How many con-goers do we have here?

Sonic Whammy

Hey gang.

In my short time here, I haven't really run across anyone yet that's openly discussed attending anime conventions and things like that. So I was wondering if anyone here does.

Part of the reason that I ask is because my team just did a podcast last night with some friends reporting on how last weekend's Katsucon convention in the DC area went, and wanted to get more feedback from others that went because we like to hear people's stories.

So, who we got out here?

Sorry, not much into cons myself.  (I used to be interested in SF cons, but then the science got buried in fantasy like superheros and stormtroopers.)  I do like anime, but typically not the "mainstream" stuff like Pokemon, Naruto, Inuyasha, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc., which is what the cons I've seen seem to be mostly about.  Maybe cons are just too commercial for my tastes?  Anyway, I follow cons because they're a good focus for news and announcements, but I'm not really into attending.

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

Sorry, not much into cons myself.  (I used to be interested in SF cons, but then the science got buried in fantasy like superheros and stormtroopers.)  I do like anime, but typically not the "mainstream" stuff like Pokemon, Naruto, Inuyasha, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc., which is what the cons I've seen seem to be mostly about.  Maybe cons are just too commercial for my tastes?  Anyway, I follow cons because they're a good focus for news and announcements, but I'm not really into attending.

I actually love cons. I've attended both anime cons and sci-fi cons, started with anime cons.

The main anime Con I go to has a large variety of panels to attend. There's always a few Gundam panels, usually a few Sci fi panels too (like walking dead or game of thrones...let's face it, most anime fans have multiple interests), a few video game panels, and tons of varied panels.  I've gone to panels concerning the history of anime, genre specific (reverse harem centric for example), Lolita fashion, industry panels, voice actor panels, and so forth. Honestly there are so many panels that occur simultaneously that the night before the fun starts I'm usually sitting down with the schedule and a highlighter planning my con days and looking at the convention center map (with dealer room/artist gallery time included).  Maybe you need to try a different con? I never go to any Pokémon or Naruto panels...never had nothing else to do either. I have gone to panels hosted by someone who works with the Pokémon Company though (it was a guest speaker panel). He prefaced nearly every statement to the questions with "this is my personal view and in no way represents the views and opinions of the Pokémon Company and its affiliates" lol....that was a good panel. 

Anyways, I won't say which anime Con I frequent  (let's face it, most people will attend the closest con, makes it easy to pinpoint posters if you broadcast it) but I will say that when I went to Wizard World Con just about half the people there stated they frequented the same anime Con as me (shocked the planners as they hadn't heard about it).

Cosplay is huge at my favorite anime con but I've never done it. Anyways, I love it. My husband had no interest in cons before the anime Con I dragged him to. He's looked forward to it every year since (and he doesn't watch anime - I try to split the panel topics with his interests so he doesn't feel lost but I think he just loves listening to the voice actors and seeing the awesome cosplays). Since then, he's been suggesting sci-fi cons to attend and we've become a con-couple! Got lots of pictures and autographs from voice actors and actors (including Will Shatner and David Tennant). Great memories :) I'll never forget how I got all star struck by Shatner lol...he asked me how to say my name ^_^

Anyways, people probably avoid talking about it because of the geographic proximity to their home. I know that I prefer to have some privacy online in that regard.

Edited by Beocat
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Beocat said:

usually a few Sci fi panels too (like walking dead or game of thrones...

Yeah, see, that's my problem with "science fiction" these days.  It is basically a dumping ground for anything not-real that has some sort of technology somewhere in it.  Both of those shows are complete fantasy AFAIC.  Nothing wrong with them per-sé, but they're NOT science fiction.  To me science fiction has to have the science as a fundamental, driving element of the plot.  Science fiction is (was?) about exploring what is actually possible in the real universe.  Good science fiction was stories about men on the moon, written before Sputnik, or atomic weapons before WWII, or genetic engineering pre-CRISPR.  Anything not possible in the real universe is by definition fantasy, not science fiction.  Even if it has ray guns and rockets.  And no, calling mana "midichlorians" or magic "psionics" doesn't do it either. >:(

Sorry for the mini-rant.  For people like me who really like "hard" science fiction having to wade through all the pop-syfy and misclassified fantasy to find the occasional gem is .. well, "frustrating" is an understatement.  (Nothing personal, you just pushed one of my buttons.  :))

8 hours ago, Beocat said:

Anyways, I won't say which anime Con I frequent  (let's face it, most people will attend the closest con, makes it easy to pinpoint posters if you broadcast it) but I will say that when I went to Wizard World Con just about half the people there stated they frequented the same anime Con as me (shocked the planners as they hadn't heard about it).

Anyways, people probably avoid talking about it because of the geographic proximity to their home. I know that I prefer to have some privacy online in that regard.

