New Registrations Suspended Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AFRICAN OTAKU

Ready Player One

Really Steven SpielBerg, Sword Art Online? Who else has seen this movie and has been getting game anime vibez?

I didn't get any game anime vibes from it. Did enjoy it.  That being said, it is supposed to have a ton of Easter eggs and nods to certain shows so I imagine there might be one or two things from it. I'd consider that a compliment to the show if it made a big enough impact for an inclusion.

The movie comes out here on April 20. I'm thinking about going to see it. Haven't decided yet.

It is very good. Lots of stuff you'll recognize and it can be quite funny too. If you are interested, give it a shot. I've gone a few times. We have 5 dollar tickets on Tuesdays so the movies are fairly inexpensive to frequent weekly. 

I'm an Iron Giant fan so that part definitely satisfied me.

ok so I've just come out of the cinema and ill retract my comment of thinking if they die in game they die irl i was wrong , even tho that's how i perceived it in the trailer

there are a lot of movie , anime and game references and i can see some parts like SAO but to know you will have to watch it

wish i had the movie as id be re watching it already and id also be able to as i want pause it as there are times you'd want to as there is just so much to take in

• Optimistic 1

Knowing me, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the references go over my head, especially if referencing modern things.  Like SAO. I've never read it nor have I seen it. Retro games and stuff, I'd do better with, so that's my question. Do they have easter eggs and references to more modern things or a nice balance between older and newer?

i would say more older and as for SAO it wasn't so much reference to but the odd thing that you could say seems similar in little parts of the story

lots of old movie ang old game references tho

Posted (edited)

I didn't get any anime vibes whatsoever. Reason being, I didn't go into the theatre or even exit thinking it had anything to do with any certain anime. Or anime at all. Ready Player One is a novel written by Ernest Cline in 2011. 

If we conveniently ignore the fact that there is a whole genre about virtual reality games in the world of books, that's still at least a solid year before Sword Art Online was even published as a proper manga, letalone an anime adaption. 

Furthermore, seeing as SAO is basically a rip off of dot.Hack, I'd say Sword Art Online is absolutely the very last thing I would even think about comparing Ready Player One with.

25 minutes ago, ssjup81 said:

Knowing me, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the references go over my head, especially if referencing modern things.  Like SAO. I've never read it nor have I seen it. Retro games and stuff, I'd do better with, so that's my question. Do they have easter eggs and references to more modern things or a nice balance between older and newer?

Without any spoilers... yes... BIG yes. In fact I'd say most of the real world nods lean old school. The only 'newish' one I can even remember is that for some reason Tracer appeared in a couple of scenes, but that's about all.

Edited by Wedgy

32 minutes ago, ssjup81 said:

There will be plenty you will recognize and enjoy.  Basically, from the 70's and onward is mostly what it showcases.  That includes sci-fi movies, anime, video games, lots of stuff. 

• Agree 1