Anime/Movie games

Yuuki_Radosian

How do you feel about games that have been made from Anime or Movie titles (ie: the Bleach Heat the Soul series , the transformers game series and so on)?

Personally I believe that they can be good if their done properly , but if they aren't done properly (which is sadly the case in most instances) they fail quite badly because the fans don't like the game and it gets a bad reputation.

What are your thoughts on the subject ?

• Agree 1

I'm all too familiar with these "licensed games" (as they are referred to by the gaming community at large). lol They are so bad. Some of them can be fun when you are familiar with the franchise as a fan, but the enjoyment only goes as far as your devotion to the fandom.

One thing to note is that there's a misconception about some of these licensed games. Persona, IIRC, is not an anime-based game. Persona 4 is a game-based anime. It's the other way round. The same thing with Pokemon. It's probably why they are more well-made, because they weren't created with the intention of cashing in on an established franchise/license.

I did play a couple of decent anime-based ones like Digimon Adventure PSP, though that particular title felt like a cheap advertisement for the anime with lackluster and uninspired dialogues that didn't connect with me on an emotional level the way the anime did. The side-quests are really interesting though, as they further developed the characters through slice-of-life missions that takes you deeper into the character backstories.

And then you have Alien: Isolation, which I'll admit, has excellent gameplay value, but as a companion to one of the best sci-fi movies of all time, it really pales in comparison. I know I shouldn't compare, but I was kinda disappointed that the story wasn't even remotely amazing or entertaining like the two Alien movies. I mean, this was made for the fans of the Alien movies, right? Then why are you pandering to the video game community and focused on the gameplay instead? The story was yet another generic corporate evil storyline that ended with no resolution whatsoever as to whether if Amanda has any closure to her mother's disappearance. It just felt disappointing. It was a good step towards future Alien games, but I think it was a little overrated by the fans (IGN underrated it to a ridiculous level).

Anyway, my point is, when these games are created with the intention of cashing in on a franchise, the result is often uninspired. You can tell from start to finish that their main purpose, albeit not their sole purpose, was to slap together something decent and sell it.

• Informative 1

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment is a really cool game. :)

Although, I think it could have a bit more flare, like bettering the relationship system or even adding a bit more variety to the combat system. Also, they really needed to make it so upgrading weapons was easier.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment is a really cool game. :)

Although, I think it could have a bit more flare, like bettering the relationship system or even adding a bit more variety to the combat system. Also, they really needed to make it so upgrading weapons was easier.

SAO surprisingly had some decent games.

Anyways, I try to keep away from Movie licensed games altogether. But if I see a game of an anime I like, I would keep track of it.

• 1 month later...

i agree last song and hollow fragment are good game but thers way to much grinding plus the graphics in the new stains gate (just brought) are amzing

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Some of the James Bond games are good I find. And I agree the Sword Art games are great but I feel there is too much grinding. It might just be me I'm not a fan of sitting around killing mobs over and over again.