New built pc Help

Greeneyes

I need someone who knows how to fix a pc THIS IS MY PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME when I boot my pc with a new hdd it goes to a black screen with a text "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key" well I hooked up an optical drive and put in an old windows 8.1 disc download hoping something would happend and i ended up on downloading it so i got a product key because that what the window asked for to download and it said "we couldn't verify the product key. please check your installation media" I unplugged Ethernet and tried nothing Im pisst I just want it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Yamasan said:

If you just added a new storage device then you just needed to select your main storage (where windows is stored) in the BIOS.

Well I never got to BIOS it goes straight to this: 

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key"

I'm at work ATM but think I can talk you thru this

Now first some questionsis this fix a PC that you added a new HDD to and if so did you remove one ?

Or is this the new PC you were going to build and the first time starting it ?

The win  version you have is it an OEM version with auto run disc or do you need a start up disc to run it

You may also need to format the new HDD for the PC to recognise it

Just now, Wodahs said:

I'm at work ATM but think I can talk you thru this

Now first some questionsis this fix a PC that you added a new HDD to and if so did you remove one ?

Or is this the new PC you were going to build and the first time starting it ?

The win  version you have is it an OEM version with auto run disc or do you need a start up disc to run it

You may also need to format the new HDD for the PC to recognise it

This is a new pc first boot, idk on the second part I just put a windows download disc i had in the optical drive...

2 hours ago, Greeneyes said:

This is a new pc first boot, idk on the second part I just put a windows download disc i had in the optical drive...

Do you have the key/code for that disc ?

Did it get to the screen to put the key in ?

If it's an unused copy/key/code it's a start

You shouldn't be able to get net to get verification till the drivers are installed and you probably won't have them yet (definitely it it's a new setup with a new HDD)

The HDD will need formatting if totally new but this will be part of the windows load setup where it will ask you where you want to save windows and what's availablethere should be a part when after putting they key in to ask the system to verify latter as well

PS I'm still at work but still think we can get this

This sounds like someone just bought a new PC without OS.

Without any OS it will never boot unless you insert your OS installation media.

Many modern OS installation disc/media will proceed on uninitialized/unformatted HDD then it will prompt you to do during setup.

On 12/01/2018 at 7:33 PM, PenguinO said:

This sounds like someone just bought a new PC without OS.

Without any OS it will never boot unless you insert your OS installation media.

Many modern OS installation disc/media will proceed on uninitialized/unformatted HDD then it will prompt you to do during setup.

I think you'll find GreenEyes built it , may be their first of build but I'm sure there was a thread about the parts they were going to use

But yes you do need the correct OS disc for a new build others are usually up date discs of sorts and inappropriate for a new system (and usually a little cheaper to acquire)

Yeah, you'll need your OS installation CD (or thumb drive).

It's pretty easy to make one for anything 8 or above. Windows 10 provides a free image of the OS to burn onto a CD/DVD or USB drive, but you still will need a license key.

Newegg sells an OEM version of Windows 10 (which you'll need to get for the key) for $110, but there's also the Microsoft Software Swap subreddit, though the keys they sell there are usually from volume licensing that Microsoft may cancel out at any time.

Hope I could help.

Edited by Lily Espada