Oh, is that the secret. But why is that? I'm not afraid at all to admit that I'm a Jersey guy and (from the video I've started to post in Creative Corner and hope to again soon), my team hits the all the local cons with our game shows, including the big ones like Castle Point, Liberty City and the new Anime NYC.

But aside from that, didn't we all here say where we're from when we first introduced ourselves at this forum?

And BTW, Beocat, for all that you do, I wish you would be at my cons. You'd probably kill at the trivia games we do and take home all my prizes.

6 hours ago, efaardvark said:

>:(

Sorry for the mini-rant.  For people like me who really like "hard" science fiction having to wade through all the pop-syfy and misclassified fantasy to find the occasional gem is .. well, "frustrating" is an understatement.  (Nothing personal, you just pushed one of my buttons.  :))

Lol, I think I've done that before. Still "casual scifi" is better than none at all to me. Though I definitely agree, Game of Thrones is pure fantasy, these days I merge fantasy and scifi together. The local bookstore does it too which doesn't help delineate it at all :P

40 minutes ago, Sonic Whammy said:

aside from that, didn't we all here say where we're from when we first introduced ourselves at this forum?

And BTW, Beocat, for all that you do, I wish you would be at my cons. You'd probably kill at the trivia games we do and take home all my prizes.

Nope, did not. One of my personal rules. Maybe said my country but that's as far as I would go.

And as for trivia, only won a prize once for that. At a reverse harem panel where they held trivia at the end and I actually recognized La Storia de la Arcana Famiglia....a random picture from a random angle. My friend won something there too. We're a pretty good team.  I unfortunately have trouble remembering names so unless the trivia is asking for the name of an anime (and not a character or country or voice actor), I'm pretty much lost.

I never have participated in a con, but I've been thinking about attending my first. It seems fun, and I would like to be surrounded by people who share my interest without being negatively judged. I live in California, do you know of any upcoming events?

2 hours ago, seemore_bhutts said:

I live in California, do you know of any upcoming events?

Not from this side of the country off the top of my head, I don't, except for the big one, Anime Expo, which is 4th of July weekend in LA. Let me see...

According to animecons.com, here's ones in the Golden State that it knows of for this year:

Ani-Me Con (St. Patrick's weekend in Fresno), Placer Fan Fest (April 20-22 in Auburn), InterNexus (April 21 in Fremont), ASAHi Con (April 28 in Antioch), Fanime Con (May 25-28 in San Jose), Ronin Expo (June 2 in LA), Animanga Expo (August 3-5 in Pomona), SacAnime (Labor Day weekend in Sacramento), Crunchyroll Expo (also Labor Day weekend in San Jose), Super Dimension Convention (September 15 in Torrance), Kraken Con (September 28-30 in Oakland), CharaExpo USA (November 10-11 in Anaheim).

So, lot of choices for you big and small. Hopefully a couple are real close to you.

9 hours ago, Beocat said:

Lunless the trivia is asking for the name of an anime (and not a character or country or voice actor), I'm pretty much lost.

Well, let's find out, shall we? I'll bet you know more than you think.

Here's a couple episodes of the pure trivia games that we run. Take a crack at them and let me know how you do.

The Challengers: Episode from April 2017 and The "Covfefe" episode from May 2017

Strikeout: Our premiere episode from March 2017

Edited by Sonic Whammy

3 hours ago, Sonic Whammy said:

Well, let's find out, shall we? I'll bet you know more than you think.

Here's a couple episodes of the pure trivia games that we run. Take a crack at them and let me know how you do.

The Challengers: Episode from April 2017 and The "Covfefe" episode from May 2017

Strikeout: Our premiere episode from March 2017

Haha....watched the April 2017 episode and it was pretty good.  Had me laughing for sure.  Reminded me of some of the panels I've attended in the past.  That being said, I did pretty badly.  They picked some categories I wouldn't have...and there were lots of Naruto/One Piece/Pokémon questions that I never had a chance in answering.  I avoid anime that drag on into infinity (like One Piece....)....anyways, I loved it.  I might watch some more tomorrow.  Too late to keep going tonight.

• Like 1

I used to be really into cosplay videos (and maybe i still am, to an extent), but I've never actually went to a convention. 

There's a Swedish anime con that is taking place in the summer. It looks kinda fun, but I'm somewhat skeptic because it's kinda far away from me and I've never actually went to a hotel on my own like that. Either way, if i go on one of thease, I'll probably go with one of my internet friends. It'd be kinda cool to meet 'em in real life.

Do you guys have any suggestions for how to prepare yourself properly for a con? Not only with supplies and stuff but also mentally. 

2 hours ago, BlueNinjaNeko said:

Do you guys have any suggestions for how to prepare yourself properly for a con? Not only with supplies and stuff but also mentally. 

