Opinions on anime’s?

Decisions

Hey this is my first post I hope you enjoy what I start. Me personally have enjoyed watching anime throughout my life and it has helped me through a lot of hard times. Anime in my opinion is an amazing thing t makes you connect with the characters and feel for them but also allows you to escape for that short amount of time which i think for  someone to be able to make something that can do that is just truly amazing. 

But despite that i would like to know your guys opinions on this and any good anime’s that make you feel like that.

• Like 1

Anime is a form of entertainment to me. I go in to enjoy whatever story is being given to me, and that's about it. I don't deny that some anime have taught me some nifty things, but I never really go into an anime with the intent of learning things, or to escape the real world, anything like that. If I'm going to watch an anime, it's simply because I want to enjoy a story. Also hence why I'm ridiculously harsh on cliffhanger endings. If I'm going into something for a story, I absolutely want the full story lol.

In another sense however, I do find a TON of enjoyment in recommending anime to people, and I've been doing this for about 3 or 4 years now ever since I had kinda amassed a good few to choose from when recommending. I'm not overly sure why I enjoy it so much, but perhaps it's as simple as "I'm happy if you enjoy what I enjoyed".

So if you ever want shows to watch, I can help ya out lol.

Ah, I'll clarify, even though I personally don't explicitly watch anime to escape or anything of the sort, I do understand where people are coming from when they say that they do that. A common trend I see in anime is incredibly bland, generic male main characters, created for the sole purpose of being as boring as possible, just so that people can have a way to overlay themselves onto said character. The less unique traits the character has, the easier this is. TONS of these shows are mode, TONS! And almost none of them have any effort put in, nor do most of them end at all I personally find this all silly, as I said, I'm here for story, and a story with an insanely boring main character and no ending is a story that I seriously don't want to bother checking out, but all that considered, I wouldn't hate a person for doing whatever they want to do, so long as they aren't super narrow minded about it. In my days of recommending, I've met MANY people that will straight-up refuse to watch an anime with a female main character just because they don't believe female MCs can be good enough. That's how bad it gets on occasion (partially due to an awful downwards spiral that occurs where you watch one of the aforementioned anime, and you like it, so you look for more like it, and there's a billion carbon copy clones of this same show, and the person likes that and gets used to it and gets the impression that anime should only be one way), and THAT is something I take an issue with. It's fine to overlay yourself, but man, don't be dumb about it.

Anyways, I've begun to ramble.

tl;dr I watch for story, if I wind up watching for another reason, yippee, but it'll never be on purpose.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

You might want to look into the Isekai genre (trapped/transported to another world). That is going to be as far from regular life as you can get. 

If you are in the steampunk mood, try out Last Exile (please understand that the first 1-2 episodes are extremely corny and are in no way representative of the rest of the anime....watch at least 4 episodes before judging and quitting).

If you enjoy Space Opera, try Crest of the Stars  (followed by Banner of the Stars).

I started watching anime before I even knew what 'anime' was. My dad used to watch Ghost In The Shell and at that age all I thought was "Ooh, Cartoon Network plays adult cartoons". I also got into shows like Zoids, Pokemon, Digimon. Honestly I don't remember how I came to learn that those shows were called anime.  

As for my opinion on anime, I don't have an exact answer except that I like the art style compared to American shows and anime series seem to have a more concrete plot instead of jumping all over the place (that's just my opinion) as well as a better storyline. I don't watch anime as much as I used to; don't get me wrong I still love anime but work and family gets in the way most days and by the end of the day all I really feel like doing is passing out onto my bed. 😂😂

On 5/30/2018 at 7:17 PM, awesomedude20 said:

Ah, I'll clarify, even though I personally don't explicitly watch anime to escape or anything of the sort, I do understand where people are coming from when they say that they do that. A common trend I see in anime is incredibly bland, generic male main characters, created for the sole purpose of being as boring as possible, just so that people can have a way to overlay themselves onto said character. The less unique traits the character has, the easier this is. TONS of these shows are mode, TONS! And almost none of them have any effort put in, nor do most of them end at all I personally find this all silly, as I said, I'm here for story, and a story with an insanely boring main character and no ending is a story that I seriously don't want to bother checking out, but all that considered, I wouldn't hate a person for doing whatever they want to do, so long as they aren't super narrow minded about it. In my days of recommending, I've met MANY people that will straight-up refuse to watch an anime with a female main character just because they don't believe female MCs can be good enough. That's how bad it gets on occasion (partially due to an awful downwards spiral that occurs where you watch one of the aforementioned anime, and you like it, so you look for more like it, and there's a billion carbon copy clones of this same show, and the person likes that and gets used to it and gets the impression that anime should only be one way), and THAT is something I take an issue with. It's fine to overlay yourself, but man, don't be dumb about it.

I agree, but I also relate to @Decisions in the sense that I have learnt a lot by connecting to good characters. A prime example of this for me is Spike, you know when I was younger I was very much like Spike throughout the whole series. I never stepped out and faced my past, I was always afraid that my past would catch up to me, I kind of ran, eventually I came to a point in my life where I had to face my past and it meant dying to who I was and starting a new. I really related to Spike on deep levels because it also involved someone like Julia, it was so impactful of an experience that it helped me understand that I had to go through that to truly know whether or not I was truly alive. Pain and suffering is so important, it teaches us what it means to love, to have something that has meaning. I absolutely agree I do not like this plastic doll character thing that's going on these days but it doesn't mean that impact can't be had from good characters in the same way :).