Top 10 Browsers you should consider trying.

drill

So, I'm the type of person that likes to waste away my free time by getting new applications and finding the perfect one. Despite the fact that there really isn't a perfect application for any task, even if you write it yourself. I figured I would share my recent experience with browsers and rate them in an unbiased opinion. Also, be warned, you probably haven't heard of half these browsers. Feel free to ask any questions about any of the browsers though.

Torch - Great for media users

[FLOAT_LEFT]35b9b468.jpg.6eccbfcc1cf76b659f7a0d4f68044d38.jpg [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Pros:

- Media downloader

- Torrent app

- Nice built in new tab page

Cons:

- Running an older version of Chrome (but is still compatible with the web store)

- Media button really annoying when it bounces.

- No Linux version

Yandex - Great for non Google users

[FLOAT_LEFT]2e7c9782.png.dd0927e9a201dd5f804f5ca13ad5600a.png [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Pros:

- Free Yandex service (mail, storage, syncing, etc.)

- Offers Opera turbo and can install Opera extensions

Cons:

- No Google account integration

- Built in services can be RAM heavy

Opera - Great for RAM conscious users

[FLOAT_LEFT]59e2170087b8b_JogosParaCelularTouchScreenGamesParaCelular.jpg.14af239c2c029e5e34d0882d117006f8.jpg [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Pros:

- Lighter than most chromium browsers

- Nice new tab page

Cons:

- Notifications are only text based and aren't useful at all

- Outdated look comparable to Firefox 28

- Can't install Chrome extensions by default (can be bypassed by an extension)

Chrome - Great for people with Google accounts

[FLOAT_LEFT]eec1412e.png.12cdeac254f19ad64dd8d0e82b700796.png [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Pros:

- Perfect Google account integration

Cons:

- Google tracks everything you do

- Doesn't have many features in comparison to other chromium browsers

Sleipnir - Great for users looking for change

[FLOAT_LEFT]Sleipnir.jpg.2b1ebee96628967f7e6f507c2fb5e1dd.jpg [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Pros:

- Cleaner look than most browsers

- Amazing text remdering

Cons:

- Hard to adapt to

- Minimal settings

Firefox - Great for extension users

[FLOAT_LEFT]firefox-5-72.png.a54403091ee3675a7f933ddadfc43e63.png [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Pros:

- Has a lot of extensions (more than chrome, but not by too much)

- Very customizable UI

- Light on RAM usage compared to any chromium browser

Cons:

- Gecko is really an outdated engine that needs to change how they render stuff

- Still on a single process (although this will change in May)

Baidu - Great for media users

[FLOAT_LEFT]baidu_spark_browser.jpg.40b4dfec578f822c6a3c291dc2c5bd88.jpg [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Pros:

- Built in media downloader

- Torrent app

Cons:

- Doesn't render half of favicons it comes across including animeforums.net

- Waiting notifications in the taskbar are extremely large and ugly

Internet Explorer - Great for casual users

[FLOAT_LEFT]ie9_vector_cs5.png.72301c19229b4c341f261f7d1af6c9ba.png [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Pros:

- It renders html5 faster than any of the other browsers

- Very light on memory usage

Cons:

- Extensions, who needs those? :P

Comodo Dragon - Great for privacy users

[FLOAT_LEFT]ed16ef6a.png.cad0b4fc1402bb8633832a7d8487d8ce.png [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Pros:

- Good built in privacy extensions

Cons:

- Just another chromium browser, not too much substance

- Lags more than chrome

- Running an outdated version of chrome

Maxthon - Great for users who want to use Trident on some pages

[FLOAT_LEFT]0e3187ff.png.39d347fab22b08b05953d1179ea47953.png [/FLOAT_LEFT]

Pros:

- Switch between Trident and Webkit at will

- Nice and clean UI that fits with Windows 8 flat metro theme

Cons:

- Extremely outdated version of chrome

- Can't install chrome extensions

- Maxthon extension store is lackluster and will probably not provide what you need.

• Useful 1
  • Informative 3

@Optic: For performance, easily chrome. If you view in 1080p, there are actually videos fine tuned to only run in chrome properly. However, these are few and far between, so any browser really has fine performance on YouTube. As for extensions in downloading, I think Torch has the best built in option (as the only other competitor here is Baidu). Although, I would say that Firefox would come in second, as its web store does not prevent addons from downloading from YouTube.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yandex Beta is very light and has a new and unintrusive interface. For those of you looking for a new and fresh experience and willing to try something that doesn't look exactly like chrome, I would highly suggest trying Yandex out. Here is a snapshot of what it looks like:

Capture.thumb.jpg.e61aefa8d3a0a00a780411161c0bb294.jpg

It uses tab grouping for tabs that are not active. So, if you look closely, you will see two dots below Youtube, meaning that there are actually two tabs there. When you click on one, both tabs will be viewable, and the last active tab at youtube.com will be viewed first. It really helps out in reducing clutter. Also, its helpful as you can close an entire tab group in the context menu.

Internet Explorer - Great for casual users

The new Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10 has been really good. I've found it very efficient on my Surface Pro 3 tablet, significant improvement on battery life. Would highly recommend it for laptop and tablet users.

As much as I love Chrome, it's such a battery hog on ALL my portable devices. My work MacBook Pro, my Surface Pro 3 tablet and my Lenovo X220 laptop. :o

The new Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10 has been really good. I've found it very efficient on my Surface Pro 3 tablet, significant improvement on battery life. Would highly recommend it for laptop and tablet users.

As much as I love Chrome, it's such a battery hog on ALL my portable devices. My work MacBook Pro, my Surface Pro 3 tablet and my Lenovo X220 laptop. :o

Opera is a good alternative to Chrome as well. I get about the same battery life using Opera as I would if I used IE. Haven't tried it with Edge yet as I haven't upgraded my laptop. Also, if you get the chance, you should try out Yandex for your desktop. If you don't like the new UI, you can revert to the old one which looks similar to other chromium browsers. Yandex pretty much built on top of Opera, so it uses significantly less RAM than chrome.

• 1 month later...
You forgot to include Tor in with that selection as it will always be the best browser.

I didn't really forget it, as Tor's main function is privacy, and in a recent article, it was shown that some Chinese hackers have bypassed that: Tor target of hack, anonymity seal broken Anyway, I would actually suggest simply using something like Ghostery or Disconnect extensions. Although, the new hornet browser you mentioned might fix the flaw in Tor, guess we'll have to wait and see.

' date=' post: 13625, member: 645"']I'm a firefox fan but open to new suggestions

It really depends on what OS you run. If you are on windows, I would highly recommend Yandex browser, as it really stands out in comparison to the rest of the chromium based browsers. Although, on Windows, Firefox is still a pretty good browser as well (I've noticed that on Linux it has a scrolling glitch that makes it unusable, so I would recommend using Chrome if you are on Linux.)

• Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been using Chrome for so long now lol. I've tried Firefox a couple times but I didn't like it that much. I gave Microsoft Edge a try when I got my new laptop, but I really don't like it at all and switched back to Chrome. I think I'll probably just stick with it, it does what I need it to lol

I use Chrome, have for a few years, and I haven't had the need to switch. o: Firefox used to get a lot of praise, but it freezes a lot? Or it used to for me. I've also tried a lot of them, because I like testing out different browsers and apps, haha.

And by Internet Explorer, do you mean Microsoft Edge? Because Edge is far superior to Explorer so far. Not nearly as much lag, and it's way more user friendly and smoothe.

Edit: Ah this is 2015 thread xD no wonder it says IE.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...