You know, I introduced my best friend to her first Anime Convention so I got your back! It's hard to prepare for your first con mentally so just try to be loose and flexible. Try out different things :)

1. Expect to be overwhelmed. Yes, everyone gets overwhelmed their first time. If it becomes too much, just take a break at your hotel room or go out to eat somewhere and relax. You can always go back later. Don't get wrapped up in having to see it all. If you take it easy you'll enjoy what you see instead of feeling hurried and fatigued.

2. Buy tickets early. Figure out parking the night before  (or stay at the hotel next to the convention). Go to preview night and pick up your admission passes (this will save you hours in line the next day, trust me). Get any cosplay props you plan to use inspected and whether you plan to go to an "adults only panel" or not, get your armband or stamp for it. 

3. Sit down the night before it starts (or preview night) and look at the schedule, convention center map, and decide what you really want to see. I usually have a full schedule planned from 9am to 7pm. Plan to take a break for lunch (I hope you have a huge breakfast too). Nothing is worse than scaring everyone around you when you pass out because your blood sugar got low (they will call a medic to check you out). Plan in at least 2 hours for the Artist Alley/Gallery and another 2 hours for the Dealers Room (those spots where none of the panels really speak to your soul are perfect for squeezing that in). Even if you aren't buying, it's awesome to see what people are selling. If you buy a lot, don't be afraid to leave and drop things off in your car.  Consider if you are autograph hunting that you may sit in line for over an hour and still not get the autograph. Try not to let that consume your entire con. Visit panels and contribute to discussions! If you are going with someone else,  get their input on what they'd like to see too. Oh, and plan 8 hours of sleep. >_> please do this. Some cons don't completely shut down at night but you need to sleep to enjoy the con. Plan it in your schedule! 

4. Bring a backpack to carry your stuff in.  The night before put in a notebook and pen (for jotting down anime you want to check out later or contact info if you make friends at the con), some fruit for snacking (apples, bananas, and oranges do pretty well - this is not lunch lol), a couple of drinks (everything is more expensive at the convention center), an extra battery for your phone or charger or charged battery bank, and some cash. When you arrive at the convention center you can put your map and schedule in there as well as anything else you grab upon entering. Put some over the counter medications (or if you have prescription strength) in your bag as well. Nothing is worse than going back to the hotel because you suddenly have a pounding headache, or your neck hurts, or even the convention food didn't sit right with you. Prepare for it to happen, especially if you get overwhelmed. As for cash, I generally bring half of my anime budget for the year with me. You can find rare gems from some vendors that will cost you dearly and amazing deals at others. Make sure you make a full round of the Dealers Room before you buy so you can prioritize your purchases and get the best deals.

5. Decide on the right hotel. One close to the convention may resolve parking and be convenient but will undoubtedly be more expensive.  One further away will require extra drive time to and from the convention and will come with parking issues, but will be cheaper. I stay at one 30 minutes away every time but we stay there everytime we are in that city so I don't mind it so much. Lots of people stay at the hotels connected to the convention center. 

6. If you can go with someone who has gone to a con before, that is ideal. Even if you get overwhelmed, they will pull you to the panels you decided on and you can recover while waiting for it to start. Without that, just try to have fun. Even if you planned to see a panel  it isn't the end of the world if you miss it. Sit back and enjoy the cosplay, take pictures (please respect the cosplayer and ask before getting shots of them. It's rare that they'd refuse but still polite to ask), and have fun. Watch a movie or preview in the theater if you need time off your feet. I remember that they previewed one of the SAO movies at the con I went to. I had an hour of nothing planned so I decided to check it out. While I really didn't like the movie, it gave me time off my feet that I really needed and time to text pictures to a friend.

7. Lastly, plan on eating out. I go to my favorite sushi restaurant at night when we go to my favorite con. The sushi options around my hometown are severely limited so I take what I can get lol. Experience the city you're in too :)

8. Miss a day if you want! I usually miss Sundays. I want to go to the Farmers Market while there and usually after noon rolls by I'm ready to buy some tomatoes to can LOL. That being said, there are usually feedback sessions on Sundays where you can tell the planners what you liked and didn't like about the con. I highly advise attending those sessions if you can. I've attended bad panels before and others that were so good they needed a bigger room. The planners will never know unless you tell them. 

18 hours ago, Beocat said:

Haha....watched the April 2017 episode and it was pretty good.  Had me laughing for sure.  Reminded me of some of the panels I've attended in the past.  That being said, I did pretty badly.  They picked some categories I wouldn't have...and there were lots of Naruto/One Piece/Pokémon questions that I never had a chance in answering.  I avoid anime that drag on into infinity (like One Piece....)....anyways, I loved it.  I might watch some more tomorrow.  Too late to keep going tonight.

