Old Technology

Ryuji

1) What's the oldest piece of technology that you've ever used?

For myself, that would be the typewriter. I was really excited when I was shown how to use it a few days ago! It was like I had traveled to the past!

2) What's an old technology that you would like to learn to use?

For myself, that would be the slide rule for math. I've heard that people back then hated using the slide rule but as a math lover, I'm fascinated by it and the fact that I can't figure out how it works.

Do you mean recently or life in general? If life in general then probably the typewriter. I grew up learning how to type on one. In middle school, we had electric typewriters for keyboarding class. At home, my family had a normal typewriter (we had a computer too, but we didn't use it much...no Internet back then). It belonged to my grandfather, apparently and boy was it heavy. It was one of those murder weapon type typewriters. lol Heavy and metal.

I definitely do not miss doing typing tests on a typewriter. I always liked the sound, though, but doing timings....ugh! I hated when you made a mistake, then you had to get correction tape, realign the paper, and start typing again. I also used to hate when I typed too fast and the keys would jam. I also hated, when doing the timings, having to figure out your score using FICA or PICA or whatever it was called. I can't recall it right off.

I will say this, though. I think by learning on a typewriter, it made typists more aware of their mistakes and people were more accurate. We have computers with spellcheck and it's easy to correct your mistakes while typing. Even with the electronic typewriters, if you had correction fluid in the machine, you could backspace to correct an error (in my case, they usually didn't, so we had to do it manually with correction tape or white out). It's funny how we take that for granted, you know?

Well, about 12 or 13 years ago, when I was a business school student, in one of the rooms, the school had an old mimeograph machine. I'd never experienced using one and had only heard of them. This was used before copiers were a thing. My parents grew up with these. My mother said that something that was mimeographed had a certain smell to it. She liked that smell. As strange as it may sound, I'd like to mimeograph something just to experience it.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

hmm we all have , still do , and I bet generations to come will be using it in the future used it

the oldest I'm talking about and the oldest tec I think ive used is none other than

The lead pencil

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/inventors/page/p/pencil.shtml

The "lead" pencil (which contains no lead) was invented in 1564 when a huge graphite (black carbon) mine was discovered in Borrowdale, Cumbria, England. The pure graphite was sawn into sheets and then cut into square rods. The graphite rods were inserted into hand-carved wooden holders, forming pencils.

Good question :)

2) ^^^^ same answer