyed by the fact that the series turned out to be so good I am definitely looking for gems such as this much harder now and I think my surprise anime of this season is (so far) Gakkou Gurashi , it has been surprisingly heavy and a lot better than I was expecting.

What are your surprise anime , and how did you find them?

Well these are quite old now, but Kino's Journey. It's also the anime that my avatar is from. Found it completely accidentally when I first got into anime. I was just searching for a certain song on youtube and an AMV with Kino's Journey showed up so I checked it out and decided to watch it. It's been one of my favourite anime for quite a while now. It's a really clever series that gets you thinking, but it's really obscure. I probably wouldn't have ever watched it if I hadn't stumbled on it by accident. I eventually got into the Light Novels too and I got completely addicted.

Also Aria the Animation. I think I was browsing the MAL forums or something and someone mentioned it so I checked it. Had no idea what it really was at first but I ended up loving it. Seriously the most relaxing anime I've ever watched. The ending was amazing too, it's up there as one of the most emotional endings I've ever watched

My entire watched list is full of anime Drill recomended to me... so it's a bit hard for me.

The closest I can come up with is Fate/Zero, which lacks a lot of attention due to Fate/Stay Night 2006 being a mediocre VN adaption, so that's a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Gosick is a real gem. It was included in a ton of anime a friend of mine gave me and I showed the list to drill asking for recommendations from it and he told me Gosick was on his to-watch list so I'm currently watching it and I absolutely adore it.

Well, I finally remembered the others that were quite a surprise.

Rakuen Tsuihou: Expelled From Paradise - I was expecting a simple generic mecha anime, but it turned out that the characters were really well done, and they fit the story well into just a 2 hour movie

Mushishi - "Don't judge an anime by its cover" Really, they have a terrible cover for this fantastic anime. Something like Mushishi Zoku Shou has a much better cover.

Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica Crimson S - The first season of this, which was a sequel, had absolutely awful animation. This fixed all the animation aspects of it while making a nice backstory to all of the major characters. I really wish they would redo the first season though.

Gosick - This anime sat on my plan to watch for probably over a year. Once I got around to watching it, the characters were so good, I couldn't help but regret that I didn't watch it sooner.

Well, I finally remembered the others that were quite a surprise.

Rakuen Tsuihou: Expelled From Paradise - I was expecting a simple generic mecha anime, but it turned out that the characters were really well done, and they fit the story well into just a 2 hour movie

Mushishi - "Don't judge an anime by its cover" Really, they have a terrible cover for this fantastic anime. Something like Mushishi Zoku Shou has a much better cover.

Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica Crimson S - The first season of this, which was a sequel, had absolutely awful animation. This fixed all the animation aspects of it while making a nice backstory to all of the major characters. I really wish they would redo the first season though.

Gosick - This anime sat on my plan to watch for probably over a year. Once I got around to watching it, the characters were so good, I couldn't help but regret that I didn't watch it sooner.

I almost forgot about MushiShi That was a good now too xD

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka is fantastic. It's so adorable <3 SoL is quickly becoming my second favorite Genre. I'm expecting more greatness from Season 2 when it airs starting this October <3

• Geano locked this topic