Scheduled downtime for Articles and Reviews revamp

Optic

Hello everyone,

In preparation for the upcoming Fall 2016 anime season, Anime Forums will be closed for up to 48 hours whilst the Articles and Reviews (Landing Pages) sections are revamped.

This is necessary because a new system is being used for these sections and this requires the forum to be moved into a new location.

I have set time aside on Wednesday morning (21 Sep) at 9 AM (my time zone in Perth, WA) to go ahead with this.

In PDT time:

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 9 PM

Anime Forums will be closed and unavailable for up to 48 hours whilst these changes are implemented!

Wait! I thought we got rid of the landing pages in favour of having separate anime discussion forums!

Yes that's right....

https://animeforums.net/threads/scheduled-downtime-for-revamp.2132/

And that was partially implemented - partially because the old user reviews didn't make it across, so the old landing pages were re-opened temporarily.

However this brought up several glaring issues:

• The database we were using for episode summaries and screenshots (TheMovieDB) had gaps and wasn't being updated fast enough for Currently Airing Titles. This resulted in ugly threads. There were times I had to manually update TMDB with screenshots, which is understandable given these titles were brand new from Japan and it being a community database.

• It made the forums harder to use to find specific anime titles and browsing them were a pain.

To address the above:

• Landing Pages will be coming back with a facelift, and Reviews that everyone submitted will be migrated across to the new landing pages.

• Anime discussion forums will stay as this is still needed to allow more wider anime title discussions. Episode Discussion threads and anime discussion forums will be simplified, no more metadata in order to remove the dependency from this database. Sliders will be removed too in favour of moving them to the new anime landing pages.

• A new homepage will help make Anime Forums MUCH easier to use by featuring titles from both the current airing season and previous season. Within the landing pages, links to the title's discussion forum threads, reviews and articles written by the community that are relevant to that title will be featured.

OK, and the Articles?

Articles will be getting a robust face-lift too. Recently submitted articles will be featured on the new homepage and will look better in a blog style format.

New article submissions from this point forward however will need to be processed separately, outside the forums. More details to come on this.

If you have any feedback, questions or suggestions - as usual please feel free to let me know below or letting me know!

girls-und-panzer-pathway.thumb.jpg.838356a5b30787dd1a3214f6581e3717.jpg

• Like 1

Ooo, a nice little Girls und Panzer pic ^^

Looks like "Reviews" is the best solution for the Anime Listing that AF once had and it works very well. I might make some reviews and articles in the future once I've got my mind set to do so since I've been really wanting to contribute on AF for a long time x)

I've collected lots of ideas, but well, I just don't know how to end it properly.

Anyways, I think the changes have been implemented as of Friday? Because the landing pages look great! Although, some of the new Fall 2016 Titles are not directing to their designated forums. I guess it's because this just got implemented and it needs more technical tweaking.

Other than that, great job, Optic!

• Like 1

Thanks all. :)

I might make some reviews and articles in the future once I've got my mind set to do so since I've been really wanting to contribute on AF for a long time x)

Would love to see what you come up with when you're ready. :angel:

Anyways, I think the changes have been implemented as of Friday? Because the landing pages look great! Although, some of the new Fall 2016 Titles are not directing to their designated forums. I guess it's because this just got implemented and it needs more technical tweaking.

Thank you @Stoodell ! Glad to see you like them. Yes, I'm still cleaning up the forum titles (my fault) and linking them correctly, once that is sorted I will make another announcement with more details.

• Like 1

Thank you @Stoodell ! Glad to see you like them. Yes, I'm still cleaning up the forum titles (my fault) and linking them correctly, once that is sorted I will make another announcement with more details.

You're welcome.~ Good luck on such tedious task!

And for some reason, I currently don't have permissions to create articles or like I don't see the "create article" button. Or maybe there's a new place for creating new articles?

@Stoodell

From the Home Page, click Articles and then click the blue "Submit an Article" button and scroll down to the bottom.

Please note that clicking the Articles from the forums page will not bring up the correct page at this time.

It'll look like this:

upload_2016-9-24_14-57-19.thumb.png.86d70024ae0412752cd8dd6004c7bfed.png

and the form itself:

upload_2016-9-24_15-2-19.thumb.png.a6fa4499940ca35766c0f9f4319d2289.png

Edited by Guest
  • Informative 1