Glad you enjoyed. The question material changes depending on the type of con we're at. You'll see some different stuff in the next one. And yes, we try to keep it amusing and pun-filled because I've learned from a friend of mine who's done these shows much longer than I have that trivia tends to be least audience-involving games to do, and thus the least exciting. We try, though.

10 hours ago, BlueNinjaNeko said:

Everything Beocat suggested is true. At the same time, my team did a podcast on Con Survival 101 last summer. I hope that it can offer a little something extra.

On 2018-02-26 at 4:49 PM, Beocat said:

You know, I introduced my best friend to her first Anime Convention so I got your back! It's hard to prepare for your first con mentally so just try to be loose and flexible. Try out different things :)

1. Expect to be overwhelmed. Yes, everyone gets overwhelmed their first time. If it becomes too much, just take a break at your hotel room or go out to eat somewhere and relax. You can always go back later. Don't get wrapped up in having to see it all. If you take it easy you'll enjoy what you see instead of feeling hurried and fatigued.

2. Buy tickets early. Figure out parking the night before  (or stay at the hotel next to the convention). Go to preview night and pick up your admission passes (this will save you hours in line the next day, trust me). Get any cosplay props you plan to use inspected and whether you plan to go to an "adults only panel" or not, get your armband or stamp for it. 

3. Sit down the night before it starts (or preview night) and look at the schedule, convention center map, and decide what you really want to see. I usually have a full schedule planned from 9am to 7pm. Plan to take a break for lunch (I hope you have a huge breakfast too). Nothing is worse than scaring everyone around you when you pass out because your blood sugar got low (they will call a medic to check you out). Plan in at least 2 hours for the Artist Alley/Gallery and another 2 hours for the Dealers Room (those spots where none of the panels really speak to your soul are perfect for squeezing that in). Even if you aren't buying, it's awesome to see what people are selling. If you buy a lot, don't be afraid to leave and drop things off in your car.  Consider if you are autograph hunting that you may sit in line for over an hour and still not get the autograph. Try not to let that consume your entire con. Visit panels and contribute to discussions! If you are going with someone else,  get their input on what they'd like to see too. Oh, and plan 8 hours of sleep. >_> please do this. Some cons don't completely shut down at night but you need to sleep to enjoy the con. Plan it in your schedule! 

4. Bring a backpack to carry your stuff in.  The night before put in a notebook and pen (for jotting down anime you want to check out later or contact info if you make friends at the con), some fruit for snacking (apples, bananas, and oranges do pretty well - this is not lunch lol), a couple of drinks (everything is more expensive at the convention center), an extra battery for your phone or charger or charged battery bank, and some cash. When you arrive at the convention center you can put your map and schedule in there as well as anything else you grab upon entering. Put some over the counter medications (or if you have prescription strength) in your bag as well. Nothing is worse than going back to the hotel because you suddenly have a pounding headache, or your neck hurts, or even the convention food didn't sit right with you. Prepare for it to happen, especially if you get overwhelmed. As for cash, I generally bring half of my anime budget for the year with me. You can find rare gems from some vendors that will cost you dearly and amazing deals at others. Make sure you make a full round of the Dealers Room before you buy so you can prioritize your purchases and get the best deals.

5. Decide on the right hotel. One close to the convention may resolve parking and be convenient but will undoubtedly be more expensive.  One further away will require extra drive time to and from the convention and will come with parking issues, but will be cheaper. I stay at one 30 minutes away every time but we stay there everytime we are in that city so I don't mind it so much. Lots of people stay at the hotels connected to the convention center. 

6. If you can go with someone who has gone to a con before, that is ideal. Even if you get overwhelmed, they will pull you to the panels you decided on and you can recover while waiting for it to start. Without that, just try to have fun. Even if you planned to see a panel  it isn't the end of the world if you miss it. Sit back and enjoy the cosplay, take pictures (please respect the cosplayer and ask before getting shots of them. It's rare that they'd refuse but still polite to ask), and have fun. Watch a movie or preview in the theater if you need time off your feet. I remember that they previewed one of the SAO movies at the con I went to. I had an hour of nothing planned so I decided to check it out. While I really didn't like the movie, it gave me time off my feet that I really needed and time to text pictures to a friend.

7. Lastly, plan on eating out. I go to my favorite sushi restaurant at night when we go to my favorite con. The sushi options around my hometown are severely limited so I take what I can get lol. Experience the city you're in too :)

8. Miss a day if you want! I usually miss Sundays. I want to go to the Farmers Market while there and usually after noon rolls by I'm ready to buy some tomatoes to can LOL. That being said, there are usually feedback sessions on Sundays where you can tell the planners what you liked and didn't like about the con. I highly advise attending those sessions if you can. I've attended bad panels before and others that were so good they needed a bigger room. The planners will never know unless you tell them. 

Thanks a lot.