Is the Evangelion series really that good?

Emotionless Lover

It's a good series up until the last two episodes. Which they completely botched,  I've never quite made up my mind if this was due to running out of money, running out of time or just not knowing how to end the story, or perhaps it was a combination of all of them.

Definitely not a series I plan on watching again.

Well personal opinion here, Evangelion belongs to a special category of anime the deconstruction. Other deconstructionist anime include Madoka Magica and Hunter x Hunter (a manga first). Deconstruction's work best with prior knowledge of the source material weather primary or secondary. As a result, the best experience from the show would be to have a least a good understanding of Mecha. However when I first watched it I found the show overall. Eva also has some Auteur moments from the director, Anno Hideaki, such as long drawn out elevator scenes and a part of himself interwoven into each many character. 

Also if you watch Eva I'd recommend watch the original series, and the End of Evangelion film. I've recently watched the first three rebuild films and found them lacking.

• 2 weeks later...

Evangelion is one of the true anime that got me hooked. Deeper than you think...it got the shaft when the studio didn't have enough money for the director's planned ending. I've watched it a few times and find new things to ponder over every time.

• Like 1

I'd go with Animedragon and MediaConsumesMe's opinions. It's definitely a must watch anime but is a bit 'interpretive' at the end.  The mech aspect is not really the central focus of the series, rather a mechanism to explore the authors deeper issues with humanity.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Trifoilon said:

I'd go with Animedragon and MediaConsumesMe's opinions. It's definitely a must watch anime but is a bit 'interpretive' at the end.  The mech aspect is not really the central focus of the series, rather a mechanism to explore the authors deeper issues with humanity.

"interpretive" is a very good way of describing the final couple of episodes. 🙂

• Like 2